U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2010, 08:40 AM

143 posts, read 213,899 times

Advertisements

Well so far all the democrats are pleading to pass it.
Rate this post positively

Old 07-20-2010, 08:54 AM

1,828 posts, read 4,447,970 times
Well it looks as if the only thing they are voting on from HR 4213 is the UI as they did just before recess.(For the most part, There were a few extras in it but none as substantial as the UI)
(If anything this tells us you can not take the senate calenders links to full texts of the bills as what is actually getting voted on)

Extending unemployment benefits for 2,600,000: Senate vote on H.R. 4213 expected Tuesday

According to an aide for Senator Harry Reid:
Yes, we will have a vote today on cloture on the unemployment insurance extension today at 2:30 pm. We will reconsider the vote that we took prior to recess on HR4213. That bill contained both an extension on unemployment insurance and a homebuyer tax credit closing transaction date extension.
We ended up passing the homebuyer credit part separately, so today’s vote will just be an extension of unemployment insurance through November. Should we get cloture today, we hope to have a vote on final passage today as well. That will take an agreement by Republicans to allow us to do so. If they do not, we would have to wait 30 hours before a vote on final passage (under Senate rules).

Last edited by OHGreat; 07-20-2010 at 09:22 AM..

Old 07-20-2010, 08:54 AM

870 posts, read 1,331,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diorgirl View Post
Nothing for the 99ers in the currently proposed legislation that extends eligibility cut-off dates through November 2010 -- but White House Press Secretary Robert Gibbs said on Monday that emergency unemployment insurance will likely be needed beyond November as millions of Americans are expected to still be out of work in the fall.

Gibbs offered no specifics about how the White House would proceed in setting in motion legislation for the additional extension -- nor whether the increasing number of 99ers would be eligible for that extension later this year. But it is considered significant that the White House is now publicly acknowledging the need to continue extending federal unemployment benefits after the mid-term elections.

Gibbs: We'll Push For Another Unemployment Benefits Extension At End Of November
White House:Jobless Benefits Likely Needed Beyond November - WSJ.com (http://online.wsj.com/article/BT-CO-20100719-711284.html - broken link)

I will give credit where credit is due. I appreciated that pickup of info that you were willing to share on any hopeful signs for another segment of the unemployed (99ers). I had missed that piece of info from Gibbs and it is good when the White House takes the initiative and begins the process as early as possible. It is encouraging to see that we (99ers and pre-99ers) support those that are suffering and volunteer any hopeful signs that could be uplifting. There are many struggling and stressing over what their next week will bring without any safety net. Even though 99ers shouldn't be pumped up with 'false' information I DO believe that when there are hopeful signs, even if it still has not solidified, that we need to post it and energize the base of the suffering while they use that energy not only in searching for that elusive job but also in making the necessary contributions to call or fax or petition or march or demonstrate, etc. I may have to re-evaluate my view on what info you lean towards offering and perhaps there can be a 'kumbaya' moment here. Anyway, I hope we all continue to stay positive and expand our net of encouragement to those that may be in a different corner of the same yard, as we should all be on the same 'side' of the fence.

Last edited by South Jersey Man; 07-20-2010 at 09:16 AM..

Old 07-20-2010, 09:19 AM

27 posts, read 36,671 times
I just realized that this vote in the Senate is essentially on whether I have to declare bankruptcy and lose my credit rating for 7 years (along with all that I've struggled to save up that last 5).

Old 07-20-2010, 09:24 AM

225 posts, read 520,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadianton View Post
I just realized that this vote in the Senate is essentially on whether I have to declare bankruptcy and lose my credit rating for 7 years (along with all that I've struggled to save up that last 5).
I realized this vote basically decides whether or not I will have electricity next week. This vote also determines whether or not I will have the gasoline in my vehicle to drive to the job that I secured last week, which starts in August. It feeds my kid until my first paycheck and allows me the ability to actually pay for daycare so I can go to that new job. I wish daycared took IOU's but apparently I'm out of luck there. Can someone answer my question about Georgia SEB? I read on another forum that Georgia is not retropaying anything after 4th tier. I was on SEB (not the same as EUC) when it was cut off.

Old 07-20-2010, 09:30 AM

870 posts, read 1,331,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadianton View Post

Creative way of putting this in perspective. Quite a weighty day when you put it that way, BUT with all the pressure that has been placed on today's vote I don't see any way it doesn't pass. I believe your credit rating will be salvaged based on today's vote. It's also great that this provides for the payments to be retroactive.

Old 07-20-2010, 09:50 AM

776 posts, read 1,599,428 times
It's yet another one of those days where priorities in the media are all twisted.

LINDSAY LOHAN!
BLAGO!
LINDSAY LOHAN!
MEL GIBSON!
BLAGO!
LINDSAY LOHAN!
NAACP/TEA PARTIES
BLAGO!
unemployment extension
MEL GIBSON!
LINDSAY LOHAN!
BLAGO!

I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

Old 07-20-2010, 10:15 AM

9 posts, read 361,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielpalos View Post
Our tax monies are supposed to be raised for the general welfare. If there is any question of where those monies are to come from to pay for social spending that promotes the general welfare, it should come from the Drug War.

Our federal Congress no longer has the power to Prohibit commerce among the several States since the repeal of the Prohibition amendment. The Drug War denies and disparages States' rights and should only be prosecuted where our federal Congress can "legislate in all Cases whatsoever": DC and other federal property. With greater fiscal responsibility, we could be providing for the general welfare while lowering our tax burden and deficits.
I love how no one even considers this. Not only is the so called drug war costing billions of dollars, thousands of lives, and isn't even working(at all) it is putting billions of dollars in the hands of CRIMINALS instead of the government who could clearly use it. I'm with you m8 even if no one else is lol.

Old 07-20-2010, 10:31 AM

143 posts, read 213,899 times
Well the senate is on recess until 2:15.

Old 07-20-2010, 10:31 AM

77 posts, read 183,695 times
Being unemployed makes one realize how screwed up the system in this country really is. We waste money on such stupid things but when it comes to taking care of the people who for years pay taxes, nothing, zilch... not important enough
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment