U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2010, 11:01 AM

1 posts, read 5,033 times

Advertisements

First of all thank you for taking the time to ask that question I was emotional reading it and u ll know why, as you might know spain was invaded by north african arabs from morocco that stayed there for 700 years they ruled most of spain under the name of alandalus or andalucia and the last kingdom was Granada that was taken by christian spain in 1492 (remember that colombus discovered PR in 1493) if you want to know more about these arabs look up "moors" or "moriscos" in spanish..spain or andalucia was an incredible place of economical prosperity and culture (btw 4000 spanish words came from arabic) and you can still see some of it if you go to alhambra granada or to the city of cordoba spain, during that time muslims christians and jews lived in peace under the rule of the islamic arab sultans or caliphs that were btw very open and less conservative than some muslims now, anyway after spain took over they were given the choice to convert to christianity or leave the country some of them left to latin america (guess where :-) or north africa..but some stayed and pretended they converted but they didnt spanish king found out after a while and ordered them deported in 1609, they deported almost 1 million people just because they look arab and they might be muslim...anyway most of them came to morocco (and I am a direct descendant) and the rest went to italy turkey and latin america mostly dominican colombia and puerto rico, spain covered it up because it is such a shame but hey now its the subject of a big debate in spain ([url=http://www.rtve.es/mediateca/videos/20091228/documental-debate--explulsion-moriscos/657676.shtml]Documental y debate : La explulsión de los Moriscos - RTVE.es[/url]

You know I moved to the us 3 years ago and unlike other latinos as soon as I saw a puerto rican man or woman I would think they are from morocco...I knew about the story of moriscos so I did some more research to know why are they so similar to moroccans...I am going there next month also for that matter...we are brothers!
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2010, 08:06 PM

1 posts, read 4,716 times
Default Lost Tribes

Señor Borikua,

I would be very interested in knowing the name of your books in reference to the lost tribes. As a "boricua" myself, I am searching for more information about our roots. I would appreciate it. ¡Gracias!

Old 07-26-2010, 05:37 PM

8,830 posts, read 14,231,780 times
Keep in mind that the Middle East has always been a "middle ground", a crossroads of the world. "White Europe" is immediately to the north, "Black Africa" to the south (as well as India to the southeast, where people have Caucasian hair styles and facial features but "black" skin/hair coloring). So you would expect the Middle East to be an area where most people are "brown" and a lot of "mixing" (some who are "whiter", some "darker", etc.).

Same thing in Puerto Rico, Cuba, Mexico, etc. In addition the the Arabs, the Sephardic Jews (who were a significant part of the Spanish/Portguese population and many geneticists say "mixed" into the population through post-Inquisition conversion) are a very similar genetic component.

Just my thoughts on it, coming from someone with two Jewish (and supposedly non-Sephardic, but I think that's not totally true of my mother) parents, a father with blonde hair/blue eyes, and a mother who looks like a "light skinned Latino". When I have the money, I'd be very curious to take the genetic test the OP mentioned.

Old 12-17-2010, 08:50 PM

138 posts, read 273,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
So like a good PR boy, I always understood that I am foremost Spanish, and likely have Taino and African blood in me, because that is what we are told PRs major influences were. Of course there were a variety of other settlers, including varying Europeans, Asians, Jews, etc, but the Spanish/Taino/African mix is the most abundant (for lack of a better word). That being said, I recently took a dna test to get some insight into my lineage, and discovered that I am basically 100% Arab (a mix of different Arab populations), and that the region of the world that I am most similar to, genetically, is not Latin America (or any Latin American country) or Europe, it is Mesopotamia (Iran/Iraq areas). In fact, my closest genetic relatives are the Kurds in Northern Iraq. So my questions are these: Both my parents are from PR, as are my grandparents, however I have virtually NO Spanish/European, Taino, or African influence of any substance, and am basically 100% of Arab descent. How is this possible? Is this common? How large was/is the middle eastern influence in Puerto Rico historically? Could PR be surpressing the role of middle eastern migration for some reason or maybe just doesn't know how large a role it played?
Don't have a lot of time but Puerto Ricans have very significant Arab genetics mostly from especially Lebanon, Palestine/Israel, and to a lesser extent Syria, and Iraq. Two reasons for this. One was Muslim expansion through Spain and intermixing, two was many of the conquistadors were Arabic from these countries primarily. Third was direct Lebanese/Palestinian migration to the island. Very interesting.

Old 12-21-2010, 04:39 PM

204 posts, read 458,472 times
This is the genetic map of europe(I watch a lot of threads talking around this): http://i39.tinypic.com/2qluxvl.png

Old 12-21-2010, 06:09 PM

18,563 posts, read 15,768,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
So like a good PR boy, I always understood that I am foremost Spanish, and likely have Taino and African blood in me, because that is what we are told PRs major influences were. Of course there were a variety of other settlers, including varying Europeans, Asians, Jews, etc, but the Spanish/Taino/African mix is the most abundant (for lack of a better word). That being said, I recently took a dna test to get some insight into my lineage, and discovered that I am basically 100% Arab (a mix of different Arab populations), and that the region of the world that I am most similar to, genetically, is not Latin America (or any Latin American country) or Europe, it is Mesopotamia (Iran/Iraq areas). In fact, my closest genetic relatives are the Kurds in Northern Iraq. So my questions are these: Both my parents are from PR, as are my grandparents, however I have virtually NO Spanish/European, Taino, or African influence of any substance, and am basically 100% of Arab descent. How is this possible? Is this common? How large was/is the middle eastern influence in Puerto Rico historically? Could PR be surpressing the role of middle eastern migration for some reason or maybe just doesn't know how large a role it played?
Two things could be happening here. There was extensive migration from the ArabWorld to Latin America and the Caribbean during the late 19th century or 20th century. The richest man in the world, a Mexican Carlos Slim Helu is a descended from Arabs as is Selma Hayek.

Another possibility(and probably most likely since you have no recent family memory of the Arab World) is that your "Spaniard" forebearers were actually Arab Muslims fleeing the Inquisition. Puerto Rico is the oldest colony, founded not that long after the initial Inquisition. Puerto Rico would have been an attractive destination for secret Muslims and Jews in Spain.

Old 12-21-2010, 09:42 PM

138 posts, read 273,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Two things could be happening here. There was extensive migration from the ArabWorld to Latin America and the Caribbean during the late 19th century or 20th century. The richest man in the world, a Mexican Carlos Slim Helu is a descended from Arabs as is Selma Hayek.

Another possibility(and probably most likely since you have no recent family memory of the Arab World) is that your "Spaniard" forebearers were actually Arab Muslims fleeing the Inquisition. Puerto Rico is the oldest colony, founded not that long after the initial Inquisition. Puerto Rico would have been an attractive destination for secret Muslims and Jews in Spain.
Many of the conquistadors were from Arabic nations. Many native Spanish share Arabic genetics from various countries, more compared to most other Europeans except maybe the Portuguese and Italians (And many other European immigrants have traveled to Puerto Rico, largest %). There was also significant immigration from Lebanon and modern day Palestine/Isreal. There has also been significant immigration from Malta, Corsica, and the Canary Islands (Tons of Arab immigration/mixing there).

Arab genetics are definitely significant in the people of Puerto Rico.

Old 05-15-2011, 12:31 PM

1 posts, read 3,848 times
What kind of test did you took and where and how did you know thats true... I am from P.R. and people say im middle eastern I want to take that test so can you please tell me. Thank you

Old 05-15-2011, 02:56 PM

6,948 posts, read 2,027,579 times
Minorities of Syrians, Lebanese and other groups have settled across the Caribbean for years now. As also discussed, Spaniards have had significant contact with the Middle East which has left an impact on their heritages. So it should certainly come as no surprise that people in Puerto Rico or any where else in the Caribbean region have Arab/Middle Eastern background. To the OP, you are a testimony of the diversity of your nation and the entire region.

Old 05-19-2011, 12:11 PM

1 posts, read 3,813 times
Well, I'm a Puerto Rican, from Humacao, my mom is from El Cocal beach, Yabucoa, and my dad from Lares. My friends at school in PR used to make fun of my eyebrows since they're thick. Now as an adult I've shown a great interest in the arabic culture and both my young brother and I have learned quite a lot of arabic. But, what is surprising is that my brother has learned most of it with Arabs in Puerto Rico, and it takes a lot of arabs for you to practice and grasp the language. And now I live in Seattle, and people often, if not always, ask me if am from the middle east, to which I say, la, ana mish arabii, ana min Burtu Riku fi albahr al caribayn, lakin ana uhibu alloghah alarabiya katheeran, liana hiya allogha jameela! So now I'm proud of my thick eyebrows: they came from the canary islands and southern spain, which has a lot of African-arab influence based on my dad's account. So who knows, perhaps am actually an arab descendant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories