U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 04:03 PM

6,608 posts, read 6,629,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calilady View Post
I volunteered for special olympics for 2 days 60 miles from where I lived. Got those days taken off my 44 dollars a week U/I.
Exactly - but it seems the OP wants to get "permission" to travel to volunteer while STILL claiming UI benefits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2011, 05:56 PM

9 posts, read 71,529 times
Here is the scenario:

You are a certified English teacher to teach abroad and have done it in the past. You were then working odd jobs and construction in NY until being laid off. You then fill for UI and collect benefits. You travel and seek work outside of the U.S. through various teaching job interviews, online inquiries, and resume submissions. You travel to a few different countries while seeking employment for a teaching position all the while collecting UI. If the construction company had emailed or contacted you to return to work, you would have. After many attempts at interviewing with foreign country schools, you return back to NY still collecting UI. Apply for more jobs and still no luck. Take on a seasonal position that you worked at during college that employed you for 3 months. After the job was finished, collected benefits again. After months, you want to try teaching English again outside the country and set up interviews. You leave to go on these interviews while collecting UI. The unemployment office has recently sent a letter stating that they have been aware that a you are have certified for benefits while out of the country.

Would I be able to retain the benefits collected? On the grounds of I was looking for work in my field (teaching English over seas).

Any and all help in this matter would be appreciated.

Last edited by alfa17; 04-20-2011 at 06:06 PM..

Old 04-20-2011, 10:38 PM

210 posts, read 33,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfa17 View Post
Here is the scenario:

You are a certified English teacher to teach abroad and have done it in the past. You were then working odd jobs and construction in NY until being laid off. You then fill for UI and collect benefits. You travel and seek work outside of the U.S. through various teaching job interviews, online inquiries, and resume submissions. You travel to a few different countries while seeking employment for a teaching position all the while collecting UI. If the construction company had emailed or contacted you to return to work, you would have. After many attempts at interviewing with foreign country schools, you return back to NY still collecting UI. Apply for more jobs and still no luck. Take on a seasonal position that you worked at during college that employed you for 3 months. After the job was finished, collected benefits again. After months, you want to try teaching English again outside the country and set up interviews. You leave to go on these interviews while collecting UI. The unemployment office has recently sent a letter stating that they have been aware that a you are have certified for benefits while out of the country.

Would I be able to retain the benefits collected? On the grounds of I was looking for work in my field (teaching English over seas).

just dont Tell them youre leaving

Old 04-21-2011, 01:31 AM

3,814 posts, read 7,827,034 times
Quote:
Here is the scenario:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WALTERWALTER View Post
just dont Tell them youre leaving
Probably the worst thing you can do at this stage is to leave the country again without contacting UI while your claim is being reviewed.

As for moving forward -- you need to be able to convincingly prove that you met the basic requirements for unemployment while you were outside the country: (1) that you were actively seeking work; (2) that you were willing and able to accept full-time work if offered to you.

#1 means that you need to be able to provide a log that documents your job search efforts -- not only outside of the USA, but hopefully back home as well. Did you respond to any internet postings for jobs in the US during this period? Were you offered any interviews, etc.? Did you seek jobs in your most recent area of employment -- or did you limit searches to a specific field that in turn could limit your employment opportunities? All of these issues will be taken into account in determining whether you indeed continued to qualify for unemployment while you were out of the country.

#2 means that you were able to return for an interview or a job in the US whenever it was offered. Did you have an open-ended return ticket? How were you going to finance a quick trip back to the US? Did you turn down any interviews in the US because of travel commitments?

Whether or not you get to keep the benefits you were paid will depend on your ability to convince UI that you were actively looking for work and ready to return to the US anytime if necessary for interviews.

Your main hurdle will probably be the fact that you are not looking for employment in the industry in which you most recently worked. That sort of selectivity in a job search -- particularly one that would take you out of the country -- is not usually smiled upon by UI departments in the US.

Good luck!

Old 04-21-2011, 03:34 AM

Default Collecting while abraod looking for work

Thank you for your quick reply. What is your experience or expertise with this matter?

I had filled out my NYS dept of labor hand book with all the people I contacted overseas to find a job teaching. What would be a convincing amount of job inquiries for the UI investigation board?

I believe I do have a case here in proving that I was seeking teaching jobs. And being a TESOL job was my longest employment (1 year total) since graduation of college in 2006 make that my longest employment thus "my field". The painting/construction was only for 2-3 months, then laid off.

I spoke with a tel claims representative yesterday on the phone from abroad and she had informed that by benefits were being reviewed becuase of claiming outside the US, only allowed to claim in US, Canada, and Puerto Rico. I replied I was unaware of this information. she asked me where I was calling from and stated my country abroad. She asked what I was doing here, and I replied, here for a job interview. She then asked me about a date that I worked one day for a promotional marketing team, one day gig and informed her I was let go do to lack of work. She also asked her my return date was, and gave her the date, May 22nd.

I also noticed a new format on the website and a new bullet added in on the log in page to certify benefits. The new bullet reads, You may not be eligible to claim benefits outside the United States...
If you travel to a foreign country (except Canada), you should not claim benefits while you are in the foreign country. Call the Telephone Claim Center before your trip to find out if you can protect your benefit rights while you're away.

Teaching abroad was the only job I could see working with my training and the current economic condition. Every where I looked it just seemed like everyone was laying off people, not hiring, or scamming you. Even jobs abroad were flooded after the economic crisis in America. I would hope to think if anything, government officials should applaud my efforts for being pro active and seeking work outside our boarders. There are plenty of people who just couched it collected benefits kicked back and watched the TV to maintain status quo. I used these benefits to benefit myself for the ever growing globalization of our economy. It seems un-american and against civil rights to say where you can and can not look for work.

Have you met or can you direct me to someone that has a similar situation?

Old 04-21-2011, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Thank you for your quick reply. What is your experience or expertise with this matter?

I had filled out my NYS dept of labor hand book with all the people I contacted overseas to find a job teaching. What would be a convincing amount of job inquiries for the UI investigation board?

I believe I do have a case here in proving that I was seeking teaching jobs. And being a TESOL job was my longest employment (1 year total) since graduation of college in 2006 make that my longest employment thus "my field". The painting/construction was only for 2-3 months, then laid off.

I spoke with a tel claims representative yesterday on the phone from abroad and she had informed that by benefits were being reviewed becuase of claiming outside the US, only allowed to claim in US, Canada, and Puerto Rico. I replied I was unaware of this information. she asked me where I was calling from and stated my country abroad. She asked what I was doing here, and I replied, here for a job interview. She then asked me about a date that I worked one day for a promotional marketing team, one day gig and informed her I was let go do to lack of work. She also asked her my return date was, and gave her the date, May 22nd.

I also noticed a new format on the website and a new bullet added in on the log in page to certify benefits. The new bullet reads, You may not be eligible to claim benefits outside the United States...
If you travel to a foreign country (except Canada), you should not claim benefits while you are in the foreign country. Call the Telephone Claim Center before your trip to find out if you can protect your benefit rights while you're away.

Teaching abroad was the only job I could see working with my training and the current economic condition. Every where I looked it just seemed like everyone was laying off people, not hiring, or scamming you. Even jobs abroad were flooded after the economic crisis in America. I would hope to think if anything, government officials should applaud my efforts for being pro active and seeking work outside our boarders. There are plenty of people who just couched it collected benefits kicked back and watched the TV to maintain status quo. I used these benefits to benefit myself for the ever growing globalization of our economy. It seems un-american and against civil rights to say where you can and can not look for work.

Have you met or can you direct me to someone that has a similar situation?
You are free to look for work anywhere you like -- the restriction is on claiming unemployment benefits while "globe-trotting."

Because so many have abused the UI system and used periods of unemployment as "paid vacation," numerous states are cracking down on the practice because it is so difficult to monitor accurately. Unfortunately, those who are legitimately seeking work overseas are getting caught in the recent tightening of requirements and new restrictions.

I have two colleagues in NYC who were interpreters for lengthy periods -- one corporate (17 years' experience), the other with one of the UN foundations (9 years' experience). Both were laid off, both sought jobs overseas -- as interpreters, of course. Both were told that their unemployment benefits would be suspended during periods when they might leave the country to look for work. Even with their lengthy careers in interpreting, they were told that they could not restrict their work searches -- and should also be seeking work in related fields.

BTW, your work on the promotional marketing job demonstrates your willingness to do work in a field other than teaching English in foreign countries -- and promotional marketing is a field that could offer similar opportunities in the US. I'm not passing judgment -- I am simply pointing out the things that can send up "red flags" for unemployment agents examining your claim n New York.

Perhaps someone reading this thread can supply you with their firsthand experience in a similar situation dealing with New York State's UI.

Last edited by diorgirl; 04-21-2011 at 05:52 AM..

Old 04-21-2011, 02:38 PM

186 posts, read 202,500 times
if you try to claim outside the country, they will stop your benefits. it happened to one member in this forum. i guess they find out from the telephone call or the ip address used to claim benefits

Old 04-21-2011, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WALTERWALTER View Post
In fairness, How Would UI Know That this gentleman is abroad? Perhaps from his Debit Card withdrawals (if they have access to that information). Otherwise, he can continue to apply for 3 US jobs A Week online, from wherever he is. Especially if he is returning Soon, too much information isn't Always the right thing..just playing devil's advocate
As devil's advocate, you might want to read his entire post. In this case, his one-day assignment flagged his location...
Quote:

Old 04-21-2011, 07:26 PM

Default NY UI Abroad

There is an investigation going on, 3-6 weeks to get back to me. I am interested to know anyone that has gone through the same process? And can give me some advice on protecting my already claimed benefits. In the event that they do ask for repayment of benefits in NY, and I do lose in the appeal process. How does repayment work, I am not in any financial position to pay back all of the benefits. Would I just pay back for the time out of the country? Or would I have to pay back everything? Can I have a payment plan? would there be interest?

I just would like to be prepared for the worst. Those that can provide first hand stories, much appreciated.

Thank you for everyone's feedback thus far and more information would be great. Thanks

Old 04-21-2011, 07:29 PM

I noticed a new format on the website and a new bullet added in on the log in page to certify benefits. The new bullet reads, You may not be eligible to claim benefits outside the United States...

Any and all comments on this new bullet on the log in page of NYS Dept of Labor
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment