Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2018, 08:57 PM

26 posts, read 23,403 times

Advertisements

Bring it on! Bring it all on!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2018, 07:00 AM

7,326 posts, read 12,325,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Macy's is not high end, so you're comparing apples and oranges. And the presence or lack thereof of Macys is no reflection on how high end retailers would do. Sure, if you drop ONE high end store in PR, it's not going to do well. But if you create a whole shopping area with multiple retailers and high end resort hotels, it will draw more tourism. To quote the movie ... "if you build it, they will come."
Macy's does carry some higher end brands than JCPenney and Kohl's such as Polo Ralph Lauren, Tommy Hilfiger, and Calvin Klein, so they are somewhat a step above. I would say they slot above JCPenney/Kohl's but below Dillard's.

Old 05-02-2018, 09:27 AM

16,414 posts, read 12,487,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
Macy's does carry some higher end brands than JCPenney and Kohl's such as Polo Ralph Lauren, Tommy Hilfiger, and Calvin Klein, so they are somewhat a step above. I would say they slot above JCPenney/Kohl's but below Dillard's.
I wouldn't consider those higher end brands.

Old 05-02-2018, 10:41 AM

Quote:
I wouldn't consider those higher end brands.
I consider those high end, but not ultra high end like Burberry, Dunhill, or Polo Ralph Lauren Purple Label.

It seems that some of the highest brands that JCPenney and Kohl's carry are brands such as Levi's, Nike, Under Armor, Columbia, etc. IZOD and Chaps (Ralph Lauren's most basic brand) are also among their higher tier brands, but don't compare to some of the higher end brands at Macy's in terms of price. However, both JCPenney and Kohl's seem to be dominated by the private label products.

Old 05-02-2018, 02:19 PM

24,447 posts, read 25,978,821 times
^^ kohl's, Penny's and Sears appear to have some issues.

https://www.consumeraffairs.com/retail/kohls.html

JCPenney, Kohl's, Macy's and Sears sued over misleading prices

Old 05-02-2018, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motormaker View Post
I don't think this should have any impact at all on Kohl's entering Puerto Rico. I never pay list prices for my clothes, and I don't think most Puerto Ricans do either. Plus, clothing in Puerto Rico tends to be priced higher anyway, which is why it may sometimes make sense to order the products using Amazon Prime and get stateside prices, although not everyone has Prime membership and Amazon doesn't offer free shipping to non-Prime members in Puerto Rico, which is why in Puerto Rico there is still a place for brick and mortar retailers. If Sears goes under, I think Kohl's can easily fill in the void and give JCPenney some competition.

Old 05-03-2018, 04:07 PM

1,999 posts, read 4,872,333 times
They have Guamanians that can afford Louis Vuitton,Tiffany,Bulgari or Gucci,but these stores in Guam mostly cater to the tourists who will spend $$$$ on high end products...Guamanians mostly prefer shopping at Big Box Stores or The Mall just like everyone else on the U.S Mainland.

I'm surprised their is no Kohl's Store in Puerto Rico...What's even more shocking is The State of Hawaii doesn't have a Kohl's either.

Quote:
When high-end stores are brought into locations like this, it's not for the benefit of the locals. It's to help drive shopping tourism.

You think Guamanians can afford Louis Vuitton, Tiffany, Bulgari, or Gucci? But it sure has helped the economy.

Old 05-03-2018, 04:16 PM

16,414 posts, read 12,487,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californiaguy2007 View Post
They have Guamanians that can afford Louis Vuitton,Tiffany,Bulgari or Gucci,but these stores in Guam mostly cater to the tourists who will spend $$$$ on high end products...Guamanians mostly prefer shopping at Big Box Stores or The Mall just like everyone else on the U.S Mainland.

I'm surprised their is no Kohl's Store in Puerto Rico...What's even more shocking is The State of Hawaii doesn't have a Kohl's either.
Sure, there are some who can afford it, but the average Guamanian can’t. And even those who can would rather head over to PI and get some good knock offs.

Old 10-14-2018, 03:30 PM

With Sears now on the verge of bankruptcy, I think now is the time to revisit this subject. I think Kohl's would do well in Puerto Rico as a mid-range retailer as they compete in the same market segment as JCPenney, who has also been a historically strong player in PR.

However, another thing to wonder is who will fill Kmart's void. Target tends to cater towards a somewhat higher class shopper than Kmart (basically a notch above Kmart/Walmart); I am not sure if they can really cater well to locals in Puerto Rico as a general purpose discount store. Kohl's can do well in the department store field I think, but I am not sure if Target can do well in the discount store field.

Old 10-14-2018, 03:38 PM

1,459 posts, read 1,399,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
With Sears now on the verge of bankruptcy, I think now is the time to revisit this subject. I think Kohl's would do well in Puerto Rico as a mid-range retailer as they compete in the same market segment as JCPenney, who has also been a historically strong player in PR.

However, another thing to wonder is who will fill Kmart's void. Target tends to cater towards a somewhat higher class shopper than Kmart (basically a notch above Kmart/Walmart); I am not sure if they can really cater well to locals in Puerto Rico as a general purpose discount store. Kohl's can do well in the department store field I think, but I am not sure if Target can do well in the discount store field.
Sears Holdings (Kmart+Sears) has been in bankruptcy court before. Eddie Lampert knows nothing about how to run a business - except how to strip it. They'll close another 150 stores in a few months, leaving 300 of the more profitable stores (if that's possible).

How many people with money left the island for the mainland 1-2Mn? How many want to return? That's Kohl's base - not Kmart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories