Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2010, 06:34 PM

1 posts, read 28,296 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I live in CA and am registering with a junior college to take online courses......do I have to disclose this to Unemployment? What if I don't? How do they find out you are taking classes anyway?
Thanks appreciate any help you can give me!
T.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2010, 06:56 PM

59 posts, read 250,430 times
I don't think so. The rule of thumb is you should report anything that hinders your ability to look for and get work.

Old 07-10-2010, 11:49 PM

9 posts, read 39,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrah View Post
Hi,
I live in CA and am registering with a junior college to take online courses......do I have to disclose this to Unemployment? What if I don't? How do they find out you are taking classes anyway?
Thanks appreciate any help you can give me!
T.
A few years ago I was collecting unemployment and made the stupid mistake of telling them that I was going to school and they stopped my unemployment. I would not tell them if I were you. How are they going to find out? The colleges don't give the rosters to the dept. of unemployment so if I was in your situation I wouldn't say a word.

Now remember, this is just my own advice, I am no lawyer or expert.

Old 07-11-2010, 12:47 PM

87 posts, read 650,728 times
I've been wondering about this myself. I know there are certain courses that are approved through the WIA program (see here for more info: Workforce Investment Act, ETPL Training Provider Search), where you're allowed to take courses and still collect unemployment benefits. If you are "approved", you will not be expected to look for work during that time, but I believe you have to go to a workshop and meet with a WIA person to get approved first.

If you're taking a course that is not on the approved list, I don't know if there's any way they can tell. The only thing is that you are registered under your social security number for both Unemployment as well as college, so maybe there's a way that your activities can be cross-referenced. Probably not, but that's the only thing that would worry me.

Old 07-11-2010, 12:59 PM

1,228 posts, read 3,708,569 times
I have a friend who went to school while getting UE for two years, they found out and he has to pay most back, and then fines and penalties.

If you aren't sure, ask. It's better than getting yourself into trouble, worst case, they say you can't do it, and you do it anyway, you are back at square one.

Old 07-11-2010, 01:09 PM

87 posts, read 650,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthBound47 View Post
I have a friend who went to school while getting UE for two years, they found out and he has to pay most back, and then fines and penalties.

If you aren't sure, ask. It's better than getting yourself into trouble, worst case, they say you can't do it, and you do it anyway, you are back at square one.

Ooh--well, thank you for sharing that info. That would really suck to have to give money back.

Another thing about WIA--from what I understand, if the course you're interested in isn't already on the list of approved courses, you might still be able to take it if you can write a compelling statement. I'm sure that would include explaining how said course will enhance your chances of employment, and perhaps doing some research to come up with some statistics on your chosen training and potential for employment.

Old 07-11-2010, 01:10 PM

46 posts, read 117,158 times
I did online school the 1st year and they knew, but since they were not paying for it, they told be not to answer yes to schooling.

Old 07-11-2010, 01:22 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,802,779 times
I can't see that online courses would have any impact on your ability and availability to continue your job search so I wouldn't even mention it.

Old 07-15-2010, 08:11 AM

49 posts, read 188,416 times
Hi, I'm not sure if it's different for each state, but I know in NJ you can go to school while on unemployment, but only part time. No more than 6 credits at a time. I went for about 6 months last year and was fine, you just don't say on your claim that you are going to school. The UE Rep actually told me this. Just don't go full time (more than 6 credits at a time) or you might have some problems. I would say no on the claim either way, but legally, you can attend for 6 credits at a time and not get in trouble. Just put 'no', you should be fine.

Old 07-15-2010, 09:29 AM

3 posts, read 32,273 times
say no or they cancel it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment