U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-26-2019, 03:15 PM
 
10,818 posts, read 3,583,787 times
Reputation: 5069

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapshoot View Post
Do you have reading comprehension issues? thats the US poverty line, there is no such thing as a Latam poverty line. PR is not that far from those Latin ****holes that you talk about, actually millions prefer those ****holes for investment/living, not even puerto ricans want to be in PR.

My reading if fine, your logic is whacked.

the fact that rich countries tend to set higher poverty lines than poor countries, and that global poverty estimates have traditionally excluded industrialized countries and their populations altogether.

Puerto Rico is a U.S. territory so their poverty is measured by U.S. Standards which is one of the highest in the world not 3rd world country standards.


As long that Puerto Rico is a U.S. territory and their population are U.S. Citizens, Puerto Ricans will always be above the poverty line of the 3rd world $hitholes that you use as models.


that I miss something? Is Puerto Rico a ghost town? it still has 3.2 million people in an island of 130 x 35 miles, that still an overpopulated island. That's a bigger population than 22 U.S. States and more than double the population of Hawaii and if they leave is to move to the 50 States, just like moving from New York to Florida. Which is a benefit not a curse..........seguimos Hermano?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-26-2019, 03:32 PM
 
142 posts, read 26,642 times
Reputation: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion1999 View Post
My reading if fine, your logic is whacked.

the fact that rich countries tend to set higher poverty lines than poor countries, and that global poverty estimates have traditionally excluded industrialized countries and their populations altogether.

Puerto Rico is a U.S. territory so their poverty is measured by U.S. Standards which is one of the highest in the world not 3rd world country standards.


As long that Puerto Rico is a U.S. territory and their population are U.S. Citizens, Puerto Ricans will always be above the poverty line of the 3rd world $hitholes that you use as models.


that I miss something? Is Puerto Rico a ghost town? it still has 3.2 million people in an island of 130 x 35 miles, that still an overpopulated island. That's a bigger population than 22 U.S. States and more than double the population of Hawaii and if they leave is to move to the 50 States, just like moving from New York to Florida. Which is a benefit not a curse..........seguimos Hermano?
The poverty line used to measure DRs was THE US FEDERAL POVERTY LINE. no other poverty line has been used in this argument.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-26-2019, 09:40 PM
 
10,818 posts, read 3,583,787 times
Reputation: 5069
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapshoot View Post
The poverty line used to measure DRs was THE US FEDERAL POVERTY LINE. no other poverty line has been used in this argument.

More than a third of the DR lives on less than $1.25 a day and over 20 percent of the country lives in extreme poverty. Most of the poverty in the DR is concentrated in rural areas. The rural poverty rate is about three times as high as the urban poverty rate. According to a 2014 World Bank Report on Dominican inequality, only 2 percent of the population climbed to a higher income group, as opposed to the Latin American and Caribbean average of 41%.


Whenever that happens in Puerto Rico then I will join you and admit Puerto Rico is doomed.

There is a reason why the independentistas in Puerto Rico never find a Latin country model to sell their independence to the voters in Puerto Rico. They always have to go look to Asia or Europe like Ireland and Singapore because they know the Latin countries models are cr@p and it's a huge downgrade for Puerto Rico and it won't sell to the voters....but here you are trying to sell it.

You will never hear Ruben Berrios or Fernando Martin or Maria de Lourdes Santiago Negron use any of the 3rd world Latin countries as models to get elected and push independence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-27-2019, 05:46 AM
 
142 posts, read 26,642 times
Reputation: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion1999 View Post
More than a third of the DR lives on less than $1.25 a day and over 20 percent of the country lives in extreme poverty. Most of the poverty in the DR is concentrated in rural areas. The rural poverty rate is about three times as high as the urban poverty rate. According to a 2014 World Bank Report on Dominican inequality, only 2 percent of the population climbed to a higher income group, as opposed to the Latin American and Caribbean average of 41%.


Whenever that happens in Puerto Rico then I will join you and admit Puerto Rico is doomed.

There is a reason why the independentistas in Puerto Rico never find a Latin country model to sell their independence to the voters in Puerto Rico. They always have to go look to Asia or Europe like Ireland and Singapore because they know the Latin countries models are cr@p and it's a huge downgrade for Puerto Rico and it won't sell to the voters....but here you are trying to sell it.

You will never hear Ruben Berrios or Fernando Martin or Maria de Lourdes Santiago Negron use any of the 3rd world Latin countries as models to get elected and push independence.
i dont know much about DR but a simple google search revealed that you are pulling those numbers out of your ass

https://dominicantoday.com/dr/povert...ow-6-official/

dont use data from 2014 just because its convenient for your argument

2018 data say DR extreme poverty is 3.8%
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-27-2019, 07:27 AM
 
142 posts, read 26,642 times
Reputation: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion1999 View Post
More than a third of the DR lives on less than $1.25 a day and over 20 percent of the country lives in extreme poverty. Most of the poverty in the DR is concentrated in rural areas. The rural poverty rate is about three times as high as the urban poverty rate. According to a 2014 World Bank Report on Dominican inequality, only 2 percent of the population climbed to a higher income group, as opposed to the Latin American and Caribbean average of 41%.


Whenever that happens in Puerto Rico then I will join you and admit Puerto Rico is doomed.

There is a reason why the independentistas in Puerto Rico never find a Latin country model to sell their independence to the voters in Puerto Rico. They always have to go look to Asia or Europe like Ireland and Singapore because they know the Latin countries models are cr@p and it's a huge downgrade for Puerto Rico and it won't sell to the voters....but here you are trying to sell it.

You will never hear Ruben Berrios or Fernando Martin or Maria de Lourdes Santiago Negron use any of the 3rd world Latin countries as models to get elected and push independence.
thats what PR is a 3rd world latam country is life support from the US.
you dont understand the without the direct transfer of welfare, PR economy is the size of Bolivia's?
and please stop doing strait up currency conversions (for the 5th time)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-27-2019, 10:56 AM
 
10,818 posts, read 3,583,787 times
Reputation: 5069
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapshoot View Post
thats what PR is a 3rd world latam country is life support from the US.
you dont understand the without the direct transfer of welfare, PR economy is the size of Bolivia's?
and please stop doing strait up currency conversions (for the 5th time)



1) Being under the U.S. Jurisdiction and being U.S. Citizens have huge advantages. What's your point? If New Mexico, USA was still part of Mexico would they have the economy and security they have today?


2) if Alaska, USA was still part of Russia, would they have the economy and security they enjoy today?



3) You make it sound like Puerto Rico being a U.S. territory is NOT an advantage and shouldn't be mention why Puerto Rico has better numbers than the $hithole models you are using from Central and South America.



4) Do you consider Social Security and Medicare welfare transfer to Puerto Rico? or do Puerto Ricans workers and employers pay for that in taxes?


5) Why should I stop doing currency conversions when comparing economies because you don't like the facts and it doesn't support your argument (for the 5th time) The exchange rate, the price of one currency in terms of another, helps to determine a nation's economic health and hence the wellbeing of all the people residing in it. This is economics 101. Go ask the Venezuelans if currency conversations and the value of their currency in the market isn't important.


Ask them if they rather have U.S. Dollars right now or any other currency over the Bolivar in their pockets. Their Bolivar is worth as much as monopoly boardgame paper money.

Last edited by Hellion1999; 02-27-2019 at 11:05 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-27-2019, 11:15 AM
 
10,818 posts, read 3,583,787 times
Reputation: 5069
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapshoot View Post
i dont know much about DR but a simple google search revealed that you are pulling those numbers out of your ass

https://dominicantoday.com/dr/povert...ow-6-official/

dont use data from 2014 just because its convenient for your argument

2018 data say DR extreme poverty is 3.8%

So you don't know much about DR but here you are defending their model and crapping on Puerto Rico and you never been there. I have visited DR many times since the 80's (GREAT PEOPLE), it cheaper than P.R. and the U.S dollars multiplies in that country but their government is a $hithole.. I have been to the real DR, you know going outside of their tourist's resorts to see what's going on in the real world and talk to the people and see their everyday struggles and their corrupt government.

Have you ever been to Puerto Rico (outside of the resorts and Cruises area)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-27-2019, 12:49 PM
 
142 posts, read 26,642 times
Reputation: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion1999 View Post
1) Being under the U.S. Jurisdiction and being U.S. Citizens have huge advantages. What's your point? If New Mexico, USA was still part of Mexico would they have the economy and security they have today?


2) if Alaska, USA was still part of Russia, would they have the economy and security they enjoy today?



3) You make it sound like Puerto Rico being a U.S. territory is NOT an advantage and shouldn't be mention why Puerto Rico has better numbers than the $hithole models you are using from Central and South America.



4) Do you consider Social Security and Medicare welfare transfer to Puerto Rico? or do Puerto Ricans workers and employers pay for that in taxes?


5) Why should I stop doing currency conversions when comparing economies because you don't like the facts and it doesn't support your argument (for the 5th time) The exchange rate, the price of one currency in terms of another, helps to determine a nation's economic health and hence the wellbeing of all the people residing in it. This is economics 101. Go ask the Venezuelans if currency conversations and the value of their currency in the market isn't important.


Ask them if they rather have U.S. Dollars right now or any other currency over the Bolivar in their pockets. Their Bolivar is worth as much as monopoly boardgame paper money.
Puerto ricans dont pay fedral tax.
the US gob keeps a separate tab for the aid money to Puerto Rico.

USE PPP money at all times (drop the money conversions, no one does that, as thats irrelevant.

dolarizarion has historically failed in much of the world as countries prefer to be able to control the value of their currency. Only 2 countries have had partial success (Ecuador and el Salvador) but that has been partial and has not meant an improvement in the economics of the country.)

Last edited by Snapshoot; 02-27-2019 at 01:00 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-27-2019, 01:47 PM
 
10,818 posts, read 3,583,787 times
Reputation: 5069
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapshoot View Post
Puerto ricans dont pay fedral tax.
the US gob keeps a separate tab for the aid money to Puerto Rico.

USE PPP money at all times (drop the money conversions, no one does that, as thats irrelevant.

dolarizarion has historically failed in much of the world as countries prefer to be able to control the value of their currency. Only 2 countries have had partial success (Ecuador and el Salvador) but that has been partial and has not meant an improvement in the economics of the country.)


Why don't you google it since that's how you get your information. The federal taxes paid by Puerto Rico residents include import/export taxes, federal commodity taxes, and others. Residents also pay federal payroll taxes (Social Security and Medicare taxes).


Employers in Puerto Rico are subject to both Federal Insurance Contributions Act (FICA) tax. They also pay the Federal Unemployment Tax Act (FUTA) and that's not including the taxes they have to pay to the Puerto Rican central and local governments (municipalities).



Puerto Rico residents don't pay Federal Income Tax unless they work for federal agencies like FBI, DEA, Federal Courts, IRS, TSA, Post Office, Military and so on. With that said, they are not entitled to credits like the 50 states do like the Earned Income Credit.



Puerto Rico has about 23,103 Federal employees in the island (that's before the hurricane, so I'm guessing there are more now since Congress approved recovery funds but I will get back to you when I get the real numbers). Puerto Rico has a bigger number of federal employees working in the island than 12 states.



Puerto Rico pays about 3.5 billion a year to the U.S. Treasury. I hardly call that not paying federal taxes at all.



You would know that if you ever visited Puerto Rico and talk to people who work there and have businesses there or like you usually do, google it.

Last edited by Hellion1999; 02-27-2019 at 02:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-27-2019, 02:02 PM
 
Location: Philly
9,905 posts, read 13,890,013 times
Reputation: 2710
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapshoot View Post
Puerto ricans dont pay fedral tax.
the US gob keeps a separate tab for the aid money to Puerto Rico.

USE PPP money at all times (drop the money conversions, no one does that, as thats irrelevant.

dolarizarion has historically failed in much of the world as countries prefer to be able to control the value of their currency. Only 2 countries have had partial success (Ecuador and el Salvador) but that has been partial and has not meant an improvement in the economics of the country.)
in many cases, such as argentina, the main culprit was an inability to control spending. ending the link hasn't resulted in a magically prosperous country either.
eta: prior to the modern era, countries would periodically suspend their links to gold in order to spend profligately, usually to finance a war.

Last edited by pman; 02-27-2019 at 02:28 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top