U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2009, 11:44 AM

1,990 posts, read 1,836,902 times
Default witchcraft/voodoo in Puerto Rico

Someone told me there is a town in Puerto Rico known for its witchcraft. How widespread is witchcraft/voodoo on the island?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2009, 12:44 PM

1,578 posts, read 1,533,109 times
The town of Guayama is known as the mecca of "los brujos." In addtion, Santeria evolved into part of the local culture since western Africans were brought over as slaves. However, given Puerto Rico's assimilation to U.S. mainland culture, Santeria is less visible in PR than what it appears to be in Cuba's local culture.

Nonetheless, here's to you in the language of Lucumi..."imbele suyu cu m mare."

As it is said in PR, "el que no tiene Dinka, tiene Mandinka!" But that's a whole other story.

Old 05-24-2009, 06:29 AM

1,990 posts, read 1,836,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chacho_keva View Post
The town of Guayama is known as the mecca of "los brujos." In addtion, Santeria evolved into part of the local culture since western Africans were brought over as slaves. However, given Puerto Rico's assimilation to U.S. mainland culture, Santeria is less visible in PR than what it appears to be in Cuba's local culture.

As it is said in PR, "el que no tiene Dinka, tiene Mandinka!" But that's a whole other story.
I'm sorry - you are going to have to translate that for me!

Old 05-25-2009, 05:04 AM

1,040 posts, read 2,155,912 times
Exclamation It's On The Mainland 2!!!

There is voodoo/witchcraft on the mainland as well......in the Bronx, part of NYC, in different parks...it is practiced on a regular basis...and since it is considered a religion...it is protected by the Consitution......

When walking around in different areas throughout NYC...you will see various religious items on sale to assist those who choose to follow it...or just want to bring something back from NY......hopefully it's not cursed......

Old 05-26-2009, 10:12 AM

23,910 posts, read 19,390,495 times
Quote:

LOL. I just bought an official slave identity document in San Juan, and that's what one of the guys in the shop said to me. I like the saying, but not too many Dinkas (from Sudan) ended up in Puerto Rico. Then again, there are some really tall people in Carolina.

When you spell it "Dinga" and "Mandinga" the saying takes on a slightly different meaning.

Old 05-26-2009, 10:15 AM

23,910 posts, read 19,390,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty78 View Post
There is voodoo/witchcraft on the mainland as well......in the Bronx, part of NYC, in different parks...it is practiced on a regular basis...and since it is considered a religion...it is protected by the Consitution......

When walking around in different areas throughout NYC...you will see various religious items on sale to assist those who choose to follow it...or just want to bring something back from NY......hopefully it's not cursed......
Yes, although voodoo/African religion exists primarily among Afro-Latin people (PR/Cuba/Haiti/Dominican/Panama/Colombia, etc) in the USA, America has its own indigenous African beliefs. Most are centered in South Louisiana (which in itself has a strong Afro-Latin heritage), but African Americans in the "Black Belt" of South Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Alabama and Mississippi also practice forms of African folk religion.

Old 07-02-2009, 10:30 PM

434 posts, read 467,506 times
Quote:

That would be "translated" to: "If you're not the shizzle, then you're fo' shizzle". I think...

Meaning that most Puerto Rican people have some African ancestor. I'm very pale, but my maternal grandfather is an Afro Caribbean man. However, none of his kids (my mother and uncles) was born black. Since my grandmother had some Indian blood (she's pale, thought), my uncles looked more like "mestizos", while my mother is a mulatto; very white, but with curly hair, small ears, and a huge ass. I look just like that.

Old 07-15-2009, 06:11 PM

709 posts, read 1,137,546 times
Quote:
while my mother is a mulatto; very white, but with curly hair, small ears, and a huge ass. I look just like that.
What does ear size have to do with race ?

So does that mean Obama is White because he has big ears ?

I am of 100% European ancestry but I have small ears, so does that make me Nonwhite ? Even though I do not have a single African or Indian ancestor in my family tree.

Old 07-20-2009, 08:35 AM

1,261 posts, read 1,366,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John McClane View Post
What does ear size have to do with race ?

So does that mean Obama is White because he has big ears ?

I am of 100% European ancestry but I have small ears, so does that make me Nonwhite ? Even though I do not have a single African or Indian ancestor in my family tree.
They have a lot to do, the same way that blacks have flat wide noses and curly hair. And Obama has big ears because his mother is white. If you look at a picture of Obama with his dad, you'll see that his dad had smaller ears, even when compared with a child Obama.

http://roadkillrefugee.files.wordpress.com/2008/03/obama-father-son.png (broken link)

The fact that you just admitted having small ears makes me question if you are really 100% white. Who knows if there's an African person up your family tree that you are not aware of.

Old 07-20-2009, 03:11 PM

709 posts, read 1,137,546 times
Quote:
The fact that you just admitted having small ears makes me question if you are really 100% white. Who knows if there's an African person up your family tree that you are not aware of.
My ancestors on both sides came to the U.S through Ellis Island so it is extremely unlikely that there any Africans in my family tree. I have absolutely no family ties to the colonial slave states of the South. And appearance wise I am the extreme opposite of what an African looks like since I have a prominant nose that can be confused for a "Jewish nose" or a "Roman nose", pale skin, and blue eyes.

Besides I know plenty of Whites who have small ears and they all have Caucasian shaped lips, nose, and hair texture just like me.

Quote:
They have a lot to do, the same way that blacks have flat wide noses and curly hair. And Obama has big ears because his mother is white. If you look at a picture of Obama with his dad, you'll see that his dad had smaller ears, even when compared with a child Obama.
Will Smith has big ears and both of his parents are Black.

Last edited by John McClane; 07-20-2009 at 03:29 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories