U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2018, 07:02 PM

94 posts, read 39,287 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasmineBasmati View Post
They come to Florida and specifically, Miami-Dade, Orlando, and Tampa because there is a large concentration of Puerto Ricans, THAT NOT ONLY SPEAK SPANISH, BUT ALSO ENGLISH. Therefore, they can feel more at home, and get help from their own peers.

Last year, I came to Orlando for the winter, from NEW YORK CITY, and have been a SNOWBIRD FOR A MYRIAD of years, all over Florida, Arizona, and California. There was large construction of stores, homes, and corporation buildings. then. I am here right now. The construction has doubled, there is a multitude of overhead highways, being built, like California. ORLANDO has DISNEY, and this is the end result of having DISNEY on their side, plus they are pushing for AMAZON CORPORATE HEADQUARTERS to move here, since they have left Silicone Valley. I am urging all the Puerto Ricans in need of jobs and housing. that speak both languages to come this way. There are lots, and lots of opportunities, and if you are EDUCATED, it will be an excellent source for employment to get ahead. Maybe that is the reason why the HURRICANE VICTIMS have been moved here......to give them a starting chance. I am sick and tired of hearing comments about Puerto Ricans, from people that do not know what they are talking about, and are simply looking for a way out to attack them. The end of WESTSIDE STORY. people, has been over for many years! We have gotten ahead up the ladder, we have EDUCATED ourselves, and are trying to do the same for the present generation. We are little by little taking over the MEDIA, thanks to the image of GERALDO RIVERA, who for many years, has been a good proponent that if we work hard, we can make it.

And do you realize, MissLoudmouth, that there is tremendous racism in many different states toward any person that speaks SPANISH. We, Puerto Ricans, who are BONA-FIDE AMERICAN CITIZENS, are being treated in many states as ILLEGAL ALIENS. I have travelled about 45 states out of the 50, NORTH, SOUTH, EAST, WEST, three times. I was born in Puerto Rico, and have a slightly-accented-speech, therefore, the moment they hear my accent, I become an Illegal Alien, and people treated me differently.......although not without a fight.

In Fallbrook, California, I was run out -of -the- highway two different times, after stopping at a 7-11 by members of the ARYAN NATION, whose father lived there......now he lives in Sandpoint, Idaho, however, his son still lives in Fallbrook, because they spotted my accent. Do you think being Hispanic/Spanish/Latina, is easy? You tell me, Missloudmoth.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion1999 View Post
I actually read the article....but I don't have all of her information because I'm not her caseworker and the reporter never bothered to interview her caseworker to get any details about her case. All this is 1 sided and incomplete.

The article says: "Two and a half months after fleeing their home in Puerto Rico, Maria Baez Claudio was told she and her 5-year-old grandson had to leave the Super 8 motel in Kissimmee because their federal housing assistance was running out.“We have nowhere to go,” said Baez, 53, who had been living in a public-housing complex in San Juan before coming to Orlando. “We have no family here. We have no financial options to move anywhere. We are practically on the streets.”
Baez has benefited from FEMA’s Transitional Shelter Assistance — a hotel voucher program for families displaced by Hurricane Maria — along with her grandson, Christian, who has severe brain damage that affects his abilities to speak and walk."

“I filled out the application, but they said that San Juan was supposedly habitable, even if San Juan is still not powered at 100 percent. It’s at about 50 percent, and the power comes and goes. And that’s one of the reasons I didn’t qualify [for the extension],” Baez said.

Baez, a nurse practitioner, became unemployed on the island after the few patients she tended to moved away. She is relying on food stamps to survive as she cares for Christian.

Facts on the story so far:

1) She is a professional nurse that has was living in Public Housing in Puerto Rico before the hurricane.

2) She gets food stamps......she is a nurse living in housing and getting food stamps doing the job that the parents refused to do and the taxpayers have to pay the bill.

3) Her 5-year-old grandson, Christian, has severe brain damage that affects his abilities to speak and walk.

my questions that reporter never bothers to ask or find out in the story:

1) Where are the parents of this child that the grandmother has to take care of a 5-year-old by herself and be all alone in Florida? Are the parents alive (father and mother )? are they paying her child support for this child? if not, why not? if they are sending Grandma money, how much?.

2) if this child is disabled by law. To what degree? If a child is disabled they get Disability benefits and other federal help. Again, since we don't have her file we don't know her history and details. A case worker would know.

3) She is a professional nurse, has she apply to work while in Florida? Nurses get paid good wages in any state. I'm going by the story here.

4) How much she has in her bank account and her assets.......that's why you need to speak to her case worker for this story because they have access to all of that.

5) Can she go back to the public housing in Puerto Rico the one she was living in? if not, why not? details would be nice.

6) is she getting any kind of help from family members? if not, why not? and if she is, how much?

Sorry if I don't get outraged by an incomplete 1 sided story news story that the reporter is too lazy to get all the facts to help her properly. I'm the kind of person that like to get all the information needed to know all facts before I form an opinion and give my advice.

if you have a disabled 5-year-old and are low income, you get a lot more than just housing and food stamps......I have a single mother with a down syndrome son and she gets lots of benefits from the feds and state and they get special education paid by the feds.

Whenever anybody brings me a case like this about welfare and federal aid, I usually tell them to get all the details because each case is different and case workers have to go by federal guidelines and by the book when giving money and benefits away.
Thank you! The article seems short on facts.

I was also curious why she left the public housing in PR for the motel--if it was destroyed in the hurricane, or what. Because extended stay hotels often aren't that safe and not a good environment for a child to be in. But the article doesn't explain that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2018, 07:48 PM

345 posts, read 565,749 times
It’s unfortunate this forum has fallen victim to the repetitive, ignorant and intententially misleading posts by a several known forum participants and several new low count posters / posers whose sole intent is to denigrate the Puerto Rican people and the islands recovery. Redundant right wing ignorant BS... fortunately this forum is a bubble unto itself and this drivel is of little to no consequence in the real world where good people continue to do good work. Picture these circle jerks in a room together exchanging glances between each other and their computer screens flush with expressions of simple minded pride, this is the exte

Old 01-25-2018, 07:58 PM

9,084 posts, read 3,068,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissLoudmouth View Post
Thank you! The article seems short on facts.

I was also curious why she left the public housing in PR for the motel--if it was destroyed in the hurricane, or what. Because extended stay hotels often aren't that safe and not a good environment for a child to be in. But the article doesn't explain that.

the article doesn't explain lots of things............I want to know where are the parents of this 5-year-old with a disability that the Grandma has to take care of him by herself with government aid and all alone in Florida.....it would have been nice if the reporter asked more details questions about her case and history. It changes the story if both parents are dead or if both parents abandoned their son with Grandma and didn't want any responsibility and are deadbeats and we the taxpayers have to pay for it. Details make a huge difference in a story.

Florida took them as a temp. basis.....if they are not going to find work in Florida then they have to go back to Puerto Rico eventually. The Puerto Rican government is still receiving Billions of dollars in federal aid and welfare benefits a year which this woman and her disabled grandson are entitled to get.
I do believe in extensions and extra help but that has to be on a case by case basis, not the norm.

I don't want to judge this woman because is not fair without knowing her case in details. Only her caseworker has all that information. She gets props alone that she is taking care of her 5 year old grandson with a disability while the parents are awol, on that she needs to be admired and be supported in her community in Puerto Rico.

I just have a different view than others what is the role of the federal government and how much they should be spending and what limit they should have and what demands they should require for the people they are giving the money to.

Old 01-25-2018, 08:16 PM

241 posts, read 120,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissLoudmouth View Post
You are the one who has what you're talking about. Florida is not full of great high paying jobs for the educated. Disney jobs are known for low pay.

And living in a Kissimmee Super 8 motel until you run out of money is not a way to better your life.

I am fully aware of what is happening ALL over Florida, I have lived here, before moving to NYC. I know that DISNEY, and Florida for that matter, have low-paying jobs. However, that is a start for them, and they can move up the ladder, as I DID, as they become more aware of their OPTIONS. Orlando has cheaper living arrangements, and is BOOMING, and that is not going to stop people from moving here.

And YOU are giving me the impression that YOU do not want them here!

Old 01-25-2018, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unPescador View Post
It’s unfortunate this forum has fallen victim to the repetitive, ignorant and intententially misleading posts by a several known forum participants and several new low count posters / posers whose sole intent is to denigrate the Puerto Rican people and the islands recovery. Redundant right wing ignorant BS... fortunately this forum is a bubble unto itself and this drivel is of little to no consequence in the real world where good people continue to do good work. Picture these circle jerks in a room together exchanging glances between each other and their computer screens flush with expressions of simple minded pride, this is the exte

there you go again, going off ...... insulting people here and getting personal just because you don't agree with their opinions about federal aid and welfare and putting limits ........Redundant right wing ignorant BS??????? I guess that makes you a smart lefty liberal intellectual. Snowflake put your 2 cents on the topic.

Quote:
whose sole intent is to denigrate the Puerto Rican people and the islands recovery.
yes DOC! you got me!!!! that's my intent, to denigrate myself, my parents, my grandparents, my wife and my kids and the island I was born in and grew up in and destroy all Puerto Ricans and Puerto Rico with words. We need you to defend all Puerto Rican's feelings and all Puerto Rican matters from injustices in the forums because you are the Puerto Rican Warrior Champion. You know best. What are you a 2nd or 3rd generation Puerto Rican born in the states that know very little about the island with inferiority complex issues?

Do you need a safe space?

Old 01-25-2018, 08:43 PM

345 posts, read 565,749 times
Safe place, no. Just tired of reading blather. I’ve been looking for a word thats describes a person who has an internalized disdain for their own people, there are some that seem close but don’t quite nail it. If you figure it out, please post. It’ll be the first in quite awhile that you’ve presented anything new and informative.

Old 01-25-2018, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unPescador View Post
Safe place, no. Just tired of reading blather. I’ve been looking for a word thats describes a person who has an internalized disdain for their own people, there are some that seem close but don’t quite nail it. If you figure it out, please post. It’ll be the first in quite awhile that you’ve presented anything new and informative.

you got me DOC!!! you are the only one that loves Puerto Ricans and Puerto Rico and everything you write is intelligent and informative. I want to think like you and be like you, You are amazing! True Puerto Rican, PURE BLOOD!!!! anybody that has a different opinion than you then that person is a FAKE Puerto Rican that has an internalized disdain for their own people, got it! real deep intellectual thinking there!!!!!!

I didn't know to love Puerto Rico and Puerto Ricans you have to get sensitive and defensively stupid about legit criticism about the problems in the island and bad behavior. Talk about being blind about your own and fake patriotism from a 2nd/3rd generation Puerto Rican born in the states lecturing me about being Puerto Rican.....funny!

if you are tired why do you read and come here to complain? I have my personal opinion of you but you don't see me coming to a topic that has NOTHING to do about you and b!@tch about it or attack posters here because they have a different opinion than me. Not only it's against forum rules but childish.

but like we say in P.R....."mete mano" I got your number a long time ago.

Old 01-26-2018, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion1999 View Post
the article doesn't explain lots of things............I want to know where are the parents of this 5-year-old with a disability that the Grandma has to take care of him by herself with government aid and all alone in Florida.....it would have been nice if the reporter asked more details questions about her case and history. It changes the story if both parents are dead or if both parents abandoned their son with Grandma and didn't want any responsibility and are deadbeats and we the taxpayers have to pay for it. Details make a huge difference in a story.

Florida took them as a temp. basis.....if they are not going to find work in Florida then they have to go back to Puerto Rico eventually. The Puerto Rican government is still receiving Billions of dollars in federal aid and welfare benefits a year which this woman and her disabled grandson are entitled to get.
I do believe in extensions and extra help but that has to be on a case by case basis, not the norm.

I don't want to judge this woman because is not fair without knowing her case in details. Only her caseworker has all that information. She gets props alone that she is taking care of her 5 year old grandson with a disability while the parents are awol, on that she needs to be admired and be supported in her community in Puerto Rico.

I just have a different view than others what is the role of the federal government and how much they should be spending and what limit they should have and what demands they should require for the people they are giving the money to.
Agreed, and while she gets props from me as well she needs to move back to Puerto Rico. She's already set up in the welfare and public housing system there.
Makes no sense to add another person to the rolls in Florida.

Old 01-26-2018, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasmineBasmati View Post
as they become more aware of their OPTIONS. Orlando has cheaper living arrangements, and is BOOMING

Orlando rents rising twice as fast as those elsewhere in U.S. - Orlando Sentinel

Rising Orlando rents outpacing wages - Orlando Sentinel

Old 01-26-2018, 06:59 PM

241 posts, read 120,513 times

Rents are increasing almost everywhere, and Orlando is no different. The increase have come this year, because Florida, Texas, Utah, Colorado, and Arizona (where the EX-Silicone Valley guys) are building a City-within-a City, have been designated as the States with the most growth and opportunity, starting this year. Last year, rents were not increasing as much, near Orlando. And this is due to what is happening in the I-4 Corridor.

As you probably know, if you live in Orlando, there is a multitude of buildings, corporate and otherwise, being built along I-4. Overhead highways en masse. Last year, I saw lots of construction, but this year, it is MASSIVE. It took us almost three- and -a- half hours to go from the beginning point of I-4 to Clermont. And it should not have taken us more than two hours. There is no way that corporations are going to build skyscrapers, unless something very lucrative is on its way. But, there are many small towns out of Orlando proper, going West, on I-4, like Clermont, Poinciana, Davenport, Haines City, in Polk County, and counties like Lake County, Osceola, Lake Wales, with myriad of small towns also, like Lakeland, Winter Haven, etc. where housing and apartments cost less than in Orlando proper, yet they are not so far away from Orlando, that people can go to work to Orlando. So where there is a will, there is a way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or