Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 10:32 PM

548 posts, read 2,097,467 times

Advertisements

I've lived in 6 or 7 islands in the Caribbean but I regret never having stayed long in Puerto Rico. Now that I'm retired I can go there for a year or two and see how I like it.

I prefer small towns, rural living, artists, artisans & musicians, and friendly people. No interest at all in the beach or nightlife, but it would be nice to live in a normal community, make a few friends and even have a date on Saturday nights. I can get by ok in Spanish.

Where, what towns and areas to aim for? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2009, 07:04 PM

700 posts, read 2,596,015 times
Don't know if this helps...

I lived in PR for about a year in San Juan and Humacao. I dont know what your finances are like, but I worked out in Palmas del Mar (Humacao) which is a master planned community with restaurants, hotels, golf, marinas etc...but also nice residential areas. Not to far from there (if you do not want to live there) is small towns such as Candelero, Yabucoa (spelled wrong Im sure)...which would still be relatively close to Palmas and Humacao. I liked that area of the island, and was still able to get to San Juan in about an hour or so. That whole highway along the coast 53, goes through towns like Fajardo, Luqillo, Carolina..etc...many choices and a nice area of the island.

I heard Ponce was nice, but never made it (unfortunately) to that side of island.

Good Luck..

Old 11-15-2009, 09:20 PM

1,995 posts, read 3,376,742 times
Ponce has some nice aspects but is hardly a small town at app. 180,000.

Old 11-19-2009, 07:16 AM

1,384 posts, read 3,176,639 times
The friendliest people in PR live on the mountain. A lot of people in the cities (San Juan, Ponce) are stressed out and ready to pick a fight with whoever comes across. In the small towns of the mountain, people are more laid back, and a whole lot friendlier. Barranquitas is such a town. It is small, rural, cool throughout the year, and has an annual arts and crafts festival that draws people from around the island. Aibonito is very nice too.

If you're looking for a relaxing and friendly atmosphere, any of the towns within the outline will work. And major cities are just an hour away.

Old 10-21-2014, 01:51 PM

1 posts, read 20,277 times
Default looking foe appartment

how much is an average cost for an appartment in PR , let say 2 bethrooms 1 bath, in a rural comunity.

Old 10-23-2014, 05:58 AM

132 posts, read 237,358 times
I agree that mountain towns--particularly the smaller ones in the west are very friendly and excellent places to live. They also have the added benefit of.perfect climate meaning that you never have to run up electric bills with air conditioning or heat. Since they are relatively isolated from commercial centres, the rents are much cheaper. I think you could find a nice, clean, furnished place from $300 to $450 a month.
Scenery is beautiful in these towns, and each has an individual charm. First of all you need a car to get around and drive down to coastal areas for.supplies. Small towns have most facilties from restaurants to markets, but most people do shopping in larger towns down from the mountains. Your best bet would be to take a temporary monthly rental anywhere and then search for the location (and prices) you favour.
I always say that Puerto Rico us a hidden secret--the enchanted isle. It compares more favourably than most retirement places even on mainland. It certainly is a lot cheaper than any other Caribbean island and offers much much more. Unlike some more popular US locations like Hawaii, you will be welcome.

Old 10-27-2014, 11:14 PM

81 posts, read 301,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by la gigi View Post
how much is an average cost for an appartment in PR , let say 2 bethrooms 1 bath, in a rural comunity.
This depends on the area..Im in the western side of the island (Isabela) and most cities around here you can find them for $300 and up.

Old 06-30-2017, 07:10 PM

1 posts, read 9,147 times
Default living in Puerto Rico

I lived in Ceiba Puerto Rico for 5 months. I only left because I had to sell my home in Florida. I loved Puerto Rico, the people, the life and all connected to it. I Will be back.

Old 07-02-2017, 06:53 PM

11 posts, read 16,361 times
It's a really nice place from a rural perspective, but from a industrial place it's complete garbage Perhaps if I was you I'd go to aguadilla or a part of san juan depending on what you want with your stay. If your going economical perhaps bayamon, but considering you said you want the cultural part of Puerto rico, san juan is a safe bet.

Old 07-08-2017, 07:05 AM

2,481 posts, read 2,234,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trucker7 View Post
The friendliest people in PR live on the mountain. A lot of people in the cities (San Juan, Ponce) are stressed out and ready to pick a fight with whoever comes across. In the small towns of the mountain, people are more laid back, and a whole lot friendlier. Barranquitas is such a town. It is small, rural, cool throughout the year, and has an annual arts and crafts festival that draws people from around the island. Aibonito is very nice too.

If you're looking for a relaxing and friendly atmosphere, any of the towns within the outline will work. And major cities are just an hour away.
Hola, Trucker7...I agree with your assessment of Aibonito.I think it is the highest elevation in PR, not sure, but a local told me that 2 years ago when I was there..

I had taken my Jeep for warranty servicing in NJ where I bought it, and the service consultant was a beautiful young lady from Aibonito..we got to talking about PR because she saw my 'Rincon' sticker on my bumper.

Her family still lives there she gave me their address and told my wife and I to stop to see them..
funny, she told me 'they are getting old, and like to have company'
When we got there we thought we would find some doddering Viejos..but they were only 55 and 56!
I guess 'old age' is relative
the girl at the car dealership is only 23..
Anyway, what a great town, lovely plaza, clean and sooo cool high in the hills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories