Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2010, 08:33 AM

25 posts, read 40,750 times

Advertisements

Meeting was held yesterday to decide whether to wait for Congress or go ahead and process EB claims. Was told to call back Friday and they would know which direction NJ is going in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2010, 08:36 AM

600 posts, read 1,074,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ix3623 View Post
to get my college degrees, it cost me 80 grand. it should allow me the opportunity of opening the field to get more jobs. pretentious? i have a house and i have a family. i've lived here for years..now i have to get a job that people even without a high school degree can get? why should i not be mad? i'm not trashing people without degrees, but it's not fair that when people say you have to go to college to get a good job, i did, and it was meaningless. and it has nothing to do with people without degrees not working as hard, but going to college was a sacrifice i took to make more money by spending money. i should be able to make more. taxes for my home went up 800 dollars this year. an all time high. i'm pretty sure you said that because you don't have a degree..but what i say is the truth
Actually, I have an MBA.

And I said it because it came across as if you feel you are entitled to have a better job, simply because you have a degree. You aren't.

You think you're the only one with a degree who has to find a job that "anyone without a degree" can get? At this point, I'd be happy if McDonalds would hire me. There's nothing wrong with an honest days work. I suggest putting those feelings aside and take whatever you can get. The notion that "I have a degree, so I deserve better" is nice, but in this economy, that's a pipe dream.

Old 06-24-2010, 08:42 AM

107 posts, read 159,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentals View Post
ix3623 I hear you and I feel for you, I'm a scientist that worked for 33yrs for the same company, they forced me out I have 10 patents with the co.

How do you think I feel? I'm sure I'm allot older than you and I have send out 100's of CV's not one reply does that make sense NO but look at the bright side your younger things we change they always do, you have time to use your degree I know it does not help right now and it sucks but in my position every month that goes by I get that much older and less likely to get the same type of job I had for all those years.

Try to relax as best you can I try not to dwell on it because it will only get you down even more. I KNOW YOU WILL GET THROUGH THIS WE ALL WILL. IT WILL TAKE TIME BUT HAVE FAITH IN YOUR SELF.

thanks for the inspiration. i know i shoudn't worry because it won't change anything, but it's hard not to. i've been saving when i can so i'll be ok for a while . it'll be hard just going on my wife's salary until i find a job and we have a child on the way ..she'll have to be out of work for a while after the baby and she'll only get 3/4 i think of her paycheck while she's out of work on maternaty leave. i'm just worried. i'm 32 now..i worked as a therapist..made good money..but i was laid off like you. they shut down our entire department because the state stopped funding them because the state had no more money to. i just want to work at a job that pays decent and enough for me to pay my bills. just hard to think about not having money coming in when i've applied to jobs for a year and nothing..how am i supposed to be confident in my job search in the future?

Old 06-24-2010, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpmlnj View Post
Meeting was held yesterday to decide whether to wait for Congress or go ahead and process EB claims. Was told to call back Friday and they would know which direction NJ is going in.
thanks for that info

Old 06-24-2010, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrox311 View Post
Actually, I have an MBA.

And I said it because it came across as if you feel you are entitled to have a better job, simply because you have a degree. You aren't.

You think you're the only one with a degree who has to find a job that "anyone without a degree" can get? At this point, I'd be happy if McDonalds would hire me. There's nothing wrong with an honest days work. I suggest putting those feelings aside and take whatever you can get. The notion that "I have a degree, so I deserve better" is nice, but in this economy, that's a pipe dream.

if you really had an mba, i seriously doubt you'd work at mcdonald's. i'm sorry but i don't believe your story. you are aware that most people that have families and work at mcdonald's are on welfare or some kind of goverment assistance right? it doesn't pay enough for anyone to make a living. it's why most of the people that work there are teenagers or very young

Old 06-24-2010, 08:56 AM

194 posts, read 314,338 times
I wonder if they will send out letters to all of us who are waiting on EB?

I sure don't want to wait until July 7th like they told me to? But if I know UI they won't get off there butts they will just wait for people to call in when they said to.

The EB would be great right now because then if gives them time to work out their issues then if they do get a bill they will switch us to tier IV then back to EB we just have to start tier IV before end of NOV?

I hope that they do change the way they are doing it now it makes no sense.

Old 06-24-2010, 08:59 AM

269 posts, read 710,608 times
Quote:
if you really had an mba, i seriously doubt you'd work at mcdonald's. i'm sorry but i don't believe your story. you are aware that most people that have families and work at mcdonald's are on welfare or some kind of goverment assistance right? it doesn't pay enough for anyone to make a living. it's why most of the people that work there are teenagers or very young
I can't believe I'm about to say this...I agree with Shamrox. You are coming across as pretentious. There are many of us who ae unemployed and college educated. You take what you can get. It's not society's job to stroke your ego by extending you benefits because you find certain jobs demeaning. People like you need to perform mandatory community service mopping up (deleted) in a nursing home. Count your blessings.

Old 06-24-2010, 08:59 AM

194 posts, read 314,338 times
Quote:
ix3623 That is not a great way to discribe anyone who works at Mickey D's or any other fast food place. Think before you make these kinds of comments it does not come off well at all!

Old 06-24-2010, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentals View Post
I wonder if they will send out letters to all of us who are waiting on EB?

I sure don't want to wait until July 7th like they told me to? But if I know UI they won't get off there butts they will just wait for people to call in when they said to.

The EB would be great right now because then if gives them time to work out their issues then if they do get a bill they will switch us to tier IV then back to EB we just have to start tier IV before end of NOV?

I hope that they do change the way they are doing it now it makes no sense.

i agree..i can say one thing, i will never vote for a republican again. they really don't care about anybody unless they're in that situation or someone they know is and they can relate to it. most of them have always been rich and think we're just being lazy even though there are no jobs. in the long run this country will be worse than it already is. if no one has money no one will be able to pay taxes or banks for loans, etc...and the government will have to spend money bailing the banks out, etc. not to mention this country will be in shambles. this country consists of poorer and poorer people by the day

Old 06-24-2010, 09:04 AM

600 posts, read 1,074,110 times
Quote:
Whether you believe my "story" or not, I really don't care.

I worked in Regulatory Compliance for 15 years. I was laid off 2 years ago. I had a family and a home. I lost it all.

Your posts tell me that you're fairly young and probably don't have much experience in the real world. I'd say that if you really are a "family man", you take what you can get in regards to work.

By the way, if you have multiple degrees, then you spent more than $ 80k on your education.....or you have online degrees from a less than reputable university. Based on your responses, I'd say it's the latter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment