U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old Yesterday, 08:05 AM
 
Location: Philly
9,863 posts, read 13,795,919 times
Reputation: 2698

Advertisements

Quote:
the truth is, for the average person, living in Puerto Rico is about as safe as living in many metropolitan areas in the U.S., and safer in many of the commonwealth’s resort and beach communities where expats tend to live.

In fact, San Juan made U.S. News & World Report’s list of top 100 places to retire, beating out cities such as Salt Lake City, UT, Modesto, CA, Albuquerque, NM, and Providence, Rhode Island-based on factors such as crime rate, quality of life, cost of living, and desirability.
https://relocatepuertorico.com/how-s...co-for-expats/

Quote:
The 10 countries with the highest homicide rates in the world are in Latin America and the Caribbean, where Honduras’ 85.7 homicides per 100,000 inhabitants leads, followed by El Salvador (63.2), Venezuela (51.7), Colombia (48.8), Belize (37.2), Guatemala (36.2), Jamaica (35.2), Trinidad and Tobago (32.8), Brazil (30.5) and Dominican Republic (30.2)
https://dominicantoday.com/dr/local/...icide-leaders/

Last edited by pman; Yesterday at 08:21 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old Yesterday, 08:28 AM
 
115 posts, read 14,934 times
Reputation: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
overly negative IMO. crime is one of those things that improves incrementally. setting aside the jones act, the primary problem in PR is the political class. it's inability to spending wisely and pass structural reform hold the island back. there is little investment because the island has high taxes and high regulations while at the same time offers few services. the competitive advantage is being in the carribean but also being part of the US if you offer the same sort of stability you can usually expect stateside. I have friends with personal experience in the DR medical system and so long as PR offers better healthcare than the DR, it will attract more people looking to live there even if it is retirees. tourism has recovered from maria which leaves the island at a critical juncture, address the issues controlled by the island government (really, you can't book a ferry to vieques in advance online?). excessive sprawl, corruption, bureaucracy, inefficiency while also pushing to change things not controlled, like the jones act. there are a lot of things that can help boost the island's economic output which is required to drive down the debt as a % of GDP.
FWIW, cancun also struggles with crime and corruption. historically so has punta cana as people were warned not to go off resort though that has moderated in recent years.

https://realestate.usnews.com/places...san-juan/crime
This is the thing, being part of the US in itself is not an advantage anymore, it is even bad for a place like PR.
Other countries like DR, Mexico, Nicaragua, ect have tax free access to the US market, for them is like being part of the US without being.
they can manipulate the local currency to become more competitive.
they have lower tax
they have cheaper labor
some have lower crime
they dont have the Jones act.

PR will have to compete with this countries in a disadvantageous way. Globalization has really messed up PR as industries that otherwise would settle in PR now prefer to settle in MX or DR as they have access to the US market with more flexible local conditions than in PR.
if PR really want to escape the current circle it has to find its comparative advantage over the competition.

I m not trying to be negative, i am being realistic, lots of Puerto ricans have the attitude of "at least we are in better shape than _____" .
which is the attitude of denial, always trying to find someone who is worst of to compare as to relief the stress of being so messed up.

Having the US dollar as currency can give the wrong idea of how bad the economy of PR really is especially when compared with other countries that do not use the US dollars and making straight up currency exchange to measure economic well being.

Last edited by Snapshoot; Yesterday at 08:43 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 08:34 AM
 
115 posts, read 14,934 times
Reputation: 66

the map is based on 2017 data in 2018 its even lower.
The current homicide rate for DR is 10.4 not 30.


right from the horses mouth

http://www.oscrd.gob.do/images/Informes/OSC-IE-029.pdf
Attached Thumbnails
Cabotage Laws-21-01-19_homicide-rates-latin-america  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 09:03 AM
 
Location: Philly
9,863 posts, read 13,795,919 times
Reputation: 2698
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapshoot View Post
the map is based on 2017 data in 2018 its even lower.
The current homicide rate for DR is 10.4 not 30.


right from the horses mouth

http://www.oscrd.gob.do/images/Informes/OSC-IE-029.pdf
which really just emphasizes my point, crime rates change. for the time being, people don't view DR as a low crime destination though that will change slowly...there's really no reason why PR can't do the same (to some extent it already has but there's still much progress to be made.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 09:13 AM
 
Location: Philly
9,863 posts, read 13,795,919 times
Reputation: 2698
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapshoot View Post
This is the thing, being part of the US in itself is not an advantage anymore, it is even bad for a place like PR.
Other countries like DR, Mexico, Nicaragua, ect have tax free access to the US market, for them is like being part of the US without being.
they can manipulate the local currency to become more competitive.
they have lower tax
they have cheaper labor
some have lower crime
they dont have the Jones act.
manipulating currencies is just stealing wealth from those who depend on wages, cheaper labor also means lower wages. Nicaragua and mexico are still nicaragua and mexico. it is much easier to move and invest in PR than it is in those other places because it is part of the US. taxes and regulations are controlled by the local government. the jones act absolutely hurts domestic production. PR is hurt more than most states since it is a island but really all ports are hurt by the jones act as transportation shifts in favor of imports over trade within the US itself.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapshoot View Post
I m not trying to be negative, i am being realistic
everyone thinks they are being realistic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapshoot View Post
lots of Puerto ricans have the attitude of "at least we are in better shape than _____" .
which is the attitude of denial, always trying to find someone who is worst of to compare as to relief the stress of being so messed up.
no disagreement there, there is need for change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapshoot View Post
Having the US dollar as currency can give the wrong idea of how bad the economy of PR really is especially when compared with other countries that do not use the US dollars and making straight up currency exchange to measure economic well being.
indeed, the US is full of micro economies where the dollar does not reflect the condition of the local economy. the dollar reflects its reserve status (much to the detriment of many) as well as the relative safety of investing in the US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 09:19 AM
 
115 posts, read 14,934 times
Reputation: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
manipulating currencies is just stealing wealth from those who depend on wages, cheaper labor also means lower wages. Nicaragua and mexico are still nicaragua and mexico. it is much easier to move and invest in PR than it is in those other places because it is part of the US. taxes and regulations are controlled by the local government. the jones act absolutely hurts domestic production. PR is hurt more than most states since it is a island but really all ports are hurt by the jones act as transportation shifts in favor of imports over trade within the US itself.



everyone thinks they are being realistic


no disagreement there, there is need for change.


indeed, the US is full of micro economies where the dollar does not reflect the condition of the local economy. the dollar reflects its reserve status (much to the detriment of many) as well as the relative safety of investing in the US.
not neceserally, look at china, keeps manipulating its currency to be able to export cheaper, more exports means more income, more income more well being. thats why 200 million people has moved to the middle class in china.

Thats why PPP is so important, if you devaluate the currency, sure it will be more expensive to by imported products, but local products will be cheaper and there will be more income in general if you have an export based economy.

currently the US is experiencing an strong dollar issue, unable to compete in the market, as US products are too expensive, that means less exports jobs.
the US is looking for ways to devaluate its currency to stimulate growth.

rich countries like Norway have weak currencies, the NO Kroner is 7 per dollar.

agree that currency manipulation is a dangerous thing, it makes people be too "poor" to travel for example as buying strong currency would be too expensive. OR buying imports like a iphone would means saving the whole salary for 6 months.

but as an emergency method to stimulate growth is a well sounded technique.

actually because Nicaragua and MX are STILL Nicaragua AND mx IS THE reason they are preferred
low wages
not lots of unions
lax environmental laws
no taxes (specially for sweatshops)
no taxes to import to the US

And even that has come to the benefits of the Mexicans for example, since the signing of the NAFTA income in mexico has increased 5 fold.
DR GDP has doubled since the signing the DR-CAFTA

Last edited by Snapshoot; Yesterday at 09:36 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 09:23 AM
 
10,142 posts, read 3,416,126 times
Reputation: 4817
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapshoot View Post
I m not trying to be negative, i am being realistic, lots of Puerto ricans have the attitude of "at least we are in better shape than _____" .
which is the attitude of denial, always trying to find someone who is worst of to compare as to relief the stress of being so messed up.


you are not being negative? (LMAO) but you praise countries like Mexico, Nicaragua and D.R. while you dump on Puerto Rico. Those countries have more social, corruption and economic problems than Puerto Rico.


I'm not in denial, I was born and raised in Puerto Rico. Everybody that have read my posts here knows I don't sugarcoat Puerto Rico's problems which are mostly political and corruption which are not on the same level as Mexico, Nicaragua and D.R. and the other Latin Country $hitholes because Puerto Rico is under the jurisdiction of the U.S. Federal Government. Puerto Rico has the FBI and the federal laws to keep the corruption at a lower level than the Latin Countries you are praising here and it's safer to invest and own property and do business in Puerto Rico than the countries you mention because it's protected by the federal government.



When you say there is no foreign investments in Puerto Rico and the majority are on welfare and everything is a doom scenario while you praise Mexico, D.R.,Nicaragua and Brazil it says everything about your bias against Puerto Rico and the lack of putting things under perspective in your argument that is supposed to be about the Jones Act and you went off in a negative rant about everything about Puerto Rico.....listening to you, Puerto Rico is DOOMED!! NO hope! Brazil has a better quality of life than Puerto Rico by 100%, right?





like we say in Puerto Rico: "Te tengo leido desde hace tiempo Mano"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 09:37 AM
 
Location: Philly
9,863 posts, read 13,795,919 times
Reputation: 2698
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapshoot View Post
not neceserally, look at china, keeps manipulating its currency to be able to export cheaper, more exports means more income, more income more well being. thats why 200 million people has moved to the middle class in china.
200 million people have moved to the middle class in china because they have increasingly embraced capitalism, not because they are manipulating their currency. as the chinese make more, the pressure on everyone else will lessen.
venezuela also manipulates their currency, just saying.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapshoot View Post
Thats why PPP is so important, if you devaluate the currency, sure it will be more expensive to by imported products, but local products will be cheaper and there will be more income in general if you have an export based economy.
currently the US is experiencing an strong dollar issue, unable to compete in the market, as US products are too expensive, that means less exports jobs.
the US is looking for ways to devaluate its currency to stimulate growth.
devaluation is a crutch for most government and makes people poorer (most notably those who live on wages as opposed to asset wealth).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapshoot View Post
but as an emergency method to stimulate growth is a well sounded technique.
PR needs structural reform.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 09:56 AM
 
115 posts, read 14,934 times
Reputation: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion1999 View Post
you are not being negative? (LMAO) but you praise countries like Mexico, Nicaragua and D.R. while you dump on Puerto Rico. Those countries have more social, corruption and economic problems than Puerto Rico.


I'm not in denial, I was born and raised in Puerto Rico. Everybody that have read my posts here knows I don't sugarcoat Puerto Rico's problems which are mostly political and corruption which are not on the same level as Mexico, Nicaragua and D.R. and the other Latin Country $hitholes because Puerto Rico is under the jurisdiction of the U.S. Federal Government. Puerto Rico has the FBI and the federal laws to keep the corruption at a lower level than the Latin Countries you are praising here and it's safer to invest and own property and do business in Puerto Rico than the countries you mention because it's protected by the federal government.



When you say there is no foreign investments in Puerto Rico and the majority are on welfare and everything is a doom scenario while you praise Mexico, D.R.,Nicaragua and Brazil it says everything about your bias against Puerto Rico and the lack of putting things under perspective in your argument that is supposed to be about the Jones Act and you went off in a negative rant about everything about Puerto Rico.....listening to you, Puerto Rico is DOOMED!! NO hope! Brazil has a better quality of life than Puerto Rico by 100%, right?





like we say in Puerto Rico: "Te tengo leido desde hace tiempo Mano"

the whole thing is linked together, if PR wants to be able to get out of the hole it has to look what the others are doing because those are the countries PR will have to compete with.

Getting rid of the Jones act would enable PR to be more competitive.
everybody is hunting for investment. And PR has a horrible climate for it.
and that goes beyond political reform. even if the whole island could wipe out all corruption today, that would not be enough as PR does not have high quality human resources or any other advantage that would motivate an investor to go there. in the Eyes of an investor PR is not better than MX or CR
and its more expensive. being part of the US means nothing.

PR is a safe place because of the FBI? are you insane? PR murder rate is almost even with Guatemala, what has the FBI done about that?

Or do you think Apple cared about not being in the US when it moved its production to China?
or Pentium to Costa rica, thats the problem, is not only about structural reform, is a nasty environment
even highly educated states la Massachusetts are struggling to keep their companies in as they can get better human resources in India for half the cost.

an investor would look for if PR has:

High quality human resources (does PR has the technicians i need?)
low tax
low shipping cost (enter Jones act)
logistics (enter Jones act)
access to raw materials (is everything they need locally or has to be imported)
cost of those raw materials (will they have to import raw materials to PR or are they locally available?)
low crime and corruption (will people be motivated to move here to work? what about families?)
lax environmental law (will federal law apply? will that cost me money?)
lax labor laws (will federal law apply? will that cost me money?)
low labor cost (will that be more then lets say MX?)
local incentives (any tax breaks?)

as you can see, a country like MX is way more attractive.

Last edited by Snapshoot; Yesterday at 11:09 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 11:40 AM
 
Location: Philly
9,863 posts, read 13,795,919 times
Reputation: 2698
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapshoot View Post
Getting rid of the Jones act would enable PR to be more competitive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top