U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-22-2019, 03:53 PM
 
10,143 posts, read 3,422,836 times
Reputation: 4820

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapshoot View Post
lost of doubtful statistics here.
first

PPP (Purchase power parity in PR in 2018 was 35044$
ppp in DR was 15700$
or about 100% not 285% as you claim.

two: prices in DR are impacted by the incredibly high taxes on everything, just as an example, sale tax in DR is 16% !!!! and import tax is 12%
Gasoline is more expensive in DR because there is an special tax to pay for the national debt.

Everything else is just cheaper in DR, no one that have ever visited both countries will claim PR to be cheaper, even with the ridiculous taxation in DR.

Puerto Rico is just way more expensive than DR in a dollar by dollar basis.
you can't have it both ways. Of course taxes and sales tax and regulations in the Dominican Republic and every country in the world has an impact on the cost of living just like Puerto Rico. The Puerto Rican government has a huge debt, of course they will find everywhere how to get revenues. Blaming it on the Jones Act is lazy and irresponsible and it doesn't explain the cost of living in Puerto Rico compared to the other islands in the Caribbean and other islands in the world.



Of course, P.R. is way more expensive than D.R. overall because $1 U.S. dollar = 50.62 Dominican Pesos.....the average wage in Puerto Rico is $2,095 a month and in D.R. is $365 a month. That means D.R. has cheaper labor than P.R. so whatever they produce in their island will be cheaper than P.R. but it doesn't change the cost of the imports that go in the islands. The Dominican Republic is more expensive than Puerto Rico on the imports from cars, gasoline, name brand clothes made in Asia and the rest of the household goods made in Asia.......you can blame that on their taxes and regulations but you have to do the same thing for P.R.



the domestic food and services are cheaper in D.R. because of their min. wage in D.R. is 40 cents an hour and they don't have the U.S. Federal regulations like P.R. has and the Social Security and Medicare taxes that also as an effect in every business in P.R.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-22-2019, 05:26 PM
 
10,143 posts, read 3,422,836 times
Reputation: 4820
Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
Indeed either a) it destroys trade with the us while having no discernible positive impacts or b) it destroys trade with the us while also raising prices and failing to achieve anything positive. Either way there is no logical argument in support of the Jones act. The debate about its role in hurting pr is a distraction from that fact. Sure the Jones act didnt make the island governme t corrupt and incompetent but that's hardly a reason to keep it.
every country protects its domestic routes.....Americans control all of their domestic routes. The question is why Puerto Rico hasn't taken advantage of it? Puerto Ricans can't get boats and all Puerto Rican crews to take advantage of all the American domestic routes, not just Puerto Rico ports?

If you tell me ONLY U.S. Citizens (which all Puerto Ricans are) can only use all the domestic routes from any port from the U.S. to Puerto Rico and vice versa, how is this a "disadvantage"?


I never heard anybody say outsourcing American jobs to 3rd world countries is good for the economy and jobs in the long run.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-23-2019, 11:14 PM
 
10,143 posts, read 3,422,836 times
Reputation: 4820
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapshoot View Post
lost of doubtful statistics here.
first

PPP (Purchase power parity in PR in 2018 was 35044$
ppp in DR was 15700$
or about 100% not 285% as you claim.
.



Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site



The local purchasing power in San Juan, Puerto Rico is 284.40% higher than Santo Domingo, D.R. (I misquoted it by 0.6%)



Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site




that kills the whole myth of the Jones Act......if the Jones Act makes things so expensive in Puerto Rico to buy and own why Puerto Rico Purchasing Power is higher than all Latin Republic countries who don't have the Jones Act?


Puerto Rico is 284.40% higher than D.R.....240% higher than Colombia......175% higher than Peru.....141% higher than Panama.....93% higher than Argentina.....98% higher than Chile.....2,350% higher than Cuba..... 2,955% higher than Venezuela.....63% higher than Brazil.......125% higher than Costa Rica.....99% higher than Mexico......140% higher than Guatemala......175% higher than Bolivia......131% higher than Ecuador..........even Spain which is under the European Union, Puerto Rico is 38% higher.


just to make sure we are speaking the same language, Purchasing power is the amount of goods and services that can be purchased with a unit of currency..........if the Jones Act is hurting Puerto Rico it sure doesn't show in the stats in the amount of goods and services they purchased compared to other Latin countries that don't have the Jones Act.


by the way, Hawaii with all the obstacles of being further away in miles from the mainland because they are in the middle of nowhere in the Pacific which cost more for transportation (gas) and they have less consumers than P.R. by double) Hawaii Purchasing Power is higher than Puerto Rico by 5%.

So much for the Jones Act Myth.

Last edited by Yac; Today at 01:48 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2019, 03:57 PM
 
115 posts, read 14,934 times
Reputation: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion1999 View Post
Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site


The local purchasing power in San Juan, Puerto Rico is 284.40% higher than Santo Domingo, D.R. (I misquoted it by 0.6%)



Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site








that kills the whole myth of the Jones Act......if the Jones Act makes things so expensive in Puerto Rico to buy and own why Puerto Rico Purchasing Power is higher than all Latin Republic countries who don't have the Jones Act?


Puerto Rico is 284.40% higher than D.R.....240% higher than Colombia......175% higher than Peru.....141% higher than Panama.....93% higher than Argentina.....98% higher than Chile.....2,350% higher than Cuba..... 2,955% higher than Venezuela.....63% higher than Brazil.......125% higher than Costa Rica.....99% higher than Mexico......140% higher than Guatemala......175% higher than Bolivia......131% higher than Ecuador..........even Spain which is under the European Union, Puerto Rico is 38% higher.


just to make sure we are speaking the same language, Purchasing power is the amount of goods and services that can be purchased with a unit of currency..........if the Jones Act is hurting Puerto Rico it sure doesn't show in the stats in the amount of goods and services they purchased compared to other Latin countries that don't have the Jones Act.


by the way, Hawaii with all the obstacles of being further away in miles from the mainland because they are in the middle of nowhere in the Pacific which cost more for transportation (gas) and they have less consumers than P.R. by double) Hawaii Purchasing Power is higher than Puerto Rico by 5%.

So much for the Jones Act Myth.

the World Bank and FMI would like to defer
Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site
get better sources next time.

https://data.worldbank.org/indicator....CD?view=chart
https://www.imf.org/external/datamapper/PPPPC@WEO/THA

the GDP PPP of PR is 40,960
the GDP PPP of DR is 19,450

PR PPP is about 100% more not 284% more.

the exchange rate of the US dollar against the DOP is irrelevant to this calculation. As you can see DOP has a low exchange rate againt the US dollar but it goes a long way in purchasing power.

Last edited by Yac; Today at 01:48 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2019, 05:38 PM
 
10,143 posts, read 3,422,836 times
Reputation: 4820
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapshoot View Post
the World Bank and FMI would like to defer
no ones knows what nunbeo is and that has the credibility of a voodoo doctor.
get better sources next time.

https://data.worldbank.org/indicator....CD?view=chart
https://www.imf.org/external/datamapper/PPPPC@WEO/THA

the GDP PPP of PR is 40,960
the GDP PPP of DR is 19,450

PR PPP is about 100% more not 284% more.

the exchange rate of the US dollar against the DOP is irrelevant to this calculation. As you can see DOP has a low exchange rate against the US dollar but it goes a long way in purchasing power.





please stop, don't act like a fool here. You are throwing GDP per capita numbers pretending that you know what you are talking about and that's not how you measure Purchasing Power.



I guess you rather get paid in Dominican Pesos than U.S. Dollars.



Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site





the Currency rate of a country and inflation has a lot to do with consumer prices of goods and services of a country. Ask Venezuela which has an inflation rate of 2,688,670% and why their Bolivar isn't worth $hiat to even buy toilet paper if the value of their currency has nothing to do with it.


Purchasing Power is the value of a currency expressed in terms of the number of goods or services that one unit of money can buy. Purchasing Power is important because, all else being equal, inflation decreases the number of goods or services you would be able to purchase.


the topic is the Jones Act.....if the Jones Act hurts Puerto Rico like some falsely claim, then why Puerto Rico has a higher Purchasing Power than all Latin Countries and Spain? No Latin Country comes close to Puerto Rico in Purchasing Power.

Last edited by Yac; Today at 01:47 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2019, 08:23 PM
 
115 posts, read 14,934 times
Reputation: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion1999 View Post
please stop, don't act like a fool here. You are throwing GDP per capita numbers pretending that you know what you are talking about and that's not how you measure Purchasing Power.



I guess you rather get paid in Dominican Pesos than U.S. Dollars.



Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site





the Currency rate of a country and inflation has a lot to do with consumer prices of goods and services of a country. Ask Venezuela which has an inflation rate of 2,688,670% and why their Bolivar isn't worth $hiat to even buy toilet paper if the value of their currency has nothing to do with it.


Purchasing Power is the value of a currency expressed in terms of the number of goods or services that one unit of money can buy. Purchasing Power is important because, all else being equal, inflation decreases the number of goods or services you would be able to purchase.


the topic is the Jones Act.....if the Jones Act hurts Puerto Rico like some falsely claim, then why Puerto Rico has a higher Purchasing Power than all Latin Countries and Spain? No Latin Country comes close to Puerto Rico in Purchasing Power.
dude are you retarded? GDP PPP is Purchase power party thats what PPP stands for.
actually puerto rico is a pretty ****ty country to live, high crime rate, lots of poverty, mass emigration, hight cost of living, corruption, it is the country that is losing population faster that any other country in the continent.

you need to learn how to read statistics, nothing is more reliable than the World Bank and the IMF.

nubeo? what ****ing joke!

you should not be worring about cabotage laws, PR is a dying country, a country that is not longer sustainable.
everything became very evident after the storms. the poverty, the lack of future.

even if PR has a average PPP pd 40k a year the reality is that Puerto Rico has median household income of $20,078.
HOUSEHOLD INCOME!! that makes PR the poorest part of the US. poorer than the Mississippi delta.
you need to understand the difference between median and average to understand how sad and poor PR really is.

Last edited by Yac; Today at 01:47 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2019, 09:36 PM
 
10,143 posts, read 3,422,836 times
Reputation: 4820
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapshoot View Post
dude are you retarded? GDP PPP is Purchase power party thats what PPP stands for.
actually puerto rico is a pretty ****ty country to live, high crime rate, lots of poverty, mass emigration, hight cost of living, corruption, it is the country that is losing population faster that any other country in the continent.

you need to learn how to read statistics, nothing is more reliable than the World Bank and the IMF.

nubeo? what ****ing joke!

you should not be worring about cabotage laws, PR is a dying country, a country that is not longer sustainable.
everything became very evident after the storms. the poverty, the lack of future.

even if PR has a average PPP pd 40k a year the reality is that Puerto Rico has median household income of $20,078.
HOUSEHOLD INCOME!! that makes PR the poorest part of the US.

you need to understand the difference between median and average to understand how sad and poor PR really is.

1) There are 2 methods of measuring GDP- Nominal & PPP , you used PPP. You threw it out there like you were trying to look smart in a topic that you are clueless about.



2) Yes, we got your message, Numeo is a joke and you are smart. Maybe institutions should come to you for your stats and wisdom.



3) Puerto Rico is not a state. Since when territories were made to have a better economy than a state? If Puerto Rico is the poorest part of the U.S. what does that make the rest of the Latin Republics in comparison? Puerto Rico median household income of $20,078 is higher than any Latin Republic.



4) I don't give a damn of your opinions of Puerto Rico. Now you went from Jones Act to poverty, high crime rate, corruption and your ignorant negative opinions of Puerto Rico. Yes, we get it, in your bias point of view Puerto Rico is doomed and it's over. Ignoring the 500 years of Puerto Rico like you just learned about Puerto Rico just now and to make them look hopeless you compare P.R. to the U.S.A.....70% of the world looks doomed and hopeless if you compared them to the USA in median household income.



5) Puerto Rico is in better shape than any Latin Republic. The reason there is a mass emigration to the states it's because they are U.S. Citizens and can come and go easily to the 50 States for better job opportunities, better pay, and better government services. You don't see Puerto Ricans moving in masses to Latin Republics, do you?




6) You don't think if Latin Countries had U.S. CITIZENSHIP 70% or more of their people would come to the U.S.A. in massive waves for better economic opportunities and better government services? duh!!!....... Not just the Latin Countries, 70% of the world would emigrate in masses to the U.S.A.





7), this is how stupid your argument is....if Puerto Rico didn't have U.S. Citizenship they would stay on the island. They are not going to migrate to R.D., Haiti, Cuba, Venezuela,Colombia, Mexico or Guatemala are they? Even mass emigration happened within the states in the history of the USA and the industrial revolution, what's your point?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2019, 09:53 PM
 
115 posts, read 14,934 times
Reputation: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion1999 View Post
1) There are 2 methods of measuring GDP- Nominal & PPP , you used PPP. You threw it out there like you were trying to look smart in a topic that you are clueless about.



2) Yes, we got your message, Numeo is a joke and you are smart. Maybe institutions should come to you for your stats and wisdom.



3) Puerto Rico is not a state. Since when territories were made to have a better economy than a state? If Puerto Rico is the poorest part of the U.S. what does that make the rest of the Latin Republics in comparison? Puerto Rico median household income of $20,078 is higher than any Latin Republic.



4) I don't give a damn of your opinions of Puerto Rico. Now you went from Jones Act to poverty, high crime rate, corruption and your ignorant negative opinions of Puerto Rico. Yes, we get it, in your bias point of view Puerto Rico is doomed and it's over. Ignoring the 500 years of Puerto Rico like you just learned about Puerto Rico just now and to make them look hopeless you compare P.R. to the U.S.A.....70% of the world looks doomed and hopeless if you compared them to the USA in median household income.



5) Puerto Rico is in better shape than any Latin Republic. The reason there is a mass emigration to the states it's because they are U.S. Citizens and can come and go easily to the 50 States for better job opportunities, better pay, and better government services. You don't see Puerto Ricans moving in masses to Latin Republics, do you?




6) You don't think if Latin Countries had U.S. CITIZENSHIP 70% or more of their people would come to the U.S.A. in massive waves for better economic opportunities and better government services? duh!!!....... Not just the Latin Countries, 70% of the world would emigrate in masses to the U.S.A.





7), this is how stupid your argument is....if Puerto Rico didn't have U.S. Citizenship they would stay on the island. They are not going to migrate to R.D., Haiti, Cuba, Venezuela,Colombia, Mexico or Guatemala are they? Even mass emigration happened within the states in the history of the USA and the industrial revolution, what's your point?
If puerto rico did not have USA citizenship would be as poor as Bolivia, most of the PR income is direct federal money transfers in the form of social security benefits, public jobs, federal infrastructure jobs ect. turism is dead, as is the farmaceutical industry. PR in maybe the least productive land in the continent. thats why everybody is leaving, no future.


Are you aware that hundreds of millions of people in the world do not need visa to the US? and i dont see that mass migration, actually migration to the US is in a historical low, despite the current economic boom. THe US has lost its charm, sure some poor people would try to go, but thats not what it used to be.

the reason Puerto ricans are leaving is that PR is unlivable, crime ridden, no jobs, no services. The population of PR is expected to fall below 2 million by 2030, by then the nation of Puerto rico will be gone, and the Americans will repopulate the island with caucasians.

Last edited by Snapshoot; 02-24-2019 at 10:09 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-25-2019, 12:06 AM
 
10,143 posts, read 3,422,836 times
Reputation: 4820
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapshoot View Post
If puerto rico did not have USA citizenship would be as poor as Bolivia, most of the PR income is direct federal money transfers in the form of social security benefits, public jobs, federal infrastructure jobs ect. turism is dead, as is the farmaceutical industry. PR in maybe the least productive land in the continent. thats why everybody is leaving, no future.


Are you aware that hundreds of millions of people in the world do not need visa to the US? and i dont see that mass migration, actually migration to the US is in a historical low, despite the current economic boom. THe US has lost its charm, sure some poor people would try to go, but thats not what it used to be.

the reason Puerto ricans are leaving is that PR is unlivable, crime ridden, no jobs, no services.
1) If Puerto Rico wasn't a U.S. Territory and the U.S. didn't invade in 1898, they would be a Republic or a province of Spain. I don't play Monday quarterback with history. If California, Texas and the rest of the West Coast still belong to Mexico, those states would be as poor as Mexico. If Hawaii was still a monarchy tribe Hawaii would be as poor as the rest of the Pacific Islands. If Russia didn't sell Alaska to the U.S.A, Alaska would be a dump of ice and snow under a very corrupt government. If the Soviet Union won the Cold War the world would be $hiat.....yeah, yeah, yeah......the fact and reality are Puerto Rico is a U.S. Territory under the jurisdiction of the U.S. for over a century.

2) The reason mass poor immigrants in the world can't come is we still secure the airports and the ports unlike our borders. Trust me, if they had U.S. Citizenship we would see massive emigration.

3) What is your source that immigration in the U.S.A is historical low? we accept 1 million legal immigrants a year plus millions more on the waiting list and that's not including the illegals. No other country in the world takes that amount. So I guess if we suck, they are still coming.

4) Puerto Ricans are leaving because the 50 states offer a better economic opportunity and better schools and they are U.S. Citizens and all they have to do is get on a plane. No passport, no visa, no green card, no 6 months to 1-year wait if they approve your request and no permission to work. Just get on a plane.......if the rest of the Latin Republics had that right and benefits they would do the same thing in higher numbers. This isn't rocket science.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-25-2019, 09:15 AM
 
Location: Philly
9,863 posts, read 13,797,673 times
Reputation: 2698
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion1999 View Post
every country protects its domestic routes.....Americans control all of their domestic routes. The question is why Puerto Rico hasn't taken advantage of it? Puerto Ricans can't get boats and all Puerto Rican crews to take advantage of all the American domestic routes, not just Puerto Rico ports?

If you tell me ONLY U.S. Citizens (which all Puerto Ricans are) can only use all the domestic routes from any port from the U.S. to Puerto Rico and vice versa, how is this a "disadvantage"?


I never heard anybody say outsourcing American jobs to 3rd world countries is good for the economy and jobs in the long run.
and yet the jones act has the result of increasing outsourcing. there's nothing to take advantage of, the mainland gets around it by shipping less by boat and more by truck and rail. no doubt there are losers on the mainland as well.

https://www.cato.org/blog/new-report...st-puerto-rico

Quote:
Earlier this decade three Jones Act carriers pled guilty to price collusion in the Puerto Rico trade, with $46.2 million in fines handed out and six executives sent to prison. Since this episode one of the guilty carriers announced its withdrawal from the market, further reducing competition.
complete insanity
Quote:
Puerto Rico’s government has applied for a ten-year waiver from the Jones Act because the law prevents the U.S. territory from importing U.S. LNG due a lack of Jones Act eligible ships capable of transporting it. As a result, Puerto Rico largely meets its LNG needs via more expensive imports from Trinidad and Tobago.
unrelated, I don't think tourism is dead. prior to maria it was growing and I suspect it is getting back there now.

Last edited by pman; 02-25-2019 at 09:37 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top