Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 11:16 AM

3,814 posts, read 11,976,173 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHGreat View Post
And as I stated! She made a phone call! UI benefits do not get cut off for making a phone call. There was nothing else to it and it was ridiculous what the rep told her. It is also your opinion she was not cut off. The rep told her otherwise.
She should call and verify it.
Obviously, she would not have been scheduled for the orientation program in the same telephone call if she had been cut off from UI benefits. In addition, a telephone agent in NJ does not have the authority to terminate UI benefits -- he would have had to refer the case to someone further up the line to review.

It's more likely that -- in the heat of the moment -- the OP misunderstood what the agent said; he probably said she "could be" cut off.

Of course, she can always call and verify anything she wants. But she should be aware of how the education/UI process works in New Jersey.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2010, 11:20 AM

22 posts, read 143,124 times
DiorGirl....I appreciate your answer. I am just confused how if I maintain all the requirements for Unemployment (i.e I am looking for work and I am available for work..anytime) AND have NOT enrolled in school/started attending classes can my phone call now effect my UIB. Also I did not know about this program until this morning right before I called and one question for the school was if they even except this program (answer was yes). I thought it would be safe to find this out first (along with the fees of enrolling) BEFORE asking Unemployment about the tuition program. What if I would have went thru the Unemployment orientation to only find out that the fees are like 1200 just to enroll and the school with all my credits (85) don't except this program. Then I wasted my and unemployment's time. I would think there would be some leway on making a call for information.

Old 09-07-2010, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diorgirl View Post
Once again, this is an issue whose administration varies from state to state. In New Jersey -- as Tristateelectrician has stated -- they are very stringent about funding training and paying your UI benefits.

Whether or not it makes sense to someone in another state, the OP is in NJ and will be held to the NJ requirements.

The OP is talking about two issues here:
(1) UI paying for her school; and
(2) UI continuing to pay her UI benefits while she is in school.

Originally I was only looking to apply for financial aid to pay for school, I had no intention of asking UI to pay for it (because I didn't know about the program). I am still okay with F.A. Also If UI doesn't want to pay my UIB while in school I can't stop them but my question is more of if I made a phone call and asked some questions and I am NOT enrolled in classes how can they stop my UIB payments? If I were in school and actively going to class RIGHT NOW I could better see the point but as of RIGHT NOW I am on moster applying for jobs and I called the school back to tell them about the orientation I have to attend so they now know I won't be able to enroll until at least next semester and have "overridden" my acceptance.

Old 09-07-2010, 11:29 AM

1,828 posts, read 4,656,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hannah415 View Post
Originally I was only looking to apply for financial aid to pay for school, I had no intention of asking UI to pay for it (because I didn't know about the program). I am still okay with F.A. Also If UI doesn't want to pay my UIB while in school I can't stop them but my question is more of if I made a phone call and asked some questions and I am NOT enrolled in classes how can they stop my UIB payments? If I were in school and actively going to class RIGHT NOW I could better see the point but as of RIGHT NOW I am on moster applying for jobs and I called the school back to tell them about the orientation I have to attend so they now know I won't be able to enroll until at least next semester and have "overridden" my acceptance.
hannah415, I would definitely call to see the status of your claim after the talk with the last rep. I dont see how they can tell you what they did.

Old 09-07-2010, 11:31 AM

I was specifically told my calling the school put my UIB in danger and they "would be" cut off (not could be). I was also told (when I said I was not enrolled just accepted) that the atteptance letter was enough to have my benefits cut off.

Old 09-07-2010, 11:32 AM

Quote:
DiorGirl....I appreciate your answer. I am just confused how if I maintain all the requirements for Unemployment (i.e I am looking for work and I am available for work..anytime) AND have NOT enrolled in school/started attending classes can my phone call now effect my UIB.
It cannot affect your UI benefits. As stated above, in New Jersey a telephone agent does not have the authority to stop your benefits; he has to refer the matter to a higher level for review. And since he enrolled you for the orientation class, he obviously did not even refer the matter elsewhere.

Quote:
Also I did not know about this program until this morning right before I called and one question for the school was if they even except this program (answer was yes). I thought it would be safe to find this out first (along with the fees of enrolling) BEFORE asking Unemployment about the tuition program. What if I would have went thru the Unemployment orientation to only find out that the fees are like 1200 just to enroll and the school with all my credits (85) don't except this program. Then I wasted my and unemployment's time. I would think there would be some leway on making a call for information.
The issue for UI is not that you called the school for the info -- the issue is that you have an acceptance letter and you told the agent that. Regardless of how you or the school interprets the acceptance letter, for UI an acceptance letter means you have been accepted into a program that has not been pre-approved.

Going through the orientation first is not a waste of time if you want funding for education. As it stands now, you have an acceptance letter from a school that says it takes UI payment, but you have no idea if UI is still making payments to that school for the program you want -- or for how much. Not going through orientation and expecting funding from UI after the fact is just not going to fly in NJ.

Old 09-07-2010, 11:37 AM

Quote:
I was specifically told my calling the school put my UIB in danger and they "would be" cut off (not could be). I was also told (when I said I was not enrolled just accepted) that the atteptance letter was enough to have my benefits cut off.
Then by all means call and report the agent with whom you spoke -- but then be prepared to explain why he also enrolled you in the orientation program if he cut off your benefits.

Old 09-07-2010, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diorgirl View Post
Not going through orientation and expecting funding from UI after the fact is just not going to fly in NJ.
I have no problem with orientation and I did not except UI to pay for school after the fact. These are probably the same assumptions that the rep made...I am not asking to get special treatment or to go around thier policy/procedures. School was a thought before I knew about the program so with or without Unemployment paying for it as long as it is financial possible I would like to do it. Also no matter what it would have to come after work, I need medical benefits so it would not intereferre with my looking and accepting work. I don't know much about the Unemployment process so if I needed to call them first then I made a simple honest mistake so cutting off UIB seems harsh. I can only go by what I am being told. When I was trying to get my extensions payments I was told I would not get them but I was still given an appt so I thought this was the same thing...they can cut me off until I can prove I am not enrolled in school.

Old 09-07-2010, 01:15 PM

Quote:
I have no problem with orientation and I did not except UI to pay for school after the fact. These are probably the same assumptions that the rep made...I am not asking to get special treatment or to go around thier policy/procedures. School was a thought before I knew about the program so with or without Unemployment paying for it as long as it is financial possible I would like to do it. Also no matter what it would have to come after work, I need medical benefits so it would not intereferre with my looking and accepting work. I don't know much about the Unemployment process so if I needed to call them first then I made a simple honest mistake so cutting off UIB seems harsh. I can only go by what I am being told. When I was trying to get my extensions payments I was told I would not get them but I was still given an appt so I thought this was the same thing...they can cut me off until I can prove I am not enrolled in school.
No they can't. In New Jersey your benefits cannot be terminated for enrolling in school. In this case, your benefits can only be terminated if you are unable or unwilling or unable to seek a job or to accept a job when offered.

There is really nothing more I can say to reassure you. You can call UI again and verify what I have told you. You can wait until you claim your next two weeks of benefits and the payment is processed. You can go to the orientation and ask there.

Old 10-10-2012, 08:13 AM

1 posts, read 1,664 times
I am a New Jersey State rsident and have experience with NJ State Unemployment, they are very very strict with there options and you have to follow there rules or at any moment you can lose your benefits. If you are looking for school just call unemployment do not mention that you called a school already or that you ae looking to start school. Advise them that youyare interested in furthering your education to have a better chance to compete in the new markets. Tell them your what you want to do...in New Jersey Unemplyment will tell you what are the schools that are associated with them that they will offer payment for and if you need to enroll in a work for school program, (meaning NJ pays for your school and you do free work for them) Nothign is free in NJ so that is what the state wants they will pay for the school that offers them cheaper rate and they will continue your benefits and you might need to work at your local unemployment off or welfae office for free ....at he end of the day there paying you benefits and they are paying your school its a win win only if ( and here is the CATCH!) If you are studying somethign that is in there area if career choices. They will not pay for you to become a doctor lawyer investment broker etc maybe administration, some kind of technican elcetrican car mechanic, you would have to see there list and talk to them about what your area of education is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment