U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 07:09 AM

49 posts, read 98,273 times
I know in NJ, the key is to only attend part time and you can always answer "no" on your forms and not get in trouble. I was told that by an agent when I asked, since I was attending school part time a while back. You can take up to 6 credits at a time and still get your UE.

In another state, it might be good to call and ask as a general question, for information, rather than saying "I'm in school now!". Then you'll know and you can adjust your schedule to what they accept.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2011, 07:32 AM

1,296 posts, read 1,107,322 times
I'd say, that if a student is attending school full time, then you shoud be eligible for financial aid. A financial aid package, can pay for everything; tuition, books, room and board, and other living expenses. If you have little or no income to pay for school, then you should be eligible for a complete financial aid package: Pell and state grants, SEOG grant, any grants that your school offers, Perkins loan, Stafford loan and Work Study.

If attending school full-time is your first priority, then it makes more since to rely on financial aid monies, rather than depending on unemployment benefits. If you need to work while attending school, then you can always find a work-study job. Most of those work-study jobs, are on campus, and those who employ students, are willing to work with students, regarding their schedule of classes.

Old 07-25-2011, 01:32 PM

1 posts, read 7,619 times
I am attending school part time right now- one class 5 hours a day 3x a week = 15 hours.. Can I still collect unemployment?? I am still looking for a job. Its a CNA program. I have not told unemploy bc I do not want to lose my benefits.. I think if u attend full time- u run the risk of losing ur benefits.. anyone know?? I am in Chicago

Old 07-25-2011, 03:23 PM

13,125 posts, read 16,000,249 times
You are supposed to let Unemployment know when you are attending school. Often they approve. When it comes to unemployment benefits, Illinois is difficult to deal with on many fronts. I would suspect getting approval for school would be included in that.

Old 07-25-2011, 04:26 PM

100 posts, read 166,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basehits View Post
I have been collecting unemployment since november when i got laid-off from my part-time job. I started college full-time in january. Can i still collect my benefits ?
What state are you in?

Old 07-28-2011, 12:13 PM

363 posts, read 504,048 times
Actually in NJ you just have to be considered "part-time" and you can answer no on the "are you enrolled full-time in school/training.". So as long as you take under the number of credits your school/program considers full-time you're fine. You do of course, have to continue to search for work at the same time and take it if it's offered.

Old 08-14-2011, 11:56 AM

77 posts, read 282,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotherLeeds13 View Post

Bottom line...DO NOT tell UI that you are taking any classes, period.
Doesnt seem like great advice.... Id imagine they would be able to find out.
Also, I imagine you'd be eligible for generous educational tax credits (Hope etc) and IRS and UI probably communicate. Although if it's not interfering with your ability to look for work I do not see the problem they would have with it.

Old 08-17-2011, 12:26 PM

52 posts, read 67,785 times
I have thought about taking 2 college courses which would run in the evening. I don't mind the phone interview, but from my understanding it could take 2-3 weeks before you get your check. I can't wait that long honestly. I'm in California so who knows what will happen if I decide to go back to school.. Could be longer or I may lose everything.... "What a drag it is getting old" Rolling Stones

Old 08-17-2011, 02:39 PM

159 posts, read 132,799 times
So glad I found this thread.

UE is some straight B-U-L-L when it comes to this.

So you lose your job.
You file unemployment.
You have to jump through a million hoops to get it.
You still haven't found a job after 6+ months.
You happen upon an opportunity to go to school to further your education so that you can get a better job that hopefully reduces your chances of getting laid off again.
You report this to UE.
They ask you if you are willing to quit school to seek full time work.
You tell them that you are willing to look for work outside of normal 9a-5p hours, because there are jobs that allow people to work 2nd and 3rd shift.
They tell you that a deputy from UE has to make a decision b/c your time should be spent looking for full time work, not furthering your education.
But you're still supposed fill out your weekly contacts as they instructed.
But there's no guarantee that you'll be approved for UE, even though you have already stated you are still willing to work full time.

They basically want you to be miserable.

You either sit at home, collect unemployment and PRAY that someone hires you

OR

You go to school and still be willing to work full time.

The fcks who make these rules have guaranteed jobs. These are the people who need to vote out of office.

Old 08-19-2011, 11:37 AM

1,811 posts, read 1,915,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLBound09 View Post
So glad I found this thread.

UE is some straight B-U-L-L when it comes to this.

So you lose your job.
You file unemployment.
You have to jump through a million hoops to get it.
You still haven't found a job after 6+ months.
You happen upon an opportunity to go to school to further your education so that you can get a better job that hopefully reduces your chances of getting laid off again.
You report this to UE.
They ask you if you are willing to quit school to seek full time work.
You tell them that you are willing to look for work outside of normal 9a-5p hours, because there are jobs that allow people to work 2nd and 3rd shift.
They tell you that a deputy from UE has to make a decision b/c your time should be spent looking for full time work, not furthering your education.
But you're still supposed fill out your weekly contacts as they instructed.
But there's no guarantee that you'll be approved for UE, even though you have already stated you are still willing to work full time.

They basically want you to be miserable.

You either sit at home, collect unemployment and PRAY that someone hires you

OR

You go to school and still be willing to work full time.

The fcks who make these rules have guaranteed jobs. These are the people who need to vote out of office.
Absolutely. Dept of Labor works the same in New York. And the rules for HRA (Human Resource Admin. in New York State that give food stamps, rent assistance) as well as for same agencies in other states work ....THE SAME. These agencies have ridiculous rules that do not help you in finding work. The money they give you is minimal unless you're a drug addict, homeless or baby mama. One of the 3 conditions above is the only way you get any serious money from any of these agencies, or get them to pay your education. Sorry, that's the U.S. of A. Once you're in their system, they do everything to keep you there so they make money off of you. You being in that system is how these gov't workers get their salary, benefits, and union pensions. Leeches.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment