Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2010, 11:31 AM

616 posts, read 1,743,307 times

Advertisements

Those of us looking into the dark hole of no extended unemployment benefits, even though we actively seek work, should spend some time contacting our representatives and faxing likely Republicans such as Olympia Snow and Susan Collins. Also, Democrat Ben Nelson voted against the bill, and Dem. Robert Byrd of West Virginia did not vote, so they both deserve a fax.

Relate what will happen when you have no cash coming in at all. Remind them to multiply the economic drain on our teetering economy (an economy 70% supported by consumer spending) by the millions. Remind them you are a voter and have a long memory.

Fax them your note and copies of your bills - I explained that obviously they had a plan to pay my bills since they voted against unemployment extensions so of course they need a copy of my bills! Fax them a copy of your work search records!

Use the links on your representatives web site to communicate with them - everyone else should be faxed (snail mail has to be inspected, etc. and can take a looong time to end up in their offices). There are free fax services on the web - I know I can't afford to pay for a lot of faxes but if I can find low cost faxing then I will use that also.

Here are links to two articles that explain quite well why the government needs to spend money during an extreme downturn, and why it will hurt the economy to not extend unemployment benefits:

Paul Krugman - The New York Times

Op-Ed Columnist - That ’30s Feeling - NYTimes.com

You could quote a bit from the articles if you feel it would be more eloquent.

To find out who is your Senator, look here:
U.S. Senate: Senators Home

To locate contact info for your Congressperson, look here:
United States House of Representatives, 111th Congress, 2nd Session

Pass this idea along, there is strength in numbers! It doesn't take much of our time to do this, and who knows? It might make a difference!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2010, 12:34 PM

So now I understand that Republican Olympia Snow has sent a letter to Reid urging him to put forward a bill for extending unemployment benefits only - not one of his huge let's roll everything in here together bills.

SO - he needs to get a fax telling him to do it! And I'm gonna fax Snow and thank her. And tell her to stick with it!

Old 06-27-2010, 01:23 PM

11,243 posts, read 18,725,405 times
Before you do this find blogs like this link and forward them as well:

2010 Unemployment Extension - A Breakdown of How Benefits End | Business & Finance News (http://business-and-finance-1357.blogspot.com/2010/06/2010-unemployment-extension-breakdown.html - broken link)

Two interesting things in the "comments" section that it should be noted to all of these Senators, etc.:

1) While a small minority, there is a significant number of desparate people calling for violence.

2) More significant in the comments is the number of "lifelong Republicans" disgusted with this and becoming Democrats.

Maybe #2 especially will ring a bell with some in our dysfunctional Congress.

Old 06-27-2010, 01:28 PM

Great link 7 Wishes!

I wish you well. Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
Before you do this find blogs like this link and forward them as well:

2010 Unemployment Extension - A Breakdown of How Benefits End | Business & Finance News (http://business-and-finance-1357.blogspot.com/2010/06/2010-unemployment-extension-breakdown.html - broken link)

Two interesting things in the "comments" section that it should be noted to all of these Senators, etc.:

1) While a small minority, there is a significant number of desparate people calling for violence.

2) More significant in the comments is the number of "lifelong Republicans" disgusted with this and becoming Democrats.

Maybe #2 especially will ring a bell with some in our dysfunctional Congress.

Old 06-27-2010, 01:50 PM

1,228 posts, read 3,708,848 times
Quote:
I searched the term lifelong Republican on that page and guess how many times it appeared?

Zero. As a matter of fact I only read one comment that mentioned switching parties.

A little dishonest, no?

Old 06-27-2010, 02:04 PM

656 posts, read 1,134,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abcornwell View Post
Those of us looking into the dark hole of no extended unemployment benefits, even though we actively seek work, should spend some time contacting our representatives and faxing likely Republicans such as Olympia Snow and Susan Collins. Also, Democrat Ben Nelson voted against the bill, and Dem. Robert Byrd of West Virginia did not vote, so they both deserve a fax.

Relate what will happen when you have no cash coming in at all. Remind them to multiply the economic drain on our teetering economy (an economy 70% supported by consumer spending) by the millions. Remind them you are a voter and have a long memory.

Fax them your note and copies of your bills - I explained that obviously they had a plan to pay my bills since they voted against unemployment extensions so of course they need a copy of my bills! Fax them a copy of your work search records!

Use the links on your representatives web site to communicate with them - everyone else should be faxed (snail mail has to be inspected, etc. and can take a looong time to end up in their offices). There are free fax services on the web - I know I can't afford to pay for a lot of faxes but if I can find low cost faxing then I will use that also.

Here are links to two articles that explain quite well why the government needs to spend money during an extreme downturn, and why it will hurt the economy to not extend unemployment benefits:

Paul Krugman - The New York Times

Op-Ed Columnist - That ’30s Feeling - NYTimes.com

You could quote a bit from the articles if you feel it would be more eloquent.

To find out who is your Senator, look here:
U.S. Senate: Senators Home

To locate contact info for your Congressperson, look here:
United States House of Representatives, 111th Congress, 2nd Session

Pass this idea along, there is strength in numbers! It doesn't take much of our time to do this, and who knows? It might make a difference!
Consider it done!
Thank Goodness I still have my fax running, well at least it and my comp. til July 27th (bill due date)
I'm starting on it right now and also sending this message to
many~ many other's who I know will join in!
Thanks for the links ect...

(KC)

Old 06-27-2010, 02:12 PM

You rock, KC!!

Oh - by the way - just saw the Senator Byrd (Dem. WV) is quite ill. He's 92! That's why he didn't vote, he has been out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC~Carolina View Post
Consider it done!
Thank Goodness I still have my fax running, well at least it and my comp. til July 27th (bill due date)
I'm starting on it right now and also sending this message to
many~ many other's who I know will join in!
Thanks for the links ect...

(KC)

Last edited by abcornwell; 06-27-2010 at 02:20 PM.. Reason: Update on Byrd

Old 06-27-2010, 02:22 PM

377 posts, read 587,529 times
There are a lot of republicans upset and also a lot of democrats upset at Reid for pulling the bill from the floor when it was only short 3 votes.

Old 06-27-2010, 02:26 PM

11,243 posts, read 18,725,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abcornwell View Post
Great link 7 Wishes!

I wish you well. Thank you.
And you as well.

I actually have my first major interview in a long time tomorrow. It's at an IB magnet elementary school that is expanding to K-8 this fall so they have some openings (I went into a "career change into teaching" program last summer (former careers (yes, careers!) were in IT/network admin and in market research analysis) and got a CT license to teach middle school math.....ironically I had a temp job 3 days/week as a high school resource room teacher for the 2nd half of this school year (in math.....because they were remedial and it was a temporary job through a federal program I qualified to do it with a middle school certificate)).

It's sort of a "2nd interview" (I subbed there and somehow turned it into an impromptu interview at the end of my subbing day), so I'm really hopeful!

Old 06-27-2010, 02:28 PM

377 posts, read 587,529 times
Good Luck on your interview 7 Wishes!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment