Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 09:52 AM

1,138 posts, read 3,289,694 times

Advertisements

I had a job-search interview this morning. Appt was for 8:30am...got there at 8:25...didn't get called til 9:15 (I was the first person there btw -- only saw about 4 or 5 folks showed up).

So I finally get called in and I'm greeted by this older dude. He asked for my resume..gave it to him...then he looked at it and after putting it on his desk he performed some search on a computer...after looking at the screen with a blank face for about 10 mins he looked up and said..."Uhh couldn't find anything--well just continue looking for a job and claiming your benefits--have a good one!"...those were his EXACT words...then he handed me a sheet with some websites that I already have from the last time I went to the UE office and sent me on my way!

What a joke! I almost felt insulted...I basically woke up at 7:30 am...took the express bus...skipped breakfast..then got stuck on line in front of the UE bldg...didn't get called til 45 mins AFTER the appointment time on the letter...just for some dude to do what basically looked like an internet search and after 10 mins tell me "tough luck"...AWESOME! He never asked to see my job search log either.

Btw--this guy happens to be my UE "counselor"...and every time I see this clown it always involved some half-ass internet search followed by a "well sorry kiddo--no luck--just keep looking for work and claiming your benefits!" Then as I was looking around today I saw a woman counselor behind looking like she was offering some real help to a lady who came after me. They're lucky these appointments are mandatory...or else I wouldn't have even showed up. This is in NYC btw...and my job field is IT.

Sorry for the long rant!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2010, 12:51 PM

117 posts, read 266,818 times
Yep...

Been there done that, back in 2006. I too am in IT, and it was a challenge finding work then as well.

That sounds like my counselor. lol! Its all a "game". They know there are no jobs. They just have to go thru "protocol" and appear to do their jobs.

I worked him to death though, with paperwork and reporting. I went thru WIA training back then, and obtained my MCSE.

Old 06-10-2010, 01:07 PM

848 posts, read 1,952,663 times
I think a lot of these counselors don't know a lick about the computer field or how to extrapolate skills from a resume. The acronyms probably look like hieroglyphics to them.

Old 06-10-2010, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Georgia Peach View Post
Yep...

Been there done that, back in 2006. I too am in IT, and it was a challenge finding work then as well.

That sounds like my counselor. lol! Its all a "game". They know there are no jobs. They just have to go thru "protocol" and appear to do their jobs.

I worked him to death though, with paperwork and reporting. I went thru WIA training back then, and obtained my MCSE.
That's awesome...how long it took you to get the cert? I'm self-studying for the A+ exam.

Old 06-10-2010, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creek Hollow View Post
I think a lot of these counselors don't know a lick about the computer field or how to extrapolate skills from a resume. The acronyms probably look like hieroglyphics to them.
LOL...agreed!

Old 06-10-2010, 02:36 PM

274 posts, read 998,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorofnyc View Post
That's awesome...how long it took you to get the cert? I'm self-studying for the A+ exam.
sorry to hear about your experience today... i hate disorganization too! if that person was a "recruiter" then i'd personally have problems and would not waste your time. i know some recruiters out there that are looking at IT people but in various industries - the one i was in is healthcare (and i'm trying to stay in there).

if you're willing to venture out into the healthcare field doing IT work, assuming you have experience (obviously certs are a plus), i can give you some contact information to a recruiter my friends have worked with. i personally didn't work with him because i was looking for a different type of role but i've heard really good things.

keep your head up, mayorofnyc. i know NYC is what it is but there are opportunities out there and sometimes it's something you would least expect! 2 years ago, i would never think i'd find myself in healthcare but here i am

Old 06-10-2010, 02:59 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,839,560 times
It wasn't a recruiter - it was an unemployment job search review.

Mine basically did the same as far as looking on the computer then only being able to find 2 " suitable" jobs (both pt and barely min wage)

Old 06-10-2010, 03:46 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,033,913 times
Maybe call and see if you can get assigned a different "career counselor?"

One thing though--I was up at 5:30 to get some things done before work, I don't have any sympathy that you had to drag yourself out of bed at 7:30.

Old 06-10-2010, 05:23 PM

117 posts, read 266,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorofnyc View Post
Training was about 3 months at an approved provider location.

I received a stipend for childcare, and all books and tuition were paid in
full through the WIA program.

They even paid for all (7) of my test vouchers!

Old 06-10-2010, 05:27 PM

600 posts, read 1,074,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Georgia Peach View Post
Training was about 3 months at an approved provider location.

I received a stipend for childcare, and all books and tuition were paid in
full through the WIA program.

They even paid for all (7) of my test vouchers!
I was trying to find this program and can't seem to find where they will help pay for your schooling.

What does WIA stand for? Maybe I'm looking at a different WIA program.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment