U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2018, 05:45 PM

4,630 posts, read 7,192,146 times

Advertisements

I was wondering, is there any particular reason why self-checkout is unpopular in Puerto Rico? The only store I have seen it in PR is Home Depot. Neither Walmart nor any of the local grocery stores use them in PR.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2018, 07:36 AM

345 posts, read 565,122 times
Baiting....? I'm suspicious of the type of answers you're soliciting.
Keep in mind that every self-checkout station a company uses is at least one less job available. Wherever these are installed it's to eliminate employees and lower overhead.

Old 01-27-2018, 08:36 AM

9,063 posts, read 3,057,291 times
Business Org. did a Pros and Cons article of using Self-Checkouts:

https://www.business.org/software/po...elf-checkouts/

one of the cons is:
Potential for Theft
Although most systems are equipped with some form of anti-shoplifting technology, there is often a higher likelihood of theft occurring. Because employees are unable to monitor customer transactions as closely on self-checkouts, it’s easier for customers to steal. Some examples would be replacing bar codes of high priced items with lower priced items or just not scanning an item or two. When caught, it’s possible for customers to plead ignorance or blame it on an equipment malfunction.

Tech-savvy millennials are most comfortable with self-checkout, whereas some older shoppers tend to avoid it. But these machines can be touchy, and some transactions cannot be completed without the help of an employee. This is annoying and frustrating for shoppers trying to check out as well as those waiting.

Old 01-27-2018, 09:32 AM

4,774 posts, read 7,493,323 times
For some things self-check out is better.

Say you need to buy over-the-counter medicine for some embarrassing health issue, with self-check out you can actually shop at your regular pharmacy without the check out lady/guy that usually attends and knows you know or even wonder what the heck is wrong with you this time. Some health issues are best left in the privacy lane. lol

PR merchants probably don't trust the technology yet or they don't trust a large percentage of their customers. Its one or the other or both.

There is a remote possibility they are being cheap and don't want to spend more money than they have to on their businesses or they think their electricity bill is going to skyrocket, but I doubt it.

Old 01-27-2018, 10:04 AM

it depends on the area. If you have a high crime area with high unemployment then people are going to steal or find ways to steal and this self chekout just spells out trouble for some merchants.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxINJzqzn4w

Old 01-27-2018, 07:00 PM

4,630 posts, read 7,192,146 times
Specifically, Walmart doesn't use them in PR while they use them in most stores in the mainland. Only Home Depot seems to use them in PR.

Old 01-27-2018, 07:17 PM

94 posts, read 39,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
I was wondering, is there any particular reason why self-checkout is unpopular in Puerto Rico? The only store I have seen it in PR is Home Depot. Neither Walmart nor any of the local grocery stores use them in PR.

I don't know where people come up with these questions. PR has lots of Target and WaWa stores and all of them use self checkout.

Old 01-27-2018, 07:33 PM

I don't think Puerto Rico has Target. I have never seen one......I have seen lots of Wal-Marts and K-marts.

Old 02-02-2018, 12:13 AM

2,278 posts, read 1,448,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
or even wonder what the heck is wrong with you this time.
You're a passing thought to the cashier. Once you're checked out, their focus is on the next person in line or when their next break time is.

Old 02-02-2018, 07:44 AM

327 posts, read 126,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
Damn right there is...next trip too soon you will see yourself standing in lines with baskets 2 self-check-out. I saw it yesterday. Probably will soon be illegal for you to gather a buggy full and walk away...they probably don't like learning how to march to this new tune in the air...ain't no other way? If the crowd gets bigger, they better keep all their lanes wide open or find a better way. 130 Million babies born each year is beginning to boggle my mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories