U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-09-2010, 08:58 PM
 
12 posts, read 17,159 times
Reputation: 11

Advertisements

If I move from NY and am on extended benefits to California, will that affect my claim in any way? Will my payments be delayed? Do I continue to process my claims on the same website as before or do I do it on the new state's website?

Lastly, are extended benefits for NY paid in the same way, but with the additional work search "letter" you have to send every month? Is there anything else to note about extended benefits vs regular?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-09-2010, 10:58 PM
 
7,931 posts, read 8,521,726 times
Reputation: 10928
Your benefits are paid out of the state you were employed in. You will not get any benefits from CA as you have never worked there.

As a long term CA resident who now lives on the east coast you couldn't pick a worse time to move to CA.

Was just back in March and I have two family members who were laid off last year, they can't find anything.

Doesn't sound like you have a job lined up, hopefully you have friends or family you can stay with long term.

As much as I love CA, it is not the place to head to without a lot of money saved up and a real good plan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-09-2010, 11:01 PM
 
12 posts, read 17,159 times
Reputation: 11
I do have a good plan, but I don't want to get into that because it's off topic. I am well aware of the current situation in California, the unemployment rate, etc.

So, are you saying that if I move to CA I would still be getting paid by NY state since that's where I was employed or that neither state would pay me at all?

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Your benefits are paid out of the state you were employed in. You will not get any benefits from CA as you have never worked there.

As a long term CA resident who now lives on the east coast you couldn't pick a worse time to move to CA.

Was just back in March and I have two family members who were laid off last year, they can't find anything.

Doesn't sound like you have a job lined up, hopefully you have friends or family you can stay with long term.

As much as I love CA, it is not the place to head to without a lot of money saved up and a real good plan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-09-2010, 11:12 PM
 
Location: Wisconsin
14,254 posts, read 18,798,636 times
Reputation: 6806
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Your benefits are paid out of the state you were employed in. You will not get any benefits from CA as you have never worked there.
This is not always true. A while back we had a thread wherein a couple of people posted that although they worked in NJ, when it came to EB, they were able to collect from the state to which they had moved. Another person moved to S. Carolina, I believe, and her NJ EB stopped, but she couldn't collect from S. Carolina, either, as they weren't paying EB, or something like that. Where EB is concerned, there are state reciprocity issues in some cases.

OK, I found the thread.

Your certification cannot be completed as EB has ended in your resident state

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
I'm pretty sure that once you're on state EB, even if the state you were making your claim on (NJ) has EB, your getting it is dependant on the state you're currently in (SC) still offering EB.

State EB has different rules to the federal EUC extensions in that regard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-09-2010, 11:16 PM
 
12 posts, read 17,159 times
Reputation: 11
I don't understand. Why would it be dependent on NY and not Cali? In NY I have several weeks of EB left.

And it says this about Cali:

The following states do not have a permanent EB trigger but qualify for EB since the IUR threshold is met:
CA, ID, NV, PA and WII'm so confused
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-09-2010, 11:26 PM
 
Location: Spokane via Sydney,Australia
6,608 posts, read 6,906,649 times
Reputation: 2980
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
This is not always true. A while back we had a thread wherein a couple of people posted that although they worked in NJ, when it came to EB, they were able to collect from the state to which they had moved. Another person moved to S. Carolina, I believe, and her NJ EB stopped, but she couldn't collect from S. Carolina, either, as they weren't paying EB, or something like that. Where EB is concerned, there are state reciprocity issues in some cases.

OK, I found the thread.

Your certification cannot be completed as EB has ended in your resident state

In that particular case her EB from NJ (her claiming state) stopped because her state of residence (SC) did not have EB unless it was federally funded.

You CANNOT collect from a state in which you have NOT worked - period.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-09-2010, 11:29 PM
 
Location: Spokane via Sydney,Australia
6,608 posts, read 6,906,649 times
Reputation: 2980
Quote:
Originally Posted by karma_lover View Post
I don't understand. Why would it be dependent on NY and not Cali? In NY I have several weeks of EB left.

And it says this about Cali:

The following states do not have a permanent EB trigger but qualify for EB since the IUR threshold is met:
CA, ID, NV, PA and WII'm so confused
For your CLAIMING state (NY) to continue to pay you state EB your RESIDENT state (Ca) MUST offer EB. As long as the state you are residing in (which would be Ca if you moved there) offers EB, then NY (your state of CLAIM) would continue to pay your EB.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-09-2010, 11:31 PM
 
12 posts, read 17,159 times
Reputation: 11
So, does California offer EB?

When I google it I keep reading about something called FED-ED--Is that the same?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-09-2010, 11:36 PM
 
Location: Spokane via Sydney,Australia
6,608 posts, read 6,906,649 times
Reputation: 2980
Yes, in Ca state extended benefits is known as Fed-Ed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-09-2010, 11:58 PM
 
Location: Wisconsin
14,254 posts, read 18,798,636 times
Reputation: 6806
OK, Opyelie, one last Q then on logistics.

So, Karma needs to notify NYS of her change in residence and then continue her usual claim procedures through NYS website?

Thank you, Opyelie, for making this crystal clear. Claiming state, resident state. Good terms to remember.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 08-10-2010 at 12:13 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top