U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2019, 05:38 PM

9,627 posts, read 11,939,445 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Californiaguy2007 View Post
To be honest most Americans do not consider The District of Columbia as a Territory,especially since our Nation's capital is located there.
What people consider and what is fact are two different things. The Nation's capital is located in the first of 6 territories. All domestic political entities except states are territories. The Mayor of Washington also functions as the Governor of the District.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2019, 07:41 PM

1,134 posts, read 832,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
What people consider and what is fact are two different things. The Nation's capital is located in the first of 6 territories. All domestic political entities except states are territories. The Mayor of Washington also functions as the Governor of the District.
Agreed, that guy doesn't speak for all Americans.

Old 03-17-2019, 08:53 PM

1,705 posts, read 3,928,383 times
I understand what your saying,but these are the common U.S Territories that come to mind for most people.

American Samoa
Guam
The Northern Mariana Islands
U.S Virgin Islands
Puerto Rico

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post

Old 03-23-2019, 06:08 AM

7,119 posts, read 2,289,200 times
Thank you for sharing and hello from the U.S. Virgin Islands. Nice to learn more about Guam. I had no idea how developed it is but it makes sense due to its proximity to Asia. We are nowhere near as developed here in the VI. We go to Puerto Rico or the mainland to get the real shopping malls and such. Anyway, hope to visit all the U.S. territories. I’ve done Puerto Rico and DC. Just need to visit the other side of the globe.

Old 03-25-2019, 10:50 AM

537 posts, read 475,991 times
Many linguistic scholars believe that the original Chamorro (Guamanian) language developed from that of the Austronesian people. It was a descendant of Malayo, Polynesian and Extra-Formosan which came from Austronesia people according to Guampedia.

Old 03-26-2019, 04:53 PM

1,705 posts, read 3,928,383 times
I wanted to share more info about Guam and The Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands(CNMI),because Puerto Rico and The U.S Virgin Islands most people here on the U.S Mainland have heard about because of it's closer proximity,but most people rarely heard of Guam or The CNMI.

To be honest the U.S Educational System is lousy in educating it's students regarding America's U.S Territories.

Yup Guam's strategic location and close proximity to Asia has benefited the island.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
Thank you for sharing and hello from the U.S. Virgin Islands. Nice to learn more about Guam. I had no idea how developed it is but it makes sense due to its proximity to Asia. We are nowhere near as developed here in the VI. We go to Puerto Rico or the mainland to get the real shopping malls and such. Anyway, hope to visit all the U.S. territories. Iíve done Puerto Rico and DC. Just need to visit the other side of the globe.

Old 03-26-2019, 05:44 PM

4,362 posts, read 2,949,250 times
Quote:
I understand what your saying,but these are the common U.S Territories that come to mind for most people.

American Samoa
Guam
The Northern Mariana Islands
U.S Virgin Islands
Puerto Rico

i think it works out perfectly for the flag if they ever become states. Just 5 more stars

I think we need concentrate on Americanizing the Caribbean and annexing Micronesia.

Old 03-26-2019, 07:23 PM

7,663 posts, read 8,382,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous-Boy View Post
i think it works out perfectly for the flag if they ever become states. Just 5 more stars

I think we need concentrate on Americanizing the Caribbean and annexing Micronesia.
The US Army's Institute of Heraldry has designs for flags with up to 59 stars.

What exactly do you mean by "Americanizing the Caribbean"?

Old 04-10-2019, 08:15 PM

28 posts, read 3,660 times
Quote:
Guam's culture is like a blend of Native Chamorro/Hispanic/Asian/American with also other influences from other Islander cultures from throughout the Pacific as well. The Native People and Language is called "Chamorro"(Chamoru), but English is widely spoken.
It would be a real pleasure to talk about Guam with someone with firsthand experience like you. I believe that what's happening in Puerto Rico tends to overshadow what's really going on in the rest of the territories in political, social and economic terms. We Puerto Ricans must be aware that the other territories share similar problems. Puerto Rico is not struggling alone.

The first thing that gets my attention about Guam is that English is widely spoken as well as their native language Chamorro in comparison to Puerto Rico, where Spanish is the main language and most residents resent having to learn English for fear of losing the culture.

I just know that in my 12 years living in the states, I have not lost "ni un pelo" of my Puerto Rican heritage. Just the opposite... my mind has broaden and I consider myself acculturated. Assimilation means that the person embraces 100% the host culture and forgets the original. That's not going to happen to Puerto Ricans. Acculturation, which is how I define my experience, means that the person has embraced aspects of both cultures (both the host and the native) and mixes them into one. Learning English is crucial to acculturate successfully.

Old 04-11-2019, 02:44 PM

7,663 posts, read 8,382,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diegomar2007 View Post
I just know that in my 12 years living in the states, I have not lost "ni un pelo" of my Puerto Rican heritage. Just the opposite... my mind has broaden and I consider myself acculturated. Assimilation means that the person embraces 100% the host culture and forgets the original. That's not going to happen to Puerto Ricans. Acculturation, which is how I define my experience, means that the person has embraced aspects of both cultures (both the host and the native) and mixes them into one. Learning English is crucial to acculturate successfully.
You know, visiting Puerto Rico as much as I have has led me to a similar position. I've come to accept and appreciate the Hispanic roots of large swaths of the United States. The truth is that places like Puerto Rico, Texas, New Mexico etc have been Hispanic for far longer than they've been Anglo.

Cultural diffusion is what makes the United States the greatest nation on Earth. We are more than just one language, one religion, or one cultural background.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories