Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2018, 10:30 AM

21,020 posts, read 27,239,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
The turnout in many places for non-presidential election year races for the very senators and congressmen/women who vote on Puerto Rico matters isn't much higher.

At any rate, every possible option was on the ballot. Every sector had their option to choose from. Statehood, independence, and the current territorial status were all there on the ballot. If a person doesn't care enough to participate than obviously they don't care about the outcome.
Those who have voted in the majority of these referendums have voted for statehood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2018, 10:35 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,213,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
So Puerto Ricans should just content themselves with being second class citizens and living in a colony? You sound like George Wallace speaking about the Civil Rights movement in the 1960s.

Second of all, that's not what Rubio said ... you should read the expanded article with more details:
https://www.elnuevodia.com/english/e...votes-2391250/

I think they should content themselves with being Puerto Rican citizens and U.S. non-citizens. Time to cut this liberal cesspool loose to be the Venezuela they want to be.

Old 06-12-2018, 12:27 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,105,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
I think they should content themselves with being Puerto Rican citizens and U.S. non-citizens. Time to cut this liberal cesspool loose to be the Venezuela they want to be.
Do you even know what your talking about? Or are you just regurgitating whatever you hear on right wing talk radio? Words "liberal cesspool" - sure sign of an ignoramus.

I propose a deal, Puerto Rico becomes independent but in exchange all Republicans are deported to Russia along with Trump.

Old 06-12-2018, 01:22 PM

Ignoramus? google Puerto Rico debt. This welfare nation has the highest percentage of people on welfare (1/3rd on food stamps, 60% on Medicaid) and receives huge federal handouts (20% of island revenues are federal transfers). As a result of liberal entitlements and spending more than it collects since 1973, this island has crushing debt and has been teeting on a Greece scale collapse for the past decade. They declared bankruptcy (or at least the infrastructure agencies like the Electric Power Authority) in 2014 which was overturned by SCOTUS and the island has been under federal financial oversight. Google Obama and PROMESA.

This all preceded the hurricane, which did not wipe out the power grid as libs portray but was merely the straw that broke the camel's back on an electrical system that was already falling apart (island-wide mass blackouts years before the storm) and tens of billions of dollars in debt.

The residents have historically voted against statehood. Only in recent years have residents voted for statehood as they realize they cannot ever overcome their mountain of debt and are looking for the only economic lifeline possible. No doubt if they became a state, they would begin a secession movement as soon as the infrastructure was rebuilt and some degree of prosperity was attained. They do not want statehood because they want to be part of America but because they want to suck harder on the American teat.

Old 06-12-2018, 01:55 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,105,281 times
Quote:
welfare nation has the highest percentage of people on welfare (1/3rd on food stamps, 60% on Medicaid) and receives huge federal handouts (20% of island revenues are federal transfers).
Sounds like a Republican state! They also survive by leeching off of New York and California and have huge numbers of people on welfare too. Don't you dare lecture me about sucking off of someone else's teet.

http://media.cleveland.com/datacentr...b9a5948b0f.png
^ states with the highest poverty rates are all run by Republicans.

As for secession? You mean like those "patriotic" Texans that kept screaming about secession when Obama was POTUS? The number of people in ultra-conservative states supporting secession under Obama was far higher than anything ever registered in Puerto Rico in 120 years. Don't you lecture me about patriotism either.

Old 06-12-2018, 03:31 PM

Leech off California?

"In January 2017, the California Legislative Analyst’s Office said by several measures California is, indeed, a donor state, but just barely. It receives $0.99 in federal expenditures per dollar of taxes paid"

And that's only because California is a relatively young population and doesn't draw as much in SS.

I say we cut CA loose too then they can join up with PR.

Old 06-12-2018, 06:52 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,817,249 times
Quote:
Leech off California?

"In January 2017, the California Legislative Analyst’s Office said by several measures California is, indeed, a donor state, but just barely. It receives $0.99 in federal expenditures per dollar of taxes paid"

And that's only because California is a relatively young population and doesn't draw as much in SS.

I say we cut CA loose too then they can join up with PR.
sounds like a way forward for the country, break it up! lol.
each year that passes by the US slips further into debt slavery and it isn't because of PR.

Old 06-21-2018, 08:25 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,924,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritone View Post
No. "Hispanic" in the united states is just a political label. It's really means nothing. The "hispanics" born and raised in the United States more often don't even speak the Spanish language - especially not people of Puerto Rican descent. Almost no Puerto Ricans in the most "hispanic" neighborhoods in NYC speak any Spanish. Not even older people. I met a 50 year old Puerto Rican - no Spanish.

Puerto Rico, on the other hand, is a full-fleged Latin American country that is completely Spanish and culturally unrelated to the United States. They live and function in Spanish every day. The language of instruction in public schools there is Spanish. Nothing like that exists in the united states - not even the most "hispanic" places in the United States.

Their closest cultural relatives are Dominicans and Cubans, not mainland Americans.

And exactly why it should never ever be allowed into the Union as a state. I want full fledged Independence for the island and be on their way. I don't want them allowed to retain American citizenship after independence either. They are only American citizens for the ease of getting into the US, but hold no affection or feelings whatsoever for the US, its flag, or the US in general. Get rid of the place once and for all.

I feel much more at home and comfortable visiting places like Barbados or the US Virgin Islands and other British held islands in the Carib as they are much more culturally like the US. Puerto Rico is a full fledged Spanish alien culture, and for the real thing I go to Spain which I love.

Old 06-21-2018, 10:04 AM

4,600 posts, read 6,359,230 times
"Puerto Rico is a full fledged Spanish alien culture", "And exactly why it should never ever be allowed into the Union as a state"....

and yet :

Many Puerto Ricans have served in the U.S. military since 1917

WW I – 18,000
WW II – 65,000
Korean – 61,000
VietNam – 48,000
Gulf – 10,000
Enduring & Iraqi Freedom – 25,000
National Guard in 2014 – 8,400+
Veterans in PR – 100,000+

Since the Korean War, 1,131 Puerto Ricans have died in service.

Yet these patriotic citizens cannot vote for their Commander in Chief.

link

Do you still believe Puerto Rico's residents do not deserve full citizenship ?

Sure, the island would come with a lot of baggage, but those 1,131 military dead have carried a lot of our baggage.

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 06-22-2018, 05:34 AM

2,481 posts, read 2,234,517 times
^ Roger That
The 65th Regt.( Borinqueneers ) was one of the 10 highest decorated units in the Korean Conflict.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories