Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 02:39 PM

2,071 posts, read 6,695,826 times

Advertisements

I'm new on umemployment, only 3 weeks in. Can I move out of state and still collect from my current state? I'm in las vegas NV. There is no work here for me. I have a much much better opportunity to get a job back east where my family has a business. So how does that work?

Move and still file the same weekly? If unemployment/Nevada state finds that i moved to the east coast will they cut off my unemployment? Or can i still collect out of state?

I did call unemployment, was on hold for 2 hrs! My call was dropped! unreal! No time to keep calling them.

Please help

Thank You
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2010, 02:44 AM

30,345 posts, read 51,930,608 times
I'd like to know the same thing, and for very similar reasons... too much competition here, and the rents are too high to survive while job-seeking! Anyone have an answer to this question? I'm in California currently, if that makes a difference.

Old 09-08-2010, 05:26 PM

25,581 posts, read 56,471,152 times
Yes, you can move to another state, continue your job search there and collect from your claiming state. You would continue to file your claims in CA, NV, or wherever your unemployment originated as you usually do. Just notify your UE people of your change of residence. Possibly you can do this online and not have to deal with the phone frustration. Try to establish direct deposit to avoid mail delays.

Know that if you have exhausted your state benefits and all the tiers, you will only be able to collect EB (extended benefits) if the state in which you are currently residing is also paying EB. Other than that, benefits are paid per your claiming state guidelines.

Old 09-08-2010, 11:41 PM

30,345 posts, read 51,930,608 times
Great to know!! I've been playing with the idea of moving out-of-state, back to Oregon where I attended college... not sure how the job market is up there, but at least I'd have MUCH lower living costs. Hmmmmm, now I really have something to think about - and of course I'll verify this with EDD before actually moving.

Old 10-29-2011, 11:29 AM

1 posts, read 28,581 times
Default unemployment comp

How does one find out which tier they are on in unemployment comp?

Old 10-30-2011, 12:39 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,357,132 times
If you have not drawn cash, it may be to your benefit to have the claim withdrawn, and file in the state you move to, if the UI benefit is higher in that state. For example, I worked in FL, my address is in WA, so I filed in WA, where the benefit is much higher. My FL wages are transferred to WA, so I get UI at the higher rate.

Old 10-30-2011, 01:09 PM

25,581 posts, read 56,471,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
If you have not drawn cash, it may be to your benefit to have the claim withdrawn, and file in the state you move to, if the UI benefit is higher in that state. For example, I worked in FL, my address is in WA, so I filed in WA, where the benefit is much higher. My FL wages are transferred to WA, so I get UI at the higher rate.
Doubt that is true - unless you also have had earnings in WA, or WA has different rules.

NJ/NY/PA/MD and many other states will not accept unemployment claims UNLESS claimaint has sufficient earnings in that state for a claim. They want to shed claimants as soon as possible.

Interesting post on PA shedding a WA state resident as soon as that resident had sufficient earnings for a claim in WA.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/21262894-post17.html

Also, to which post are you responding? Other than the tier Q, everything else on this thread goes back to Sept. 2010.

Old 10-31-2011, 12:24 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,631,833 times
I agree, your UE benefit comes from the state you were employed in.

Why would a state that you never earned a paycheck in pay out your claim?

Old 11-12-2011, 03:39 PM

115 posts, read 226,781 times
it is true. My son worked in Colorado, lost his job, did not have any wages in Oregon but moved there. He filed for out of state unemployment against Colorado but Oregon told him he will get a higher benefit by applying for Oregon unemployment, he did and received $50.00 more than the Colorado benefit would have been. All checks came from the Oregon unemployment department and all weeekly claims were filed on their claim phone line not Colorado's. This was in 2003. I could not believe it either since I always had to file an out of state claim but saw it with my own eyes.

It is amazing what the more liberal states allow, I also kicked him out of my house in Oregon and he had no where else to go but friends out of state and had to quit job, was a completely valid reason for Oregon to pay unemployment. Colorado did it too. He just used the same reason for quitting and as long as he had an address out of the area he was originally in, it worked without appeal.

Last edited by Grovester; 11-12-2011 at 03:50 PM.. Reason: missing info and added info.

Old 11-19-2011, 09:07 AM

804 posts, read 1,964,604 times
The original post was from last year but the information still pertains today. I've done it. Just be careful about notifying the UI office and satisfying all requirements. They understand that people will sometimes move to a better job market for their occupation, and some need to move in with relatives to save expenses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment