U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2018, 07:19 AM

1,463 posts, read 2,145,345 times

Advertisements

Have a friend that owns a truck repair service in New Hampshire.He's desperate for mechanics that know diesel repair,brakes etc.Would supply a car,arrange housing and pay $25/$30 hourly depending on experience.Colleges in USA are not teching trades and many jobs are not being filled.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2018, 07:22 AM

6,296 posts, read 10,466,630 times
Maybe he should offer internships and paid education instead? Too many employers won't work with people like they did in the past.

Old 04-24-2018, 12:19 PM

765 posts, read 479,144 times
This isn't just in the U.S., it is a world wide problem. I just read an article that was based on Europe, it basically said that the millennial generation looks down on any industry where manual labor is required. In Europe, many construction companies have such a labor shortage that projects are being delayed. They are saying that the entire labor force is mainly men in their 40's, 50's, and 60's. With virtually no younger people filling in, they are afraid that there is going to be a knowledge gap once the current workforce moves into retirement. They are looking to robots and automation to try and fill in the gap.

Hey OP, for your friend that needs help, he should reach out to veterans organizations. The military still trains and uses heavy equipment mechanics, and most don't make it to retirement. They can put out the word. They at least will know all of the basics.

Old 04-25-2018, 12:36 PM

6,296 posts, read 10,466,630 times
Some millennials may look down on manual labor but there are still loads of unemployed in the US who could be trained in skills like auto mechanics if they were given the incentives and possibilities to do so.

Look at the threads on "why should I go to a 4 year college" in the education forum. Plenty of people there who just want job training (and can't afford to pay big tuitions)- but employers will only hired the trained and experienced when they should be grabbing the best of the candidates and training them. For example, why not take some promising individuals (give them a test!) and offer them $15-20 while in training?

This is also true of many professional jobs. Have you looked at the requirements and experience some employers are asking for vs what they pay? They need to get real.

Old 04-25-2018, 06:43 PM

26 posts, read 8,018 times
newsflash Puerto Rico and Virgin Islands are part of the USA

Old 04-26-2018, 04:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chloe's Choice View Post
newsflash Puerto Rico and Virgin Islands are part of the USA
I know that....stationed at Ramey AFB back in the day.Should have said "mainland"

Old 04-28-2018, 06:47 AM

2,487 posts, read 1,272,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samiamnh View Post
I know that....stationed at Ramey AFB back in the day.Should have said "mainland"
or CONUS..lotta nit pickers around here, Sam
Miré ,
I just flew out of the old Ramey AFB a few days ago. (BQN) Redeye to Newark NJ.

Amazing old place to see..what years where you stationed there?
What was your MOS?

Old 04-29-2018, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.magoo View Post
or CONUS..lotta nit pickers around here, Sam
Miré ,
I just flew out of the old Ramey AFB a few days ago. (BQN) Redeye to Newark NJ.

Amazing old place to see..what years where you stationed there?
What was your MOS?
I was there for two years 60/62
Totally fell in love with the island.Back then oxen were still used in the rural sugar cane fields and the people were welcoming and friendly.Beautiful sound of Spanish music was in the air everywhere,little rum shacks along the road ,beautiful beaches.We still vacation there and usually stay in San Juan but always visit the western side of the island.

Old 04-29-2018, 08:39 AM

2,487 posts, read 1,272,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samiamnh View Post
I was there for two years 60/62
Totally fell in love with the island.Back then oxen were still used in the rural sugar cane fields and the people were welcoming and friendly.Beautiful sound of Spanish music was in the air everywhere,little rum shacks along the road ,beautiful beaches.We still vacation there and usually stay in San Juan but always visit the western side of the island.
I believe you and I had a discussion about Ramey AFB a while back here.

I have a place in Rincón..fly into The old Ramey and it takes me less than 20 minutes to be at my place.
sure beats the loooong ride to Rincon to and from San Juan.

Old 04-30-2018, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.magoo View Post
I believe you and I had a discussion about Ramey AFB a while back here.

I have a place in Rincón..fly into The old Ramey and it takes me less than 20 minutes to be at my place.
sure beats the loooong ride to Rincon to and from San Juan.
Good choice......beautiful surf and best BBQ on the island
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories