Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2016, 02:59 PM

1 posts, read 2,821 times

Advertisements

When I applied for a position, I checked carefully on the posting for location, based on the city and zip code given the job would have been a 30-45 min drive during rush hour. I applied, received a call and now have been asked to come in for an interview, BUT the posting was wrong, the job is another 30-45 minutes beyond what the post showed in a totally different area. That would make a rush hour drive of probably 1.5 hours to 2 hours in bad traffic. Do I have to accept if they offer? Will I lose my benefits if I turn it down? I'm 63 and that long of a drive will do a number on my spine and hip arthritis!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2016, 04:25 PM

14,500 posts, read 31,061,750 times
It doesn't sound like you received a true offer, only the chance to interview. You can decline the interview, and you don't need to report it. Also, in a distance issue, it's the distance, time and cost of the commute that matter. This "I'm 63 stuff" will only end up getting you hit with an able and available issue, so don't say it again. UI is not driven by sympathy. Doesn't matter if the long drive interferred with your evening bowling league. If it's too far, it's too far, and that's sufficient.

I never tell people to go for jobs they don't want. If you know right now you don't want it, then don't keep going down the path that you're interested.

Old 03-21-2016, 09:27 AM

4 posts, read 27,563 times
I'm kind of in same situation, but mine was 2 fold. 1- the job was 116 miles round trip and 2- after 6 weeks I had to quit as I was being bullied by some of the staff. I should have seen it coming from 1st weekend worked when the other tech didn't help with squat all night long. But then due to the traffic I switched over to swing and that's where I started getting treated like a newbie and snapped at by some of that staff. I ended up quiting and the manager told me she recognized there was a problem with that going on for a while. Problem is it's been over 3 weeks since i applied for unemployment and I haven't gotten anything or heard from them. Don't know what I can do to get this moving along. I'm afraid they're going to try and fight me on this because I quit. I'm down to car insurance money and health insurance, bills are coming up due.

Old 03-21-2016, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingbaby View Post
I'm kind of in same situation, but mine was 2 fold.
Not really, and there's only one issue.

Quote:
1- the job was 116 miles round trip and
This was a good reason to refuse the job or not even apply, but once you accepted the job, and worked, that tells the world, "I was ok with the 116 mile round-trip commute." Because if you weren't, you wouldn't have taken it.

Quote:
2- after 6 weeks I had to quit as I was being bullied
I'm not sure what you think is "bullying," but if they were physically hurting you, then you should have called the police, not quit.

Quote:
Problem is it's been over 3 weeks since i applied for unemployment and I haven't gotten anything or heard from them.
There's no point in moving this along, and the employer doesn't have to fight it. Quitting all by itself put you behind the eight ball.

You're going to have to come up with a better story, but just know that what you put in your letter of resignation and on your application are going to weigh heavily in the decision. It's tough to change your story, but you can modify it.

Old 04-04-2016, 11:44 AM

4 posts, read 27,563 times
No don't have to change story on anything. Unemployment felt i had just cause to quit especially after talking to the manager and they lied about it. Told her they fired me. Ha!, never happened. No talks, reprimands or anything. I had quit. A lot of what she said didn't even come close. And as far as the drive goes, if attitudes there would have changed and treated me like a person trying to earn a living I would've stayed. I took the job know the miles. Sure eventually I probably would've found something closer but as long as they kept their end to our deal on hiring me it was fine. You're telling me you would put up with people crawling down your back on things that didn't pertain to you, correcting you on things that you were directed to do by 3 different people and were never the same, telling you how to do a job that you have been doing longer than most of them have been alive? That's why i went to the manager, to try and get it under control. But I could see from our discussion and her admits on how this has been going on with no change in these people that it wasn't going to work. I take my job seriously as work with animals. I can't be distracted by kids trying to be king of the hill. This field of work is no different than the human field. I'm sure you people out there would want your pets taken care of by people that care about them and care enough to work in a safe environment. Oh well, doesn't matter now. Got the unemployment and going for 2 interviews this week closer.

Old 04-04-2016, 11:57 AM

13,131 posts, read 20,968,136 times
Can you post a copy of the determination as you would be the first in TX history (that we know of) to get away with this at the interview stage. So, if we can read exactly what the basis and findings of facts of the determination was, that would help us understand what changes TX has implemented. Normally, they would deny and have you appeal, so something has changed in the way TX does things.

Old 04-04-2016, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Told her they fired me.
The deputy probably agreed that the claimant was fired with no misconduct. I'm willing to bet this claimant didn't get UI because they did a bang up job at the interview, but because the employer wasn't all that bright.

Old 04-05-2016, 09:16 PM

156 posts, read 123,651 times
No official offer was made so don't go to the interview and don't ever bring it up to EDD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment