U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-16-2010, 12:36 PM

166 posts, read 385,523 times
Default Company taking forever to respond to claim.

DH got termed April 30, filed for unemployment May 2. Unemployment list his claim paperwork several times. Finally got things in order, and sent it to the company. It has been four weeks and the company has still not responded. DH called HR, and was told the paperwork was with corporate. My question is - how long can they stall? And what ARE they doing for so long? I dont have a lot of faith in this company - unethical practices, no strong HR to make sure rules are being followed and it is maddening that they are taking things so casually while we are struggling to pay our bills.

B.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2010, 12:41 PM

61 posts, read 110,620 times
Im in Ca and when I worked at my company, we had 10 days to respond to somone filing for UI. It stated as such on the form in BOLD writing. If we did not respond, it was like not showing up to court. If the employer does not respond , at least in CA. then they are not arguing against a claim.

Old 06-16-2010, 12:42 PM

4,919 posts, read 9,264,583 times
Call the UE office and ask them how long does company have by law to respond. each states has their own timeline for a company to respond. If they don't respond, ask the UE office what is the state rules if that happens. You can also check your state's UE website for a link tot he actual rules. Most times if they just don't respond (not the response was lost or misdirected) the claim is in your favor and they give up their chance to contest it.

Old 06-16-2010, 12:46 PM

3,394 posts, read 2,363,185 times
When I was unemployed, I never filed paperwork with the company, it was always through the Employment Office. The company is only supposed to respond to the Employment Office. I don't know what papers your husband filed with the company.

Old 06-16-2010, 03:16 PM

166 posts, read 385,523 times
My husband did not file papers with the company. He filed with the unemployment office, and then, they forwarded it to the company. And that was the last we heard from them. He called the unemployment office last week and was told they were waiting to hear back from the company. He called the company's HR, and was told corporate had it, and that they have not heard back. I will keep everyone posted. DH will be calling the unemployment office tomorrow.

Thanks for your replies,

B

Old 06-16-2010, 04:05 PM

6,608 posts, read 6,361,610 times
My understanding is the same as Sno's - the company only has to respond if they are disputing the UI claim. I don't understand why your UE office is "waiting to hear from the company".

Old 06-16-2010, 05:46 PM

61 posts, read 110,620 times
Yeah to me something is not making sense here.

Old 06-16-2010, 05:50 PM

6,608 posts, read 6,361,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbeth01 View Post
DH got termed April 30, filed for unemployment May 2. Unemployment list his claim paperwork several times. Finally got things in order, and sent it to the company. It has been four weeks and the company has still not responded. DH called HR, and was told the paperwork was with corporate. My question is - how long can they stall? And what ARE they doing for so long? I dont have a lot of faith in this company - unethical practices, no strong HR to make sure rules are being followed and it is maddening that they are taking things so casually while we are struggling to pay our bills.

B.
I assume you mean 'lost', and frankly that's slightly unbelievable - once and had to resubmit MAYBE, but several times? Nah
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment