U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2018, 12:57 PM

2,029 posts, read 1,431,976 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissLoudmouth View Post
They need to go to places wherever there are jobs and affordable place to live. Not all try to come to the same small area in Florida.
Especially if you have no relatives, friends or support in Florida.
So true. Where I live in the, a lot of Venezuelans are moving here via Florida. They are fleeing in large numbers due to the crisis in Venezuela, are just as poor if not poorer than the Puerto Ricans who fled the island, and they come to the US by plane through either Miami or Orlando. However, a lot of them don't SETTLE in Florida; they are moving all throughout the 48 continental states, looking for places that are cheaper to live in and easier to find work in than the already overcrowded Florida cities. Puerto Ricans don't seem to get that, though, for whatever reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2018, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasmineBasmati View Post
You are from Santo Domingo.I am Puerto Rican. BORN in Puerto Rico, RAISED in New York City, and I have never sought out a penny from the government.......even when in need. So your rendition stating that PUERTO RICANS are "very government dependent," is including ALL. And I resent that.
Well, for the most part, Puerto Ricans who live on the island ARE very government dependent. I mean, PR is a poor, economically challenged US territory. Their relationship with the US government IS all that's has been keeping them afloat for decades (and yet they are still in debt). That's why Puerto Rico can never get enough votes for independence from the US; most of the people on the island LIKE having all the benefits that come along with getting government support from the most economically powerful country on the planet WITHOUT having to become a state. It's nothing to get offended about it. It just is what it is.

Old 02-16-2018, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Nobody in my family has ever been on welfare. And not one of my friends. And yes, for women and children without a father, they can apply until they can get on their own two feet. We are AMERICAN CITIZENS and if we can help other countries like VENEZUELA, and MOSLEM countries to come into this country and apply for benefits, AMERICAN CITIZENS should come first.

Now that VENEZUELA is in turmoil, expect most of the country also to come to Florida. Already, Columbia is trying to close them out of their country. And Guatemala, is having a civil war.

My advise to you, MOVE OUT, if you do not welcome them here.
LOL, see? You're having it both ways. Puerto Ricans are always---in your own words---"American citizens" who "should come first" when it's convenient for them and when they need American help. Yet, you get mad and offended when someone says that Puerto Ricans are government dependent...?

Old 02-16-2018, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juggar View Post
Absolutely agree. They are in hotels, these are not places you can just live at indefinitely. Unfortunately people get complacent.

Honestly sounds like PR was a ****hole in the first place rife with corruption or just horrible mismanagement. I dont blame them for not wanting to go back to the same old ****ty life but they knew the free ride would end at some point. But what luck, they are citizens so they can literally get a job anywhere on the main land and move (I would do this).

70% have power back and if your home has power you should go back, exceptions should be made for those without power still but that's it.
I'm not here to name call and demean Puerto Rico for what it is, but it kinda reminds me of New Orleans after Katrina. New Orleans has long been a very poor city with few opportunities for natives, so as much as many New Orleanians complained about wanting to go back home after Katrina, a whoooole lot of them saw how much nicer and better other parts of the country they were relocated to were and never really even TRIED to go back to New Orleans, even after they were technically able to.

Old 02-16-2018, 01:38 PM

94 posts, read 39,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex Luthor View Post
Well, for the most part, Puerto Ricans who live on the island ARE very government dependent. I mean, PR is a poor, economically challenged US territory. Their relationship with the US government IS all that's has been keeping them afloat for decades (and yet they are still in debt). That's why Puerto Rico can never get enough votes for independence from the US; most of the people on the island LIKE having all the benefits that come along with getting government support from the most economically powerful country on the planet WITHOUT having to become a state. It's nothing to get offended about it. It just is what it is.
She gets offended by anything, pretty much.

Old 02-17-2018, 01:03 PM

241 posts, read 120,300 times
Quote:
So true. Where I live in the, a lot of Venezuelans are moving here via Florida. They are fleeing in large numbers due to the crisis in Venezuela, are just as poor if not poorer than the Puerto Ricans who fled the island, and they come to the US by plane through either Miami or Orlando. However, a lot of them don't SETTLE in Florida; they are moving all throughout the 48 continental states, looking for places that are cheaper to live in and easier to find work in than the already overcrowded Florida cities. Puerto Ricans don't seem to get that, though, for whatever reason.

As a Puerto Rican born there, and raised in NYC, when people leave the ISLAND due to a TRAGEDY as such, they are not leaving it by choice, and thus, are looking forward to RETURN to this very-beautiful ISLAND, where the soil is so rich, that Avocados grow to three-pounds or more each. Therefore, the proximity between Florida and Puerto Rico, is a short one, plus there are myriad of Puerto Ricans from Miami to Orlando to Tampa, that makes them feel comfortable in their new, NOT BY CHOICE, environment.

The Venezuelans, on the other hand, they are NOT returning to their country for a very- long time. Two different countries, two different perspectives.

Old 02-17-2018, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by papichulo2 View Post
thank you!!!!!!!! You are fantastica!Going to SD! Dont listen to them they don't know anything.

papichulo, I fathom whether you are Puerto Rican! Why are you encouraging a Puerto Rican HATER such as MissLoudmouth, to have them go to a State so different from the myriad of other states, to MILK COWS? Nothing wrong in milking cows, when it is done by choice, not because some HATER wants them out of Orlando.

Old 02-17-2018, 01:29 PM

Quote:
LOL, see? You're having it both ways. Puerto Ricans are always---in your own words---"American citizens" who "should come first" when it's convenient for them and when they need American help. Yet, you get mad and offended when someone says that Puerto Ricans are government dependent...?
Mr. Tex Luthor: With all due respect, when you state, "Puerto Ricans are government dependent, you are placing ALL PUERTO RICANS, in the same boat, including me. And myriad of them have never been "government dependent." Therefore, yes, I take it personally.

How about "SOME." Because as a Puerto Rican, I have worked three jobs to get an education, and there are many more that have done such. Thank you,

Old 02-17-2018, 02:53 PM

94 posts, read 39,176 times
Quote:
Why are you encouraging a Puerto Rican HATER such as MissLoudmouth, to have them go to a State so different from the myriad of other states, to MILK COWS? .
Because he smart. Have you caught on yet that not one other person on here agrees with you that they should all move to Orlando?

Old 02-17-2018, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissLoudmouth View Post
People throw trash on the beach and streets there. Not beautiful.

People throw trash in many other beaches, including Florida. What do you think of this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfoyg3gK3Lc
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or