U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2019, 02:23 PM

1,137 posts, read 2,971,665 times

Advertisements

Just to follow up, I successfully got my two cars and a pickup to Puerto Rico. It went very smoothly except for the on-land portion (Houston to Jacksonville) truck breaking down but not calling me to tell me what's going on. It made the ship anyway. Rubin, of ShipYourCarNow.com, found a new driver and truck for the same price who picked it up the next morning and made the ship on time. TrailerBridge shipping company handle the 6 day sea transport. Very easy to pick up the cars in late morning the same day it arrived. TB was a bit cheaper than the others.

I got a dozen quotes or so from brokers (direct inland shippers all had long delays in availability). SYCN was just above my very cheapest quote but Rubin was very responsive and TrailerBridge had referred me to them as a legit broker/company that had few complaints so I thankfully went with them. My higher bids were over TWICE as much as SYCN so get lots of quotes so you don't get ripped off by your one or two being high. TrailerBridge was cheapest shipper for the sea portion but there wasn't nearly the range - normal car from $1088 (TB) to about $1200 max. I almost went with a different one that originally quoted me cheaper but then did a bait and switch when I went to sign the contract - "oo your pickup is longer than we though when we made up the bid - you have to pay $1500 more" ! TB was only $2300 for an extended bed (8'bed).

Be aware of tariffs - the almost new truck was almost $4000 but my old - but runs great, cold air, luxurious seats - 2001 Toyota Avalon - was only $500. I have no doubt I'd get twice as much as my shipping investment here but its the perfect PR everyday car - plenty of small dents already, roomy but relatively narrow for mountain roads, yet good AC and acceleration for warm weather and mountain driving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2019, 07:22 PM

4,216 posts, read 4,177,154 times
Bamba_boy, glad it went relatively well for you! Our cars gets picked up in Utah next week, to arrive in St Croix in 3-4 weeks (well, one is going to St Croix and one is going to Nashville.) Thankfully my husband's new company is paying for the shipping, but I'm guessing they won't pay the tariff. Hope it's not too awfully high. We are keeping the nicer vehicle in the states and shipping the old Toyota to the island.

Old Today, 06:34 PM

1,137 posts, read 2,971,665 times
Hope your old Toyota enjoys the tropics as much as my beloved 17 year old Avalon is feeling frisky again in the lush green hills of eastern PR!

A couple of unexpected pleasures in moving the cars:
1) Hacienda opened an "office" (really a double-wide) across the street from TrailerBridges docks right adjacent the holding lot you pick up your car from. You no longer have to go to Hato Rey, 4 or 5 crowded urban miles across town, main Hacienda office to pay your tariffs.

2) Hacienda has an internet application called "Suri" (not to be confused with "Siri" the Apple genie) where you can answer a bunch of questions online , scan and send a few documents, and get a certificate to print off where you can just show up at the docks and drive off with your car. Only problem was it liked my one credit card but not my original card. No particular reason. Never figured it out - they both had money on them to pay the full bill! Just one those ghosts in the machine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or