U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2018, 07:35 PM

4,093 posts, read 3,386,997 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritone View Post
Puerto Rico is the largest modern example of Stockholm syndrome. They are a nation of people under colonial rule for over a hundred years who have grown attached to and dependent on their colonial rulers and do not want to be free and independent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5P31d-oAZQ&t=24s

Puerto Rico's relationship with the United States is in many respects comparable to American slavery because Puerto Rico belongs to the United States. It's not part of, but rather, the property of the U.S, and it's under complete U.S control. Like Puerto Ricans today, many U.S slaves did not want to be free, grew attached to their owners, and thought it was their place to be a slave. They had the same worries that Puerto Ricans have, such as "What are we going to do?", "How are going to take care of ourselves", "We're going to starve".

Should those slaves not have been emancipated just because they didn't want to be - just because they had grown complacent and comfortable with their condition? No, because slavery was morally wrong. In the same respect, colonialism is wrong and it should be abolished, irrespective of whether the colonial subjects want to be independent or not.

When an abducted child is discovered after years of being held captive, they are emancipated. No one asks the child if they want to be or not. That doesn't matter because child abduction is wrong. They may not want to be, but their opinion is irrelevant because they have been brainwashed. In the same respect the Puerto Rican plebiscites are only testament to the depth of their delusion/conditioning and should not be taken seriously. The right thing to do is make them independent.

It's is ridiculous that in 2018, the United States still has colonies. We need to brake away from our colonial past and help all those nations become free independent nations. The people who do not want independence, have sadly succumbed to Stockholm syndrome (a mental sickness), and so don't know what's best for themselves.

Statehood is not the answer. That's a step beyond colonialism. They would cease to be a distinct people, and their problems would worsen. It's better for both Puerto Rico and the United States that we end our colonial relationship. This has dragged on for 100 years with no resolution. We need to just end it now.

The independistas are the only Puerto Ricans left who are aware of this, are proud of who they are, and haven't succumbed to colonial stockholm syndrome.
"Do it bro"

BREAK FREE FROM THE CHAINS THAT BIND YOU!

JUST DO IT!

SET YOURSELVES FREE AND FLY LIKE AN EAGLE

GO ON, DO IT!
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2018, 08:27 PM

4,771 posts, read 7,490,512 times
This thread reminds me of when I first saw this video, I thought to myself that maybe if PR becomes a state they would take the video down.

But then I saw this video on Hawaii and a big never mind engulfed my mind. lol

Old 02-08-2018, 11:05 PM

9,049 posts, read 3,053,826 times
You know both videos are full of cr@p with half truths and half lies. There was never any gag order to ban the Puerto Rican flag or the independence party. If you bother to find the actual law in Puerto Rico it doesn't say any of that. It just makes illegal to overthrow the government by force and violence but every country on the planet has the same laws.

it's the victimhood mentally....." my life sucks and the Americans are to blame"..... let us forget all the good things and production Puerto Rico made from 1898 to 2018 under U.S. rule and compare that to the other Latin Republics and then come back and complain.

This is their narrative:

Americans invade P.R.
Americans forced a gag order that no P.R. can waive their flag in public or talk about independence
Americans exploited Puerto Rico's economy and left them with debt
Americans used P.R. for wars
Americans bombed the cr@p out of Vieques

anybody that doesn't know any better believes this propaganda.

it's like for 120 years, the U.S. has never done anything positive for Puerto Rico. It was all bad for 120 years of abuse under American rule....how did we survive all that misery....LOL

this is what happens when you talk to an independentista anti-American who can't put anything under perspective.

Old 02-09-2018, 06:19 AM

94 posts, read 39,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion1999 View Post

it's like for 120 years, the U.S. has never done anything positive for Puerto Rico. It was all bad for 120 years of abuse under American rule....how did we survive all that misery....LOL

But all good under Spain!

Old 02-09-2018, 06:41 AM

7,624 posts, read 8,113,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion1999 View Post
She has to be honest with the residents of San Juan and explain why if she is for independence she is in the party of pro commonwealth?

That’s like Ruben Berrios being in the statehood party just to be in power but many figured her out a while back, she is in politics for herself above all and be in power.

Everything she has done since the hurricane is politically calculated for her to run for governor for 2024 and be a rock star in the Democrat party in the U.S.
Because otherwise she'd never hold elected office. Most Populares realize this, that's why she was booed at the party's general assembly in April of last year. There was also a motion for the PPD's Governing Board to expel all so called "soberanistas" but they shelved it because they realized it would split the vote and allow the pro-statehood PNP to win every election. Soberanistas make up about 25-35% of the PPD.

She'll never be a resident of La Fortaleza ... I think she has her eyes on another big, old house: the White House.

Old 02-09-2018, 06:44 AM

7,624 posts, read 8,113,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissLoudmouth View Post
But all good under Spain!
Well said!

It's so funny to see independenistas bash the United States when Spain was 100x worse. Nobody ever talks about what the conquistadors did to the Tainos.

Old 02-09-2018, 07:08 AM

2,487 posts, read 1,270,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasmineBasmati View Post
starting by getting rid of the Major of San Juan, and her thinly-veiled Independence love, for Puerto Rico.
But, but,...She promised me a hat and a T-Shirt....

wondering how she managed to get t-shirts and hats produced so quickly during all the chaos of the huracáns?

She seems to also have an endless supply of that blonde/auburn hair coloring that was reported to have been in short supply right after the storms.

Old 02-09-2018, 07:13 AM

2,487 posts, read 1,270,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissLoudmouth View Post
Yeah no. Nice try maggy, but I just things to do besides listen to you. Not everyone lives on here all the time time.
Maggy? Oooh, I kind of like that...Is that a term of endearment?

Old 02-09-2018, 12:14 PM

94 posts, read 39,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.magoo View Post
Maggy? Oooh, I kind of like that...Is that a term of endearment?
You tell me.

Old 02-09-2018, 12:56 PM

9,049 posts, read 3,053,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
Because otherwise she'd never hold elected office. Most Populares realize this, that's why she was booed at the party's general assembly in April of last year. There was also a motion for the PPD's Governing Board to expel all so called "soberanistas" but they shelved it because they realized it would split the vote and allow the pro-statehood PNP to win every election. Soberanistas make up about 25-35% of the PPD.

I agree. They call them "MELONES" (green outside/red inside). I had an uncle (R.I.P) that was a Melon. Hardcore Independentista, we thought he was a Machetero in his younger days because he was that hardcore but he voted for the PPD and was an active member of that party because he was promised a job in government and when the PPD either won at the governorship or Mayor of San Juan, he got a good paying job but he was always an independentista by heart. He used to work at the "Registro Demografico de Puerto Rico" in the 80's and 90's. When the statehood party won elections, many thought they were getting fired or demoted because that's how things work in government jobs in P.R. (sadly it's all politics)

When Rafael Hernandez Colon was governor and he and the party came out with "UNION PERMANENTE" (Permanent Union with the U.S.) the "soberanistas" (melones) of the party got pissed off including my uncle. I remember his words, "he sold us out" he used the term "arrodillados"........ and some walked out of the party Assembly. I laughed and told him why you guys don't go back to the PIP if you want independence so much and he basically said that Ruben Berrios was a smart guy but that party could never win an election and he ran that party like a dictator by prohibiting primaries and the best way to get independence or "SOBERANIA" (another word for independence) was in the PPD and right now their only popular and vocal leader in that wing of the party is Carmen Yulin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories