U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 06:54 AM

1 posts, read 20,948 times

Advertisements

Please help me if you can. I have been unemployed since June 26, 2009. My benefits will be over on this date. Will I get tier 3, or have I exhusted all my benefits? I live in Virginia. I tried to call unemployment and was put on hold for a hour, I will try again today.
Any help is greatly appreciated!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2010, 01:05 PM

5 posts, read 64,501 times
I have been laid off since May 14 2009 and was sent a notice in the mail that I needed to file a whole new claim as my benefits were ending. I thought I would automatically get an extension like I did in November so I was surprised by this. I file a new claim which I just felt wasnt correct as I was going through the whole schpeal as before when I initially filed.....last day of employment, how many hours were worked that week...etc. A few days later I get a notice in the mail that with my pin number which is the same as before and all general info for UE and how to file etc. I've continued to file online my weekly job contacts all this time and a few days later I get the same paperwork in the mail. About a week later I get a paper saying I was approved for 12 more weeks and how that my benefits run out 5/08/2011 which I think is odd....still I go on and continue my weekly filings. Well I went to check my bank account the 3rd week of May and see that UE put a double payment in on 5/14 and nothing since. This would be the second time they made a mistake so I figured I'd not see a payment till the 28th. I check my account and redid the weeks in my head and realize they actually are in fact behind so I call and as you said get no help...just automated crap and find out that my benefits ended on 5/08 but that there's still money in there and that there's "an ongoing problem with my claim"! WTH???? I located an local office to call and got to speak to someone to see what was going on. I ended up going down there because I wasnt about to wait for them to call me with an answer. As it turns out they tell me the "double payment" on the 14th is what was holding everything up and that they now owe me 3 weeks benefits! They said the deputy's office would need to fix it and called them. I ended up being on hold there at the office until they closed and had to leave with no help.

I call Monday from home and couldnt get through then tried Tuesday and finally after being on hold for 20 minutes find out what's going on and you won't believe this. They told me the double payment isnt the problem and in fact was their mistake from not paying me a previous week but that the issue is that now there is a double dip. There's the new claim and the old claim against the same employer. I informed her that I did a new claim because I was told to and she said "yes you did the right thing but we should've had everyone's who's yearly benefits were ending extend their old claim rather then create a new one so now we're having to go back and cancel everyone's new claim and extend the old" I couldnt believe what I heard. Why in the hell did they do that?? I told her that now I havent been paid for a month and I couldnt pay my bills and what was I to do...when would this be fixed. She said it was going to take time to fix everyone's account and she didnt know when it would be but that I could call to check the status. I said do you know how hard it is to get through to someone?? SHe was silent.

So here I sit now with a month owed to me and no end in sight. But she did tell me that I was on Tier II and that there is a Tier III but the time to file for that ended on May 31 but they may extend it so it's possible you may get it too. I just want to forwarn you what may happen to you and maybe you can possibly catch it before your benefits are screwed up.

Luckily I got a job and will be starting July 12th but I still need the benefits until then. Good luck to you!

Old 06-12-2010, 01:49 PM

6,608 posts, read 6,966,626 times
It sure sounds like some states need to "get with the program". Everyone that ends their first benefit year has to file for a new claim due to the laws/regulations regarding benefits, but in most cases it's pretty straightforward - if you haven't worked since you first filed the new claim is denied and they re-open your original claim.

That said, I end my first benefit year this week and received a letter telling me I would have to call them after that date, so we'll see how my state handles it.

Old 06-14-2010, 02:01 PM

I agree...VA is pretty messed up. As of today still no letter from them saying they canceled the new and extended the old. It's now going on 5 weeks

Old 06-14-2010, 02:12 PM
Status: "Still Contracted, 4 Years and counting." (set 1 day ago)

1,828 posts, read 2,937,411 times
I would be calling them if it has been that long, When I did this process in Michigan I was up and running within a week. I did have to call them after reapplying but after that it was back to normal.

Old 06-14-2010, 09:59 PM

I am calling them tomorrow when I get home from training at the new job. Oddly though I mentioned it to the UE rep that I talked to on the phone and she was well aware it was way behind but that I'd get all the money once they straightened it out. I agree it's far too long now and something needs to be straightened out. The thing is I thought the double payment was for a week I hadnt gotten yet...their mistake so I thought they were only one week behind at that point. When I checked again the next day and refigured everything I found out they were 10 days behind and I started calling and visited the local UE Office....but on that day I also filed my weekly. Then that took me to the following week which is when I finally got to someone in the main UE office in Richmond and found out the real problem. I filed yet another weekly and tomorrow I"ll file another which then brings it to 5 weeks without pay if nothing is done this week.

Old 07-24-2010, 04:34 PM

1 posts, read 20,453 times
Yes Virginia unemployment is very confusing I havent had any unemployment compensation since last Nov I got laid off at no fault of my own I am having a hard time finding a job so I have no money coming in and now the idiots tell me that under the new extention they just passed since I havnt worked for 30 days I dont qualify I say thats bs other states are doing the extention and even retro payments I even have funds available in my account still almost 2000 this to me sounds like they are abusing people who are unemployed I plan to file a discrimination lawsuit this is unfair practice just because they are a commonwealth they think they can get away with this type of treatment to the people unemployed in Virginia and havnt worked for 30 days this is unacceptable. We need our Virginia Senator to do something about this 30 day excuse they give us not to pay us.

Old 07-29-2010, 12:29 AM

1 posts, read 20,157 times
Ladybugg- Yes you will receive tier III. It gets a little confusing when you hit your 1 year anniversary date because they make you reapply for some stupid reason. It goes something like this...You have to reapply, get denied for regular benefits because you hit your year anniversary and then emergency benefits kicks back in. It's the most ridiculous thing I know. As long as you are still unemployed, you get tiers I, II & III but no matter what tier you are on, you must use them before the new November cutoff. Oh, and there is no tier 4 in Virginia because the unemployment rate here is not 8.5 or above. I hope this helps you and anyone else. I know it's been so stressful for me just trying to understand the system.

Kym

Old 07-29-2010, 03:03 PM

6,608 posts, read 6,966,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kymmy7777 View Post
Ladybugg- Yes you will receive tier III. It gets a little confusing when you hit your 1 year anniversary date because they make you reapply for some stupid reason. It goes something like this...You have to reapply, get denied for regular benefits because you hit your year anniversary and then emergency benefits kicks back in. It's the most ridiculous thing I know. As long as you are still unemployed, you get tiers I, II & III but no matter what tier you are on, you must use them before the new November cutoff. Oh, and there is no tier 4 in Virginia because the unemployment rate here is not 8.5 or above. I hope this helps you and anyone else. I know it's been so stressful for me just trying to understand the system.

Kym
It may be confusing but it's not "ridiculous" - There IS a valid reason why they make you file for a new claim at the end of your first benefit year. These aren't "normal" times where most people would not be on UE for over a year.

They have to verify that you are not entitled to any state UE benefits before you can receive further EUC (federal) benefits. Also it may be that some people HAVE worked and earned enough during their first benefit year to qualify for a new claim.

Old 08-05-2010, 11:15 AM

1 posts, read 19,725 times
I have been unemployed since Nov 2009, checks started coming in December and ended after 25 weeks. I have been filing my claims online until today. They sent me a new form on Tuesday, August 3rd...I guess to verify all information and move me to Tier I. It's radiciolous....when I called they told me I have to wait another 2 weekes before claim will be processed (it was almost 2 weeks before they sent the claim!)....that's about the time when I will get one lump payment and my Tier I (I guess 13 weeks in VA) will run out....Lots of other states received their checks already...It's unacceptable....Hey, I have a master degree, 7+ years of experience, anybody wants to hire me? Just give us some jobs and we won't have to worry about the shame of being unemployed and drawing benefits when we are ready, able and capable to work!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment