U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 01:11 PM

118 posts, read 448,850 times

Advertisements

Don't they have a list of subs that they call during summer classes? Sometimes they must need subs during the summer, right?

If they do use subs, then I don't see how your position during the summer has changed at all compared to the regular school year. Assuming you're on the list, you could still get a call to come in and sub and theoretcally have to be standing by hoping it happens. You're quantifiably not like a full time teacher in that regard, so the summer-off thing doesn't really apply.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2010, 01:25 PM

2,796 posts, read 5,336,448 times
The government stops paying you when you get a job. My oh my what is this world coming to.

Old 08-23-2010, 01:32 PM

118 posts, read 448,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zz4guy View Post
The government stops paying you when you get a job. My oh my what is this world coming to.
Err...what are you even talking about? What you just wrote is (a) completely irrelevant to the subject of this topic and (b) false anyway.

...word is bondage...

Old 08-23-2010, 01:33 PM
Status: "My ship may finally have come in....." (set 27 days ago)

8,811 posts, read 14,139,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweater Fish View Post
Don't they have a list of subs that they call during summer classes? Sometimes they must need subs during the summer, right?

If they do use subs, then I don't see how your position during the summer has changed at all compared to the regular school year. Assuming you're on the list, you could still get a call to come in and sub and theoretcally have to be standing by hoping it happens. You're quantifiably not like a full time teacher in that regard, so the summer-off thing doesn't really apply.
From my knowledge and experience summer subs are actually very limited and its usually assumed you won't be called at all in the summer. Also, in many districts summer school has actually been eliminated due to budgets.

Old 08-23-2010, 01:42 PM

2,796 posts, read 5,336,448 times
Err... what? Turn down Oprah for a second.

Old 08-23-2010, 02:55 PM

15 posts, read 67,121 times
first of all at least we are trying to get a job and not sitting watching tv all day. There are people who have been collecting for 1 1/2-2 years and some of them have not even tried to work part time and work towards getting a job. Isn't unemployment designed to help you remedy a problem. We tried to remedy our problem by getting on a sub list in hopes we could get a full time job out of it. Unemployment allows you to do this in all cases except schools apparently. You should not pass judgement until you are in the same boat. We are the people trying to get a job shame on you! The system is failing people doing the honest thing and rewarding the ones taking advantage!!!!

I also spoke to an employment lawyer today and he said to continue to appeal because a lot of times the appeal decision will change the second time. Hopefully this time I get someone who will actually listen to me.

Old 08-23-2010, 02:58 PM

15 posts, read 67,121 times
We actually do have a summer program but I was not asked to be on the sub list I did tell that to the appeals examiner but he did not care about that.

Old 08-23-2010, 04:05 PM
Status: "My ship may finally have come in....." (set 27 days ago)

8,811 posts, read 14,139,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zz4guy View Post
If you read it carefully, the job is part-time and not offered during the summer. You are entitled to "partial unemployment" when you go from a different full-time job to a part-time job. The issue is about that and about getting unemployment when work at that job is not offered at for a period of time (something that is the exact purpose of unemployment insurance and is every working person's right), not about "being paid by the government while working". Stop being such a boob and pay attention next time!

Old 10-08-2010, 10:51 AM

67 posts, read 345,651 times
Can I ask a somewhat similar question...

I have been in sales for over two decades. The company laid off the entire sales force. I collected unemployment. I was going crazy sitting home and not getting any interviews. I applied to become a substitute teacher..It was occasionally the school system called. I collected unemployment and reported the hours of work and income as I was supposed to do.

I finally got a sales job in January 2010 and didn't do anything with the school system as far as notifying them as I thought my finger printing 3 year period was to expire in February any way...

Low and behold ...in sept...the company that hired me for sales...said...you're not selling enough...your gone..

I go to file unemployment...and I see substitute teaching on the employment records..
Two days in sept 2009 and one day in oct. 2009.

I call up the board of education and they say....sure you are still on the substitute lists..

I made like 45 dollars for half a day and 90 dollars for a full day of teaching...which is fine...but as soon as I got a sales job at 60 to a hundred grand a year...with a car and expenses...I stopped doing any substitute teaching...

Can I file for unemployment.? Do I say I'm not employed as a substitute teacher since I haven't done it in over a year? It was part time work to just keep me moving but does it now stop me from collecting unemployment when I lost this sales job?

I'm a very good saleperson....this company was twice the price of their service than the competition...and in this economy ....it was very difficult to convince people to change to a more costly service contract.. ...

Feb, march and april I did great..In may, june, july and august... it was like the phones just completely stopped ringing in the office...where the business told me I'd be so busy I'd have 6 appointments a day..The economy really did finally hit this particular industry(and price of service became an issue) ...anyways....

Any insight would help with my question with regards to substitute teaching...(in the base year calculations)

when filling out the unemployment forms...its asks first about your last job (The sales job which I did over the 20 base weeks in the retro quarters of 2010 Jan to June )...did you stop working (as in substitute teaching) Do I say yes? or no? and why? It doesn't leave a space for...the fact ....I got a full time sales job so I just stopped substitute teaching...

When it asks am I still employed by the school district... Do I say no or yes? Am I working there? No...but I am on a list that they may call me..so does that mean I employed by them or not?

Its not real money its just 45 or 90 dollars a day once maybe every two or three weeks.. The lists are very long for the number of people substituting..

I tried calling the unemployment office...and I'm on hold for 25 minutes and then I seem to get disconnected ...if I call again..the same thing seems to happen...I wait 25 minutes and then I seem to get disconnected...

I'd go to the local unemployment office but I hear they just give you a phone number to call from that office?

Any insight would be appreciated..

I do believe working as a substitute teacher helped me get another sales job..This is a wild economy and if your not working...in some capacity its hard to get an interview.. So I don't regret substitute teaching...as it really did help me find another job and I like working with the kids....

Its bizarre....that very few companies..

are hiring anyone out of work so if your teaching even as a substitute...its much easier to get to an interview..at least for sales..

Thanks again for any insight, opinions or suggestions..

Last edited by Maxwel; 10-08-2010 at 11:03 AM..

Old 10-08-2010, 01:20 PM

92 posts, read 257,384 times
Since you theoretically quit the sub job to get a full time job I would answer no to the question if you are still working at the school. Your unemployment claim should be based on the sales job anyway and should be enough to start a new claim.

Just note that if you do go back to subbing, they will not pay you unemployment during the summer months - even if you only sub 1 day. So if you want to work part time, I would recommend a temp job instead.

Also do not waste your time trying to call or visit the unemployment office - they will not know the right answer. If you run into a problem email the governor and someone from the Dept of Labor will call you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or