U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-14-2010, 01:46 PM

162 posts, read 192,981 times
Default no EB available in NJ?

Okay nothing has changed on NJDOL website that says EB is no longer offered due to the sunset dates for the 100% EUC and EB funding. However a member on another forum is reporting that a NJ Unemployment Rep has told him/her that obviously all tiers are expired and EB as well? Sounds like bad info to me? Can anyone else elaborate on this?
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2010, 01:48 PM

1,828 posts, read 2,862,597 times
I have seen here posted several times that NJ EB does not require the passage of 4213 so it should still be there.

Old 06-14-2010, 01:50 PM

162 posts, read 192,981 times
yeah, njdol's website says:

Currently, there is no expiration date for EB benefits. If an individual exhausts EUC benefits after May 29, 2010, they may be eligible for EB benefits.

Old 06-14-2010, 01:55 PM

6,608 posts, read 6,734,333 times
Some of these reps need to be let go and the job given to someone who can actually follow what is going on.

Just my .02

Old 06-14-2010, 02:56 PM

296 posts, read 305,881 times
Looks like the majority of the states have "ended" their EB either the week of June 5th or June 12th....I wonder if NJ will be following suit shortly??? I hope not!!!

Old 06-14-2010, 05:01 PM

73 posts, read 136,153 times
This is from NELP:
"If your state permanently participates in the EB program, and you are currently receiving EBs, you will also continue to receive those. The states with a permanent EB trigger are: AK, CT, KS, MN, NH, NJ, NM, NC, OR, RI, VT and WA." In other words, EB in NJ has NOT expired!

Old 06-14-2010, 05:04 PM

1,828 posts, read 2,862,597 times
Shutz is confused, Its permanent in many states and for the rest the passage of bill 4213 will extend it out for them as well.

Old 06-15-2010, 03:14 PM

3,814 posts, read 7,900,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlukas79 View Post
Okay nothing has changed on NJDOL website that says EB is no longer offered due to the sunset dates for the 100% EUC and EB funding. However a member on another forum is reporting that a NJ Unemployment Rep has told him/her that obviously all tiers are expired and EB as well? Sounds like bad info to me? Can anyone else elaborate on this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlukas79 View Post
yeah, njdol's website says:

Currently, there is no expiration date for EB benefits. If an individual exhausts EUC benefits after May 29, 2010, they may be eligible for EB benefits.
The report you mention from another site is incorrect.

If you read the full description of EB on the NJ DOL website, it says:

"Extended Benefits (EB) is an unemployment insurance extension program that is 50% funded by New Jersey and 50% funded by the federal government." and

"Effective February 2009, as part of the stimulus bill, the federal government is funding 100% of EB benefits. This expires June 2, 2010."

This means that when the 100% federal funding expires, the funding reverts to 50% state/50% federal.
Department of Labor and Workforce Development | Unemployment Benefit Extensions

The expiration of 100% federal funding of EB has no effect on the availability of EB in New Jersey. The only triggers for EB in New Jersey are the three-month average unemployment rates: 6% unemployment triggers EB, and 8% triggers high EB (for a total of 20 weeks). As long as the triggers are met, New Jersey state law requires that EB be paid.

To make the availability of EB in NJ dependent on 100% federal funding, the State Legislature must change the state law. NJ Governor Chris Christie has proposed this, but at this time he has insufficient support in the Legislature to enact such a change.

Old 06-15-2010, 05:35 PM

40 posts, read 33,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diorgirl View Post
The report you mention from another site is incorrect.

If you read the full description of EB on the NJ DOL website, it says:

"Extended Benefits (EB) is an unemployment insurance extension program that is 50% funded by New Jersey and 50% funded by the federal government." and

"Effective February 2009, as part of the stimulus bill, the federal government is funding 100% of EB benefits. This expires June 2, 2010."

This means that when the 100% federal funding expires, the funding reverts to 50% state/50% federal.
Department of Labor and Workforce Development | Unemployment Benefit Extensions

The expiration of 100% federal funding of EB has no effect on the availability of EB in New Jersey. The only triggers for EB in New Jersey are the three-month average unemployment rates: 6% unemployment triggers EB, and 8% triggers high EB (for a total of 20 weeks). As long as the triggers are met, New Jersey state law requires that EB be paid.

To make the availability of EB in NJ dependent on 100% federal funding, the State Legislature must change the state law. NJ Governor Chris Christie has proposed this, but at this time he has insufficient support in the Legislature to enact such a change.
What is the EB status in Indiana? I was under the impression it would continue but after reading the website im confused?

Old 06-17-2010, 10:51 AM

308 posts, read 343,714 times
My original claim expired on 6/5/2010. I received a notice to claimant of EUC eligibility with an EUC date of claim for 6/6/2010. The notice goes on to say that to certify for the EUC benefits, that I must file on 6/23/2010. I dont know why I received this notice since I thought that the date to qualify for the EUC tiers had expired at the end of May and my original claim wasnt exhausted until 6/5/2010. I thought I would begin to collect EB. I dont know when and if bill HR 4213 will ever be passed to extend the cut off dates for EUC. What do I do in the meantime? When will I begin to collect EB as HR 4213 is in limbo? By the way I'm in NJ. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment