Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2021, 10:21 PM

12 posts, read 17,493 times

Advertisements

I currently live in FL, but I'm interested in moving to Puerto Rico to get the 4% tax rate. I've been there before, but only for a couple of days. I like that it never gets cold, but I have some questions.

1. Is it possible to get internet there that's as fast/reliable as the mainland? If so where do I have to live? This is probably the most important thing for me as I often have to manage 7 figure positions.
2. Where is a good place for a single 31 year old who's well off, but isn't fluent in Spanish to live? (I hope to become at least conversational if I move there, but even after 5 years of taking it in grade school I can't say I am). Not sure if I'd rent or buy, but I'd like to stay under like $750k if I bought.
3. I'm an avid tennis player and play more nights than not. Where is a good place to play tennis? I see Humacao has a nice club, but I don't know how good that is for young people and if I'd be better off sticking to San Juan. Are there public courts or do I need to join a club? I see mixed weather data for San Juan. It's definitely wetter than Ponce/the southern part of the island, but how often does it rain there? Are nights usually dry?
4. Most property isn't on Zillow/Realtor.com I see. Where is a good place to look? I would like to buy or rent a 2 BR condo in a newish building that has reliable high speed internet.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2021, 04:44 PM

24,448 posts, read 25,978,821 times
^^ Palmas Del Mar in Humaco.

Old 03-13-2021, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motormaker View Post
^^ Palmas Del Mar in Humaco.
It looks very nice. I wonder what the rain pattern is like. I also wonder if it's too small for a young single guy like myself. I'm deciding between Puerto Rico and Miami. Paying a maximum of 4% income tax and 0% capital gains can really set me up to accumulate wealth.

Old 03-14-2021, 04:48 AM

4,696 posts, read 7,890,053 times
Get an experienced realtor to find where you can live. That is my advice.

Old 03-14-2021, 07:22 PM

1,956 posts, read 1,517,503 times
Smile sasie123

I think that you are worrying about too many things, all at once. I was born in Santurce, near the ocean, now I live in New York City. I lived in Miami for two years, but it has become too much of a cesspool.......

My advice to you, since you worry about uninterrupted internet service, would be to stick to the San Juan/Santurce area, since it has multitude of businesses of all kinds. And as a single person, you would have the opportunity to meet more people who are single. Lots of Americans as well as natives. Possibly renting in one of those high buildings near the ocean? The breezes are phenomenal. Just stay from areas that may have more crime that others.

You will never find Paradise, Paradise is within you........good-luck to you......

Old 03-15-2021, 05:21 AM

1,554 posts, read 3,031,800 times
https://www.clasificadosonline.com/

Your Zillow/Craigslist combo for the island.

Old 04-23-2021, 10:15 AM

Is Palmas del Mar the best place for tennis players? I know it rains a lot in San Juan.

Old 04-23-2021, 11:34 AM

1,888 posts, read 1,183,050 times
So act 20 and 22 are now act 60.
PR keeps asking for more money too.
It's now a 5k app fee plus 10k yearly donation.
They are lobbying to bring it back down but.....
Also if married and your wife does this too....you have to pay double.
Make sure you study up the latest.
Possibly PR could become a state in a few years and the party is over.
Have a bad year in the red? Your still paying 15k

Old 04-23-2021, 01:28 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,811,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockstrader View Post
I currently live in FL, but I'm interested in moving to Puerto Rico to get the 4% tax rate. I've been there before, but only for a couple of days. I like that it never gets cold, but I have some questions.

1. Is it possible to get internet there that's as fast/reliable as the mainland? If so where do I have to live? This is probably the most important thing for me as I often have to manage 7 figure positions.
2. Where is a good place for a single 31 year old who's well off, but isn't fluent in Spanish to live? (I hope to become at least conversational if I move there, but even after 5 years of taking it in grade school I can't say I am). Not sure if I'd rent or buy, but I'd like to stay under like $750k if I bought.
3. I'm an avid tennis player and play more nights than not. Where is a good place to play tennis? I see Humacao has a nice club, but I don't know how good that is for young people and if I'd be better off sticking to San Juan. Are there public courts or do I need to join a club? I see mixed weather data for San Juan. It's definitely wetter than Ponce/the southern part of the island, but how often does it rain there? Are nights usually dry?
4. Most property isn't on Zillow/Realtor.com I see. Where is a good place to look? I would like to buy or rent a 2 BR condo in a newish building that has reliable high speed internet.

Thanks
it does rain a lot in san juan though often for short periods. it is a city the size of Pittsburgh or Norfolk VA and will have the most english speakers and the most variety of stores, restaurants, etc. at $750k or less you can afford any location but you should probably rent first to get a feel for where is right for you.
4. https://www.point2homes.com/US/Real-...stings/PR.html

suggestions: humacao, as already suggested. some people complain about the distance to the nearest supermax which has better product selection than (and local stuff) than econo or selecto. caguas also has costco. san juan has the most to do and certainly for young people. dorado has been a magnet for people moving to the island, very much less urban than san juan (for better or worse). third, the island's northwest (isabela, aguadilla). more laid back, still has some good restaurants, more known for surfing than tennis though. the southwest sees the least rain, it's hotter but definitely more arid. downside is that it is more difficult to get to the main airport (same with aguadilla above). I would think that tennis is less of a thing here. ponce has some potential but is a pretty quiet price but it does have some nice architecture and is relatively easy access to both the southwest and san juan.

Old 04-23-2021, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
it does rain a lot in san juan though often for short periods. it is a city the size of Pittsburgh or Norfolk VA and will have the most english speakers and the most variety of stores, restaurants, etc. at $750k or less you can afford any location but you should probably rent first to get a feel for where is right for you.
4. https://www.point2homes.com/US/Real-...stings/PR.html

suggestions: humacao, as already suggested. some people complain about the distance to the nearest supermax which has better product selection than (and local stuff) than econo or selecto. caguas also has costco. san juan has the most to do and certainly for young people. dorado has been a magnet for people moving to the island, very much less urban than san juan (for better or worse). third, the island's northwest (isabela, aguadilla). more laid back, still has some good restaurants, more known for surfing than tennis though. the southwest sees the least rain, it's hotter but definitely more arid. downside is that it is more difficult to get to the main airport (same with aguadilla above). I would think that tennis is less of a thing here. ponce has some potential but is a pretty quiet price but it does have some nice architecture and is relatively easy access to both the southwest and san juan.
I would like to be within an hour of San Juan, because I will travel to the States a lot. I saw this today:https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=224504795736448 about Palmas. I have UPS in case my power goes down for a bit, but I probably would like a townhouse where I can run a generator just in case. Tennis is big to me and getting rained out every other night would be awful. When I search for courts it seems like Palmas and San Juan metro area are the only places they exist on the island. I'm interested in taking up surfing too. I'm not worried about PR becoming a state. That takes forever, a bipartisan effort, and I don't see Republicans allowing it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories