U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2016, 11:15 PM

9,064 posts, read 3,057,291 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post

The residents of NY, NJ, FL; CA, HI, TX; WA, CO, OK; etc are the owners of the territory those states occupy. The residents of US territories are not the owners of said territory, Congress is. Congress can even strip the PR government of every power it has, including the ability to set and collect its own taxes or even to decide its own local laws among many other things. Congress can never do that to say NY or FL.

What this technically means is that the typical American that has never set foot on PR has more power over PR via the congressmen that represents him than does the typical Jose Rivera that has lived his whole life on the island.

The U.S. treats Puerto Rico like the other 37 territories that are states today.

The territory of Utah from 1850 to 1896 was in the same spot Puerto Rico is today....actually to be precise, Congress has given P.R. more local sovereignty than the 37 territories before they became states.

the difference is the local sovereignty Puerto Rico has its given by LAW from Congress under the territorial clause of the constitution and the sovereignty of the states is given by the Constitution.

Meaning, Congress can add or take more sovereignty as they see fit to their territories by an act of Congress.....while the sovereignty of the states is cut and dry in the Constitution and Congress can't do anything to the states without amending the constitution and that's really hard.

By the way, Congress has never stripped off local power any of their 37 territories in the past unless there is Martial Law or a Civil War.

U.S. Congress always respects the local governments of all 37 territories. Congress was the one that declared a land a territory of the U.S. and authorized the residents of the territory to have an organized republic type of government with a territorial constitution under the jurisdiction of congress.

The Federal government is not going to get involved in the internal affairs of Puerto Rico unless there is a violation of the U.S. Constitution or federal laws.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2016, 08:41 AM

128 posts, read 223,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chikooeste View Post
You still would need a 2 year visa, not leave Spain for any length of time and renounce your US citizenship
How to Get Your Spanish Citizenship
For citizenship in the EU, that is ok. Besides, you only have to reside there for 2 years. You can take vacations, it just can't exceed a certain amount of dats.

Seriously, if the Spain connection did not exisit, I would use this certificate as $30 toilet paper.

I am someone who likes options...the certificate is legit (insomuch that yes the "Puerto Rican State Department" offers the certificate, so it is an official government document AND the Kingdom of Spain recognizes the document as proof that one is from an Ibero-American "country")

I personally would rather live in the UK than Spain. I was born and raised in the US to two Puerto Rican parents. I relate more to the US than Puerto Rico. However, 2 years in Spain I get an EU passport because I gave the government of Puerto Rico $30 and let them hold my and my father's birth certificate for a couple of days? Yeah I will do that...and I have.

But no, let me say this...there are Puerto Ricans and other Americans who are interested in second citizenship for travel and other purposes. I would not mind a European passport, especially when I do not have to renounce my American citizenship. If you are one of those people here is the link:

Documents Certification and Filing of Regulations | Departamento de Estado

Americans without this would have to go to Spain for 10 years...this would only be 2...for $30, why not. Every first generation Puerto Rican-American should do this just to have the option of being a European citizen down the road...especially if I have to choose between Hillary or Trump...lmao.

Old 05-19-2016, 05:02 PM

468 posts, read 816,076 times
Came in late to this discussion, but to clear things up, THE AMERICAN CITIZENSHIP OF THE ISLAND IS NOT THE SAME AS THE 50 States.

Before the attacks begin, let's clear up some the mess. . The American Citizen of Puerto Ricans born on the island is statutory, by an act of Congress. The American citizenship of the residents of the 50 states is CONSTITUTIONAL, and protected by the constitution.

Why aren't the two citizenships the same? First, full American citizenship for those from Puerto Rico only works if you leave the island. If you are a RESIDENT of the island you cannot vote for Congress or the President, which are in fact the folks that rule you.

This can be remedied by Statehood. However since the Cold War ended Congress sees no reason to burden itself with an island in which 50% + live on the Federal dole. If statehood were considered, the island, because of population, will have 6 or 7 representatives in the House, more than 26 English speaking states.

What to do? I dunno. The only thing I do know is that as Puerto Ricans move toward statehood Congress might be having second thoughts about keeping its territory that only gives them headaches and doesn't contribute anything to the national interest. Does any one here know how a Puerto Rican state will contribute to American interests? Please let me know.

Old 05-19-2016, 05:26 PM

468 posts, read 816,076 times
It's kinda strange how Statehooders see the word NATION, and quickly get hysterical. I dont see that hysteria among native Americans, who consider themselves a nation. Some still speak their native languages and consider themselves different. Although Hawaii started out as an independent nation, its population was quickly absorbed, and only retains memories and hula dancers to entertain tourists.

Are native Americans more of a nation than Puerto Ricans? It all depends by the yardstick you look at it. Puerto Ricans , before 1898 had a NATIONAL IDENTITY, something Hawaiians or native Americans never developed. It's much easier to compare Puerto Rico culturally to Quebec, but to even mention this sends statehooders up a wall.

Washington already knows this, and maybe why they keep statehood at a distance.

Old 05-20-2016, 06:02 AM

7,624 posts, read 8,115,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clip314 View Post
It's kinda strange how Statehooders see the word NATION, and quickly get hysterical. I dont see that hysteria among native Americans, who consider themselves a nation. Some still speak their native languages and consider themselves different. Although Hawaii started out as an independent nation, its population was quickly absorbed, and only retains memories and hula dancers to entertain tourists.

Are native Americans more of a nation than Puerto Ricans? It all depends by the yardstick you look at it. Puerto Ricans , before 1898 had a NATIONAL IDENTITY, something Hawaiians or native Americans never developed. It's much easier to compare Puerto Rico culturally to Quebec, but to even mention this sends statehooders up a wall.

Washington already knows this, and maybe why they keep statehood at a distance.
Tell me some more of about your mighty independence movement. Your last chance at independence was this fiscal crisis ... and not even the most racist, most bigoted Congress in history could bring themselves to do anything other than impose spending controls on Puerto Rico.

Old 05-22-2016, 02:49 AM

9,693 posts, read 5,275,637 times
Quote:
Came in late to this discussion, but to clear things up, THE AMERICAN CITIZENSHIP OF THE ISLAND IS NOT THE SAME AS THE 50 States.

Before the attacks begin, let's clear up some the mess. . The American Citizen of Puerto Ricans born on the island is statutory, by an act of Congress. The American citizenship of the residents of the 50 states is CONSTITUTIONAL, and protected by the constitution.

Why aren't the two citizenships the same? First, full American citizenship for those from Puerto Rico only works if you leave the island. If you are a RESIDENT of the island you cannot vote for Congress or the President, which are in fact the folks that rule you.

This can be remedied by Statehood. However since the Cold War ended Congress sees no reason to burden itself with an island in which 50% + live on the Federal dole. If statehood were considered, the island, because of population, will have 6 or 7 representatives in the House, more than 26 English speaking states.

What to do? I dunno. The only thing I do know is that as Puerto Ricans move toward statehood Congress might be having second thoughts about keeping its territory that only gives them headaches and doesn't contribute anything to the national interest. Does any one here know how a Puerto Rican state will contribute to American interests? Please let me know.
While that point is true, I don't think this prospect is holding up a real vote on PR statehood. Rather, its the likely 2 Democratic U.S. Senators from PR that is holding up a vote on statehood. Indeed, while 6-7 (assuming they were all Democrats) new Democratic votes in the House won't be enough to change the balance of power in the House for the foreseeable future, the same cannot be said for the Senate. Simply put, the Senate GOP has little to gain by agreeing to PR statehood.

Old 05-22-2016, 10:10 AM

122 posts, read 72,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion1999 View Post
nah. leave it there so everybody sees how clueless you are!

I love how a NON-Puerto Rican like yourself tells me a Puerto Rican about our history, politics and status and how connected we are today to Spain and the Spanish government, that shi@t is hilarious! We can't wait to get rid of the U.S.A. to go back to Spain and be a Spanish Citizen.....lol

There might be some PR born in PR that are both US national and PR citizens that might be interested in the PR citizenship.

Why? They would only need two years of legal residence in Spain to become Spanish citizens, and hence citizens of the EU.

Old 05-24-2016, 09:32 AM

3,231 posts, read 3,475,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeckOutOfNJ View Post
For citizenship in the EU, that is ok.
I don't know man. You wouldn't be able to get back into the states, only on tourist visa, plus you renounce US gov benefits like social security. (Spanish social security is much lower). You certainly would not be allowed to gain legal employment in the US, only on temporary work visa as an expat. It only works for people who decide to move to the EU permanently due to special cases like marriage, etc, since there is no process to reverse your decision.

Old 05-27-2016, 12:52 PM

1,563 posts, read 942,064 times
Whys is this so complicated… you R a US citizen not a Boricua citizen. you apply for American citizenship. thats like asking how can I be a New York citizen?

Old 05-28-2016, 04:36 AM

9,064 posts, read 3,057,291 times
Quote:

this is what happens when they don't teach American Civics 101 in the public schools in Puerto Rico.

All citizenship (2 types Natural and Naturalized) are protected by the constitution........the Constitution only mentions 2 types of citizenship, Natural and Naturalized......it doesn't say anything about "statutory" citizenship.

the reason territories can't vote for President or Congress it has NOTHING to do with U.S. CITIZENSHIP. It has to do that territories are NOT sovereign states. The power under the constitution to have electoral college to vote for President and have representation in Congress is given to the sovereignty of the states, not citizenship.

the constitution is not specific in lots of things, Congress defines it by an ACT..........constitution doesn't mention anything about marriage or even gay marriage but its protected by the constitution by an act of congress and/or the courts. (declaration)

the U.S. citizenship given to Puerto Ricans is protected by the constitution by an act of congress and later the Supreme Court that declared that congress can't take away involuntarily the citizenship of anybody.....it doesn't matter what color, race, religion, sexual orientation, gender, age they are or if they live in the states, territories or abroad, the constitution protects all U.S. Citizens.

I see the older you get the more confuse you get.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories