U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-12-2008, 05:48 AM

1,043 posts, read 2,200,291 times
Talking No StateHood 4 US Territories

Why would any US Territory vote for statehood...when they get all the benefits of the good old USA....without any of the BULL........the prime example is Puerto Rico....they continually vote statehood down...explaining that it would become toooooooo expensive for them......for once you become a state....new rules come into effect as to who has to pay for what....a prime example of this is Welfare....for the government continually passes a laws and then mandates that the states have to pay for it........as a territory...the government cannot force them to pay....and as such picks up most of the expenses.......which way would you prefer it?????

Another example is Hawaii......several years ago...after becoming a state....they voted to succeed......why....because of all the government mandates that were implemented after statehood......what a deal...So...once again...why would any US Territory vote for Statehood...knowing that once they did...they would get screwed by the good old USA....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2008, 04:19 PM

1,557 posts, read 2,543,987 times
You're looking at it from a rather skewed perspective. You're esentially making the equivalent argument of those who buy a house under the premise that you get to lower your tax liability due to the interest write off...where you're essentially spending 10 dollars to save 15 cents.

Since you brought up PR as the example, know that the tax liability in the island is off the rocker; you pay more in taxes to the island than what anybody pays up here with state and federal taxes combined. Wohoo! What a great deal deal PR is economically....Get your facts straight. If anything, PR is screwing us the mainland taxpayers, since we outright subsidize most infrastructure projects, education, services, and govt agencies' payroll (more than half of the working population works for the govt mind you). It may not be a state, but it sure is the textbook definition of a colony/welfare state, and people are NOT better off down there than the median individual in the CONUS. Once again, your 'better deal' argument falls flat on it's face.

Don't take my word for it. Move down there. You don't need a passport, just show up, change your residency and pick up your island tax form on your way to local unemployment line, see how you like the tax brackets down there.

The reality is that PR's chances to become a state are long gone. People down there don't express anti-state sentiment for economic reasons, they're largely uneducated about the matter (yes I said it), they mostly argue the topic under the premises of a false nationality identity and fear of cultural ambiguity (again ability to put food on the table interestingly absent from such discussions). In my view the island will remain a de facto colony of the mainland, regarded by most as a decent place to slap 100 Walmarts and a Sears, and for New Enlgand and Californian equity refugees to find cheap vacation homes in the next 30 years. I certainly don't see new industries popping up down there to support any kind of population/infrastructure growth (aka another reason to consider statehood from a CONUS point of view), nevermind the current economic state can't support the current population and infrastructure as it is. But again, don't take my word for it, I got that T-shirt, go get yourself yours and let me know how you like them apples.

Old 07-19-2008, 05:31 AM

1,043 posts, read 2,200,291 times
Unhappy Skewed Perspective

Well Hindsight2020....I have based my post on artilces that I have read regarding the advantages of statehood...vs...the dis-advantages of statehood for US Territories......and after seeing how Uncle Sam puts his hands/paws into your pocket after statehood...I can't see how any territory would ever vote for statehood......but I am sure that Hawaii would of loved to of had a Monday Morning Quarterback available before they voted for statehood...then perhaps they would of voted statehood down...tooooo bad you were not available to assist them......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories