U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2018, 06:53 AM

4,230 posts, read 4,192,931 times

Advertisements

I just wondered what the locals' general thoughts are regarding the reopening of the refinery? Are opinions strongly divided between those who welcome the hundreds of jobs versus those with environmental or other concerns?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2018, 04:14 PM

Wow, 124 views and not one comment? I would think someone would have thoughts regarding the reopening of the largest employer on the island.

Old 10-14-2018, 08:48 AM

400 posts, read 192,068 times
No one cares

Old 10-15-2018, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneDawg View Post
No one cares
Do you live on St Croix?

Old 10-18-2018, 05:14 AM

7,020 posts, read 5,613,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
I just wondered what the locals' general thoughts are regarding the reopening of the refinery? Are opinions strongly divided between those who welcome the hundreds of jobs versus those with environmental or other concerns?
Caribbean people are practical. They want the jobs and understand that there must be a sustainable way of having a refinery.

Old 10-18-2018, 05:15 AM

7,020 posts, read 5,613,108 times
Quote:
Do you live on St Croix?
Not many VI people post here so I guess the answer will be not too many posters care.

Old 10-29-2018, 12:48 PM

5,171 posts, read 3,326,161 times
I'm not from St. Croix (never even been there), and I'd bet most posters fall into my category. So perhaps a little background might be helpful. Is this the Hovensa refinery you're talking about? If so (or even if it isn't), I'd be curious to know what caused the old one to close, and why is a new one opening. Is there a danger that the same factors that led to the previous closure could doom the new one as well?

Old 10-29-2018, 05:14 PM

400 posts, read 192,068 times
Quote:
Do you live on St Croix?
No I lived in Red Hook marina on St Thomas for 5 yrs. I've only returned for the billfishing, since Venezuela is shutdown.

Old 01-15-2019, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
I'm not from St. Croix (never even been there), and I'd bet most posters fall into my category. So perhaps a little background might be helpful. Is this the Hovensa refinery you're talking about? If so (or even if it isn't), I'd be curious to know what caused the old one to close, and why is a new one opening. Is there a danger that the same factors that led to the previous closure could doom the new one as well?
I'm very late in responding to your questions (we have been in limbo about moving to St Croix for several months. Now it is official).

Yes, it is the (former) Hovensa refinery (now called Limetree Bay). My understanding is that a big factor in the closing back in 2012 had to do with a contract with Venezuela for crude oil. When crude prices worldwide dropped substantially, but Hovensa was locked into a long-term contract at a higher crude price, the refinery lost so much money that they had to close.

Several years of not operating, plus a couple big hurricanes, left the refinery in a mess. But ArcLite Capital purchased it last July, BP has joined the project, and it is now being brought back to life and set to be up and running by the end of this year.

We are moving there next week for my husband to work on the project. I am hoping the locals are excited at all the jobs being created and tax revenues that will pour into the economy.

Old 01-19-2019, 11:16 AM

7,034 posts, read 2,174,829 times
Honestly, the VI continues to recover from Hurricane Irma and Maria and we are currently in transition, as we have a new Governor. We hope it does well for the territory. It just hasnít been the biggest topic since election just passed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories