Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2010, 09:25 AM

640 posts, read 1,983,538 times

Advertisements

There are many websites and organizations to go to. If you are looking at the real possibility of this, here is one website to check out.

Homeless Forums - Powered by vBulletin

There are threads that speak about how to get assistance re: food, tent cities where people haven't yet been kicked out of, etc.

There is also a homeless forum called homeslessworld in the groups.yahoo forums, but I don't want to give the link because there is a picture on the page that is extremely disturbing to see. Only go there if you have a strong stomache.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2010, 09:33 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,165,989 times
It is funny you mention that, because I am a member of that forum (under a different screen name). I have been homeless before and managed to make it. Hopefully, others can too.

Old 06-20-2010, 09:37 AM

117 posts, read 218,174 times
Thank You for this Post & Information!!!!
This is very real for me, at 52 yo & a Degree in Accounting.
As a 99er, I am at this point resigned to waiting for the sheriff to post the notice on my home.

I am copying this post & saving it, Again, Thank YOU!!!!

Old 06-20-2010, 11:37 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,531,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane0218 View Post
There are many websites and organizations to go to. If you are looking at the real possibility of this, here is one website to check out.

Homeless Forums - Powered by vBulletin

There are threads that speak about how to get assistance re: food, tent cities where people haven't yet been kicked out of, etc.

There is also a homeless forum called homeslessworld in the groups.yahoo forums, but I don't want to give the link because there is a picture on the page that is extremely disturbing to see. Only go there if you have a strong stomache.
How do the homeless have computers and internet service?

Old 06-20-2010, 11:41 AM

4,255 posts, read 5,915,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Haven't been in a public library lately?

Old 06-20-2010, 01:33 PM

4,585 posts, read 12,341,739 times
Thanks for this link, I might be needing it real soon

Old 06-20-2010, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtmarabianz View Post
Thank You for this Post & Information!!!!
This is very real for me, at 52 yo & a Degree in Accounting.
As a 99er, I am at this point resigned to waiting for the sheriff to post the notice on my home.

I am copying this post & saving it, Again, Thank YOU!!!!
Your welcome.

There are others sites as well, including one where a young man has been living in his truck for about a year, and he's actually quite happy, believe it or not. The truck has cap on the back of it, and he has a cot, cooking utensils, a small (battery-powered??) TV, radio, all nicely in place. He takes showers where they are outdoors, such as at beaches, or even at apartment complexes--the residents think he's a resident. He moves around, he mentioned that he doesn't stay inthe same place all the time. It's on a wilderness/hiking website, and I don't recall the name of it.

Old 06-20-2010, 02:35 PM

Quote:
They keep their computers, I guess from before they became homeless.

And if you read through the forum there is a thread, I think, on how to get free wireless Internet service. Basically, you roam around until you find a home/business which hasn't encrypted its wireless service, I think.

Old 08-04-2010, 01:19 AM

23,137 posts, read 28,879,737 times
Quote:
Hitler had no access to computers/internet while he was homeless for years in Vienna, and look what a plum job he eventually got?

Old 08-05-2010, 04:39 PM

118 posts, read 533,667 times
I was homeless for about two years once. Like the man Jane described, I lived in my car and can honestly say I didn't mind it all that much in some ways. I still ate pretty well, I took a shower every couple days at the local community college, I was able to spend the night "camping" in a lot of beautiful places around my county, state and nation. There was a freedom and flexibility to it that were very helpful as I was trying to get on my feet.

At the time, I had absolutely no income, so homelessness was about my only option. Now that I'm again out of work, but this time collecting unemployment, I often ask myself why I'm spending the vast majority of my monthly unemployment money just to keep a roof over my head when I know perfectly well that I could be living in my car just like I was before, which would let me save comparatively vast sums of money in case unemployment runs out before I have a job and also allow me to be much more mobile in my job search.

Well, the answer is that even though I'm able to describe my homelessness in a way that physically sounds pretty decent, for me at least it was a mentally and spiritually crushing thing. The instability, loneliness and shame (yeah, I damn well know better than to be ashamed of it, but I still couldn't avoid feeling it at some level--actually, many levels) made just staying sane from day to day, let alone keeping my will set on improving things, the hugest task I've ever faced.

Sometimes there really is no other alternative, in which case you have to embrace it to survive. Make it a choice even if it really wasn't. But unless you're a very resilient person with no susceptibility to depression or other mental breakdowns, I'd definitely advise *EVERY* other conceivable alternative before homelessness, no matter. Because it's always bad if you lose your grip on hope and security, but if it happens when you're homeless...you're plain screwed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment