U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-01-2009, 10:32 PM
SWV
 
Location: After College Brooklyn/Bronx/Queens NYC
445 posts, read 1,192,809 times
Reputation: 160

Advertisements

Wait, so if the whites never invaded Puerto Rico like they did, Puerto Ricans would be mostly Middle Eastern & Chinese? That's cool..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-02-2009, 05:32 AM
 
228 posts, read 659,313 times
Reputation: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWV View Post
Wait what?
What do you mean diluting the black down?
Just a measure of quantity of melanin in the skin. If a black person has kids with a white person, the kids will have less melanin than the black parent and more than the white parent. Just a figure of speech.

If we all intermix, eventually our descendants will be an even shade of brown. Not an entirely genetically correct statement but true in broad terms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-02-2009, 05:34 AM
 
228 posts, read 659,313 times
Reputation: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWV View Post
Wait, so if the whites never invaded Puerto Rico like they did, Puerto Ricans would be mostly Middle Eastern & Chinese? That's cool..
huh? where did you get this?

whites, middle eastern, and Chinese, ALL are imported to the island. As are all others in the mix except for the native indians.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-04-2009, 02:33 PM
 
Location: Center of the universe
24,757 posts, read 32,919,302 times
Reputation: 11780
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWV View Post
WOW!!! That's is really different but cool, I would of never thought!!! My best friend is from Puerto Rico and he's Chinese/Black/Native/White...odd mix.

That's more common in the Latin Caribbean than you think. My grandfather is Cuban and is the same mix.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-15-2009, 02:57 PM
 
6,011 posts, read 6,730,432 times
Reputation: 739
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelaldo View Post
Well... if you want to get REAL technical, many Spaniards have moorish and arab traces in their DNA.... can't shake off 800 yrs of muslim occupation. lol.
theres diputes of them being african/african arabs...muslim is just a religion..queen liz also expelled them from spain
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-15-2009, 02:58 PM
 
6,011 posts, read 6,730,432 times
Reputation: 739
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuenoQueHacemohAhora View Post
Just a measure of quantity of melanin in the skin. If a black person has kids with a white person, the kids will have less melanin than the black parent and more than the white parent. Just a figure of speech.

If we all intermix, eventually our descendants will be an even shade of brown. Not an entirely genetically correct statement but true in broad terms.

brown as in what black people are brown skinned technically
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-15-2009, 07:18 PM
 
Location: Lafayette, LA
43 posts, read 42,555 times
Reputation: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by city414 View Post
theres diputes of them being african/african arabs...muslim is just a religion..queen liz also expelled them from spain
Err . Queen Liz?!! There was no Queen Elizabeth of Spain, you mean Queen Isabella!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-16-2009, 01:06 AM
 
Location: .N6 A4
3,248 posts, read 4,097,092 times
Reputation: 2625
The poet Victor Hernández Cruz writes about this frequently:

Coffee House Press: Books (http://www.coffeehousepress.org/themountaininthesea.asp - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-16-2009, 07:23 AM
 
228 posts, read 659,313 times
Reputation: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meiriongwril View Post
Err . Queen Liz?!! There was no Queen Elizabeth of Spain, you mean Queen Isabella!
If you want to get THAT picky, then there wans't a Queen Isabella, but a Queen Isabel of Spain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-16-2009, 09:25 AM
 
Location: Center of the universe
24,757 posts, read 32,919,302 times
Reputation: 11780
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuenoQueHacemohAhora View Post
If you want to get THAT picky, then there wans't a Queen Isabella, but a Queen Isabel of Spain.

Or Ysabel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top