U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2010, 09:05 AM

1,011 posts, read 2,379,390 times

Advertisements

lets say you work in a certain dept. you're making say $50k. they come to you and say we're eliminating this department but you can stay with the company and work for a different department.(one that the company isn't getting rid of)However, they dont pay as much. Do most jobs keep you at your current salary or would you have to take a paycut when staying with the company??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2010, 09:24 AM

140 posts, read 533,230 times
I think if you're unhappy with the salary cut, then you should start looking for a new job. Quitting and applying to unemployment wouldn't help unless it was a very drastic pay cut. So be very careful.

I don't think there is a law (at least not in California) that says you can't get a pay cut. Employment is At Will in California. I don't know what state you're in- but I would guess that if you're not happy, the only recourse is to find another job. Good luck to you!

Old 09-04-2010, 11:51 AM

1,828 posts, read 4,204,116 times
Whatever the company wants to do they will do. Not really up to you or any other companies way of doing things. Only thing you can do is not accept it or take it.

Old 09-04-2010, 01:55 PM

21,551 posts, read 44,115,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daboywonder2002 View Post
Do most jobs keep you at your current salary or would you have to take a paycut when staying with the company??
To answer your question - No, most jobs do not keep you at your present salary. Various positions have their own pay grades and value to the company. If you move to a position below your current pay grade, you are paid accordingly, at the new lower level. This happened at my former employer during good times and bad. It's fair. Nothing to be done about it.

Old 09-04-2010, 06:55 PM

2,946 posts, read 4,882,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHGreat View Post
Whatever the company wants to do they will do. Not really up to you or any other companies way of doing things. Only thing you can do is not accept it or take it.
True, ohgreat. In years past, companies may have been reluctant to downgrade valuable employees. A good employee could take their experience and good work history elsewhere and find a better situation. Today, employers have the leverage. There is no shortage of qualified experienced people to fill positions. So, companies squeeze more for less out of their employees.

Old 09-04-2010, 07:02 PM

1,828 posts, read 4,204,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spm62 View Post
True, ohgreat. In years past, companies may have been reluctant to downgrade valuable employees. A good employee could take their experience and good work history elsewhere and find a better situation. Today, employers have the leverage. There is no shortage of qualified experienced people to fill positions. So, companies squeeze more for less out of their employees.
Hey spm good to see you back, I hope your job you have right now is keeping you above water. Still looking here, I jumped through hoops myself and got an offer for a job only if the company gets the contract they are going after. Been waiting for weeks now and hoping and praying it comes through as I'm down to 11 weeks left.

But back on topic yea I dont think it matters how things were before and I dont think you can compare companies and what they once did either. Its all going to be whatever the company wants to do with you.

Old 05-31-2012, 02:59 AM

1 posts, read 1,302 times
can an organization downgrade my salary grade as well as my salary?

Old 05-31-2012, 03:09 AM

4,402 posts, read 11,631,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yemane3 View Post
can an organization downgrade my salary grade as well as my salary?
Yes. Unless you are on contract, your pay can be cut, your salary can be downgraded, your position can be eliminated.

Old 05-31-2012, 06:07 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
29,918 posts, read 54,633,409 times
We would in fact keep the salary the same in many cases, as long as the pay is still within the appropriate salary range for the lower grade. For example, if you are at the lower end of the higher
pay grade and the demotion puts you near the top of the lower pay grade there would be no change.

Old 06-01-2012, 04:36 PM

13,131 posts, read 19,553,249 times
Don't confuse the fact that your employer can put the screws to you that you have to take it.

If the cut in pay is sufficient enough (get it in writing for proof at at your appeal), and you attempt to adjust your grievance (do it by letter or email so you have proof for your appeal), you are within your rights to refuse the new postion and lower pay and collect unemployment.

Do the math and know that you might be pushed through appeals more than anyone should have to endure. I would have been working 20 hrs/week for $280/week, or staying home looking for a job for $240/wk. When I made that decision, I knew I'd get not just 26 weeks, but at least 52 weeks because the extension through 12/31/11 had already been passed. Then because of this site I learned about the phase out, and then knew I'd be getting 60 wks, and now I'm going to be getting 79, and hopefully 89 weeks. However, it took 11 months of appeals and another month to receive my first unemployment payment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or