Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2016, 10:55 PM

6 posts, read 7,144 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxSage View Post
I would definately not reccomend it, it is a dangerous crime ridden third world country, regardless of being a US territory. The Islanders are generally very resentful of Americans & I do not know hardly anyone there who has not been robbed, home invasions are common. Most Americans live togeather in clustered compounds because that is the only way they dare stay there.
There is shopping in St. Thomas, but is overpriced & touristy, you might as well just go to Acapulco. St. John is the prettiest, lush & green but not much there really. St. Croix is the largest & also the most dangerous, the east end is flat & dry, TX is much prettier, the west end has a rain forest but it is not a good idea to wander around there as the Rastafarians (I guess) get upset wondering what you are looking for. Get used to shopping at K-Mart as not much else. Even cruise ships have dropped the route due to crime.
The water is certainly blue, & there is some pretty old architecture, mainly Danish, & old sugar mills. Interesting for a day or so. It will cost about a million for any decent house, but you will probably get stuck with it, as many people who can afford them are pulling out. Fishing if you like that of course.
The only good things there are Conch (like Abalone) & great hot sauce, but you can get the former in Key West & import the latter. The weather is unbearably hot & bright, even by most TX standards. The moisture ruins anything nice so you cannot have things like framed prints there. I could go on but if you are really thinking of it you can email me, other drawbacks as well - no medical care - you must be airlifted to decent medical care. In case of hurricanes, riots, ect. it is hard to get off the island, also the local flight services are generally not to safe. It just sucks!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2016, 02:01 PM

1,453 posts, read 2,202,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormrider59 View Post
Yeah, no. Lived there 12 years, headed back, and we never had a problem. Of course you can find trouble if you go to the ATM in C'sted at midnight, or go stumbling around the wrong areas. It's all about common sense. It does tend toward third world simply because of the culture, developed since the early 1900's under Danish rule, of entitlement. Then in 1917 the U.S. Navy took over and the "system" that had been in place was demolished by military racism. Then in the '30's "self-governance" began and . . . eh, I need to write a book.

Old 06-29-2016, 05:20 PM

2 posts, read 2,458 times
i got a teaching job offer in the US VI. I am from SE Asia. But i am kinda hesitant because it is an island. I am afraid if it is prone to Tsunami or it is often passed by Cyclone. Please convince me by giving an updated reviews about the place? Please...thank you

Old 08-28-2016, 10:11 PM

1 posts, read 1,570 times
Hi Doug! I realize This is a very old Article But I can't help but wonder what happened As I am in the same situation Now As you were then except im a single women Looking for my own little Slice of Heaven! The only difference is It can't be in America So the other Islands Nearby Or anywhere close would be wonderful! So since we are so much alike but you are ahead of me lol! I thought I'd take a shot and reach out to you to see if you might get this.
I go by Franki but my name is Francine Lapensee. You can look me up if you need to and I can be reached at 818-857-0142 and [email]f.Lapensee@yahoo.com[/email] Thank you!

Old 09-26-2016, 03:15 PM

1 posts, read 1,446 times
Wink salon thomas st.jacques

Hello, interested in transitioning from california to us virgin islands looking to make friends will be visiting in 2017 to st.thomas single urban male.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories