Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2010, 07:49 AM

98 posts, read 257,481 times

Advertisements

Is there good reason to quit job to collect un employment

thank you

p.s not that we would do anything unethical
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2010, 09:29 AM

726 posts, read 2,147,974 times
Every state has its own guidelines/laws regarding allowable quits. One that is different in many states is quitting to move. Some states allow benefits if you quit your job to move with a spouse others deny benefits. Also quitting because you are physically unable to perform the job and the employer is unable to accomodate you. If you post where you're from maybe you'll get some examples from people in the state you reside.

Old 08-15-2010, 09:48 AM

49 posts, read 352,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMANN989 View Post
Is there good reason to quit job to collect un employment

thank you

p.s not that we would do anything unethical
What about a significant reduction in work hours and benefits ? IMO, if your work hours are cut to zero with no prospect of adding hours in the near future you have a solid case for resigning and collecting unemployment benefits. Actually, you have no meaningful employment to even dispute. Reduction in hours from F/T to P/T is a grey area but probably won't fly unless there are some additional issues.

Old 08-15-2010, 11:38 AM

25,580 posts, read 56,482,264 times
Have you checked the thread you began yesterday on this subject?

Resign or quit job can i collect unemployment

As you may have surmised by now from your other thread, it is very difficult to quit a job AND collect unemployment. Illness in the family, which is why you posted yesterday, is subject to FMLA (during which you do not collect UEC, btw). A quit is a quit for the most part.

Don't expect to see any money anytime soon. Highly probable you will experience a denial, an appeal, a hearing, another denial - all of which will take many months.

Old 08-15-2010, 04:38 PM

118 posts, read 534,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOCA123 View Post
What about a significant reduction in work hours and benefits ? IMO, if your work hours are cut to zero with no prospect of adding hours in the near future you have a solid case for resigning and collecting unemployment benefits. Actually, you have no meaningful employment to even dispute. Reduction in hours from F/T to P/T is a grey area but probably won't fly unless there are some additional issues.
I don't know if it works like this in all states, but here in California, when you apply for unemployment you write out the reason that you're no longer working and then EDD sends a letter to the former employer quoting that reason and if the employer doesn't respond to say it's incorrect, the claim goes through.

Last winter my job got cut back to about 5-10 hours a week. They would have kept me on like that and there was a slim chance of some grant funded projects being available in the summer (my work had always been grant-funded, but the grants have been drying up like most other funding). Instead I chose to quit and move elsewhere to find better work. On my unemployment claim I just put down "not enough funding for position," which is technically true even though I could have stayed on at reduced hours.

I've talked to people who received unemployment after just plain quitting a job for no reason other than they didn't like it. My guess is that the employer didn't challenge the reason stated on the letter they received from EDD.

So I guess it all depends on how good your relationship with the former employer is or even just how diligent they are in following up on correspondence like that.

Old 08-15-2010, 04:47 PM

3,814 posts, read 11,976,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweater Fish View Post
I don't know if it works like this in all states, but here in California...

So I guess it all depends on how good your relationship with the former employer is or even just how diligent they are in following up on correspondence like that.
As previously posted, these determinations vary widely from state to state. For example, in New Jersey your relationship with your former employer has very little to do with whether or not you are awarded UI benefits in instances where you quit for reasons other than those specified by NJ UI.

Old 03-25-2012, 12:27 PM

1 posts, read 3,660 times
Default Is resigning from a job due to being bullied by a coworker good cause?

I live in the state of new york, and was working for a telemarketiing company in the year 2010. I was carpooling an unpleasant coworker for a couple of weeks before i told him i didnt want to drive him back and forth to work. The day i didnt give him a ride to work ( i already told him before this day i wasnt chauffering him in my car ) he walks over to my cubical and threatens to punch me in the face. I reported hid statement to management. Management took my complaint to corporate management. Corporate only agreed to fire him upon my consent, but i withdrawed because they would tell him that i would be responsible for his termination, and he was on parole at the time, and i also didnt know if he would have tried to hurt.
I endured his bullying and name calling that was offensive towards my sexual orientation, and i quit letting the company know i found something better, but just told them that because i c's uldnt take the abuse and the company's lack of care in the situation. I filef for benefits explaining i resigned to accept another job, but was denied. I went to a hearing to contest the unemployment office's decision, and the judge denied me because i didn't try to recover my job with the telemarketing company. Now im appealing the decision introducing the harassing behavior from the coworker. I filed a complaint with the division of human rights about the harassment, and the company paid me $1,000. Now im also introducing that evidence to the unemployment appeal board as well as two letters by two witnesses that notarized the letters, and a letter i found that briefly stated a receipt of my complaint against the harassing coworker twp monthsbefore the appeal board denied my request for benefits. Now im gathering all i have to prove my case to the appellate division as well as the new information i got to the appeal board for the reconsideration to reopen my request for benefits

Old 03-28-2012, 09:06 AM

Location: Olde English District, SC (look it up on Wikipedia)
243 posts, read 366,871 times
I quit when my job moved after nearly four years, doubling my daily commute from about one hour round trip to nearly three hours round trip without any increase in my pay (I only made about 25K per year). I was losing money on gas and not making enough to repair/replace my car, which has almost 200K miles on it and is NOT Japanese. I won my claim for unemployment.

Old 03-28-2012, 10:39 AM

14,500 posts, read 31,079,420 times
^It's stories like this that cause confusion in people's minds about what "good cause" to quit is.

The key thing that mattered in the above story is that the EMPLOYER moved the work location. Unemployment adjudicators use a three prong test: Distance, commute time, or commuting expenses vs remuneration. Consider yourself lucky when you live in a state that clearly defines the cut offs used.

Old 03-28-2012, 10:42 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
quitting is like short selling or walking your house note. makes u feel good momentarily but leaves u with some issues. much easier to dump a job than get one for most.
btw read the CDF posts, many who are typing away here contemplating quitting, are fired 48 hrs later b4 they get the chance.
employers like CDF---- very informative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment