Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2010, 04:25 AM

4,439 posts, read 6,948,352 times

Advertisements

Hi I have applied for many jobs in the last 6 months and only had 4 job interviews. I have an university degree, but I have had no experience in the fields I wish to enter which is government positions, call centre positions, labouring positions, office work positions. Anyway it does not really matter what you have learned at university and discovered the most important and only important thing is your experience. I have waisted US25 000 dollars in courses and no one willing to employ me. I have rang many places and sent emails. It sucks. I have worked in hospitality but I am so sick of hospitality as only worked in kitchenhand and housekeeping positions and wont do that again. Anyone been to university and still cant get a job, just because you dont have the experience?

Anyway the government says in my city the unemployment rate is quite low, but that is bs. In addition the government has not enough programs for university graduates to provide the resources for employers to hire them.

Last edited by other99; 06-21-2010 at 04:27 AM.. Reason: edit
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2010, 05:30 AM

24,488 posts, read 40,988,056 times
I'll start by saying you are not alone. I can count atleast 15 people I know off the top of my head that recently graduated from good universities and cannot find work. They have settled for other options outside their career. Yes, some jobs like kitchenhand, etc. But that's just the kind of economy we're in right now. I always say, now is the best time to take risks and start your own business.

Right now experience seems to be better to have, but that's not always the case. I have 12 years experience, no 4-year degree. I have an AAS and am eagerly working towards my BS/MS (combined honors program).

So, technically, I'm the opposite as you. I have experience and want the degree. I encourage you to not feel like you just dropped $25k for nothing. It is not holding you from getting a job. The economy is holding you and everyone else back. The best thing is just keep looking for solutions. Don't get dramatic over it.

Old 06-21-2010, 07:56 AM

274 posts, read 995,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by other99 View Post
Hi I have applied for many jobs in the last 6 months and only had 4 job interviews. I have an university degree, but I have had no experience in the fields I wish to enter which is government positions, call centre positions, labouring positions, office work positions. Anyway it does not really matter what you have learned at university and discovered the most important and only important thing is your experience. I have waisted US25 000 dollars in courses and no one willing to employ me. I have rang many places and sent emails. It sucks. I have worked in hospitality but I am so sick of hospitality as only worked in kitchenhand and housekeeping positions and wont do that again. Anyone been to university and still cant get a job, just because you dont have the experience?

Anyway the government says in my city the unemployment rate is quite low, but that is bs. In addition the government has not enough programs for university graduates to provide the resources for employers to hire them.
this time is difficult, but there are ways to get your foot in the door to an opportunity you want. i understand you don't have the experience as you're just a college graduate. depending on what you enjoy doing and what you're interested in, i'm sure you can find resources that can help you.

what degree do you have now? i'd like to believe the broader the degree, the more applications you can use it for in other industries. in this day and age, it's better to have a degree than not. hang in there - i know it's hard, but there are ways to find a good entry level job. have you tried to go on your campus and inquire about any career opportunities? usually, the career center on college campuses usually have a connection with certain companies that want to recruit college grads and grow/develop them.

Old 06-21-2010, 08:01 AM

3,650 posts, read 9,185,688 times
I have the experience AND the degree and have been looking for almost a YEAR and only had 2 interviews (a few more if you count the "pre-screening" of up-front, informal phone interviews). I know others who are similar. We're talking sharp professionals too, not slugs or people with no clue about how to make a resume etc. The economy is very bad and situation dire.

Old 06-21-2010, 09:33 AM

35,309 posts, read 51,996,121 times
Unfortunate that people put all that time, effort and money into their university education then find it impossible to get a job in that field once graduated.
When my kids were in high school and wondering what path to follow in university we explored viable networking potentials once they finished there education,we came to the conclusion the environmental studies would be the way to go as my wifes brother is a bigwig in the salmon fisheries on the west coast and his best friend who grew up with the family is a bigwig in Environment Canada,one of my daughters is in university going for her masters degree in environmental science the other daughter 4 years younger and about to finish high school has the same aspirations..
Networking can cut out a lot of disappointments once your education is over and its time to look for a job.

Old 06-21-2010, 11:15 AM

577 posts, read 1,754,672 times
Yea I have 20 years of experience and a degree and have been looking for 6 months also. I've had 1 interview.. also looking in the same areas as you are. There just isnt much out there and what is, has hundreds of qualified applicants.

Old 06-21-2010, 08:50 PM

4,439 posts, read 6,948,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutt Roh View Post
this time is difficult, but there are ways to get your foot in the door to an opportunity you want. i understand you don't have the experience as you're just a college graduate. depending on what you enjoy doing and what you're interested in, i'm sure you can find resources that can help you.

what degree do you have now? i'd like to believe the broader the degree, the more applications you can use it for in other industries. in this day and age, it's better to have a degree than not. hang in there - i know it's hard, but there are ways to find a good entry level job. have you tried to go on your campus and inquire about any career opportunities? usually, the career center on college campuses usually have a connection with certain companies that want to recruit college grads and grow/develop them.
Thanks for your replies. Well I have a BA in History and Politics and a Social Science degree. Anyway I thinking of doing a masters as yet to get one out of the social science degree. In the meantime I will have to to keep looking for work and not give up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment