U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 01:44 PM

95 posts, read 130,655 times
Default Retropay

For people that exhausted their tier, if the bill gets pass, will you get retropay from the date you exhausted that tier? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2010, 04:28 PM

18 posts, read 47,461 times
Sorry to say but unemployment is never retroactive. If the bill passes you'll pick up from the date it's passed.

Old 07-19-2010, 04:39 PM

4,872 posts, read 5,505,404 times
Wink yes

Americans who receive 2010 Unemployment Extensions will receive retroactive pay if and when the Senate does finally pass the particular item. The Unemployment retroactive pay would supposedly date back to the week of June 2, 2010 when many began to lose their benefits. That means for every week that particular jobless individual didn't receive benefits, they should get a check. If the estimated weekly check was $300 for example, some individuals would receive retroactive pay for $2100 by the time the Senate finally passes the bill.

That means some jobless Americans would be receiving nearly 5-7 weeks of Unemployment retroactive pay if and when the Senate actually passes the legislation. The potential number of weeks of retroactive pay will continue to increase for jobless Americans if the Senate continues to struggle to get it passed.

Could there be a scenario where the 2010 Unemployment Extensions would not include retroactive pay? I have heard rumors that after a certain period of time without passage-the 2010 Unemployment Extensions retroactive pay would disappear. I certainly don't think that is what any jobless Americans without pay for 5-7 weeks will want to hear. As it stands with the bill that the House just currently passed, jobless Americans who have lost benefits will receive retroactive pay if the Senate finally pushes that legislation through.

The 2010 Unemployment Extensions retroactive pay is huge for many reasons. Many jobless Americans have waited without income for varying lengths as they searched for employment. That wait has probably prompted those same jobless Americans to push bills back, battle with late fees, and draw serious delinquency penalties. That means the retroactive pay part of the 2010 Unemployment Benefits Extensions is vital to their survival.

Old 07-19-2010, 04:51 PM

Yeah I have a ton of bills that are past due now. If its not retro, I will probably lose my car and apartment.

Old 07-19-2010, 04:55 PM

3,814 posts, read 7,903,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragnmastr85 View Post
For people that exhausted their tier, if the bill gets pass, will you get retropay from the date you exhausted that tier? Thanks.
All the legislation currently proposed makes payment of the EUC Tiers of federal unemployment benefits retroactive to the prior eligibility cut-off dates at the end of May. The start date for the proposed Tiers extensions dovetails with the expiration dates of the previous legislation. So payment of the EUC Tiers should be retroactive in all states.

However, the payment of EB may not be retroactive -- depending upon the rules of your individual state. Some states require that EB be 100% funded by the federal government in order for EB to be paid. Those states ceased payment of EB when the 100% funding expired.

All the legislation currently proposed makes 100% funding of EB retroactive to the expiration date in the prior legislation (the first week in June). But it is up to the individual states (which require 100% federal funding of EB) when they reinstate EB -- and on which date they decide to resume payments.

Old 07-19-2010, 06:32 PM

6,608 posts, read 6,734,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grr629 View Post
Sorry to say but unemployment is never retroactive. If the bill passes you'll pick up from the date it's passed.

Please try NOT to give people advice when you don't actually KNOW the facts. What you said is patently not true.

Old 07-19-2010, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diorgirl View Post
All the legislation currently proposed makes payment of the EUC Tiers of federal unemployment benefits retroactive to the prior eligibility cut-off dates at the end of May. The start date for the proposed Tiers extensions dovetails with the expiration dates of the previous legislation. So payment of the EUC Tiers should be retroactive in all states.

However, the payment of EB may not be retroactive -- depending upon the rules of your individual state. Some states require that EB be 100% funded by the federal government in order for EB to be paid. Those states ceased payment of EB when the 100% funding expired.

All the legislation currently proposed makes 100% funding of EB retroactive to the expiration date in the prior legislation (the first week in June). But it is up to the individual states (which require 100% federal funding of EB) when they reinstate EB -- and on which date they decide to resume payments.
I exhausted my tier 3 on the week ending 5/29/10 (7 weeks ago). I exhausted EB before that. So I would move onto tier 4 correct? Tier 4 is six weeks long so I would get a lump payout of the entire tier? This would be so wonderful if true. I have a job interview next week and this would make sure I can keep my car

Old 07-19-2010, 09:47 PM

3,814 posts, read 7,903,497 times
Quote:
I exhausted my tier 3 on the week ending 5/29/10 (7 weeks ago). I exhausted EB before that. So I would move onto tier 4 correct? Tier 4 is six weeks long so I would get a lump payout of the entire tier? This would be so wonderful if true. I have a job interview next week and this would make sure I can keep my car
As long as your state qualifies for Tier IV (three-month average unemployment rate of at least 8.5%) you will get Tier IV.

Some states have maximum dollar amounts for the UI benefits payments they can make in one check or in one deposit. So if you do not receive the total retro benefits in a single payment, you will receive the total in several separate payments at the same time.

Old 07-19-2010, 10:43 PM

22 posts, read 24,074 times
Quote:
Yeah I have a ton of bills that are past due now. If its not retro, I will probably lose my car and apartment.
Im banking on retro pay as well, its how i plan to pay my rent and my lights.

Old 07-20-2010, 05:43 AM

79 posts, read 118,936 times
Because of some arbitrary date, my tier 1 ended like one day past the last deadline date to move to tier 2, so I haven't got a check from Florida since June 8th.

Trying to find the exact dates this new bill will help has been extremely tough, and this thread is the best source I've found so far.

I read this earlier in the thread
Unemployment retroactive pay would supposedly date back to the week of June 2, 2010 when many began to lose their benefits.

Now does this mean I'm screwed again by a matter of days because my last check was dated June 8, or is there any hope?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment