U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 07-27-2010, 05:12 PM

36 posts, read 57,688 times
Arrow How long do you have to work before you recieve unemployment again?

Hubby has been out of work and is soon coming to and end on his first extension. He works in the construction field and right now any work he can find is sporadic. He has a friend who can get him onto his jobsite, but there is no guarantee how long he would be kept working. If he were to go to work for 4-6 weeks and were laid off, would he be able to return to his extension? Or would they deny him because he didn't work for so many quarters?

We are confused on how this works and he is getting conflicting messages from other construction workers who are on umemployment. You all seem very knowledgeable, so I thought I'd try to find the answer here.

He desparately wants to go back to work, but without knowing the answer to this, he is afraid to jeopardize our financial situation even more than it is.

Thank you for any insight on this matter.

We live in Nevada.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 07-27-2010, 06:12 PM

12,353 posts, read 14,345,139 times
Your husband is probably approaching the end of his first benefit year. Whether or not he will be able to continue on the tier system will depend upon whether or not his part-time earnings during his first benefit year would qualify him to open a new claim. If the earnings are too low to qualify for a new benefit year, the old claim is reopened and he would continue on the tiers at the same weekly benefit.

If his earnings qualify him for a new claim year, it is possible your husband's benefit will be recalculated - possibly reduced if his current benefit is based on full-time employment for a long period - and he may no longer qualify for the tier program - just basic unemployment and possibly not for the full 26 weeks if his earnings are insufficient under the formula.

I think this is why he is getting conflicting information from his coworkers. The system is not designed to reward part-time work in periods of extended unemployment - especially in the first claim year and if he had been employed for a long time earning top dollar before being laid off. Chances are working only 4-6 weeks would not jeopardize his status, but it depends on how Nevada calculates eligibility. See what you can find on the Nevada website on this. Often the websites give examples of how eligibility and benefits are calculated.

Hopefully, diorgirl sees this and responds. Our resident expert.

Unread 07-27-2010, 07:25 PM

6,610 posts, read 6,018,495 times
Wow - Nevada's eligibility is pretty low - 3 x WBA would "qualify" him for a new claim at the end of his benefit year, and then the new claim would be based on his earnings during a newly calculated base year.

That's a pretty steep risk for a possible 4-6 weeks work max. when you have a family to support imho.

As an aside maybe someone knows - I thought Obama said he was going to "fix" this - regarding being penalised for pt/temp work in your first benefit year?

Unread 07-27-2010, 07:37 PM

1,255 posts, read 584,961 times
To my knowledge its the last 5 quarters that you worked that are used to determine your unemployment, the most recent quarter is skipped.

Unread 07-27-2010, 08:18 PM

726 posts, read 1,040,975 times
You would want to check with the state. With the passing of the new legislation, it is likely the state will not "force" a filing of a new claim if the benefit amount would drop more than $100 or 25%. A new littlepiece they threw in for this extension.

Unread 07-27-2010, 10:21 PM

6,610 posts, read 6,018,495 times
Try calling your state DOL/UE and asking as a hypothetical - you can tell them he MAY have the chance of 4 or 5 weeks work, and ask how this would affect the UE benefits you are relying on to support your family. Don't let them think it's a definite offer, just a maybe.....

Unread 09-10-2010, 06:37 PM

1 posts, read 7,227 times
Default does anyone know how i can request an over payment waiver for non fraud??ii

i received an over payment letter today for non fraud. im due to go into labor anyday now & i have no income. my condo that im living in is being forclosed. my fiance just started working & hasnt even received a 2nd paycheck yet.

i know user buzz123 is a prior ESD employee,maybe he can give a tip. i cannot afford to pay them,at least no till i go back to work in 3-4months. my benefits are on hold & we need that to survive & move into our new place.

what to do?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment