U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 09-07-2010, 10:04 PM
 
47,585 posts, read 36,146,563 times
Reputation: 21594

Advertisements

Well I think the OP is right to a large degree. It may not be the individual so much as what has happened to the individual. Getting laid off can really throw someone for a loop. It can be like getting hit by a bolt of lightening and it can do a big number on one's self-esteem.

Maybe this unemployed person panics or maybe he or she goes into a depression of sorts. They may try to find a job with an old resume they found tucked away that they didn't think they'd ever need again and it doesn't work. They get more discouraged and more discouraged and the discouragement shows. It shows in the way they walk into an interview if they get one, they almost want to beg to be given a job, they slump, avoid eye contact, or they make too much eye contact trying so hard to be picked.

The longer they go, the less they believe they'll be hired. They begin to see reasons no one would want to hire them, they tell themselves over and over they're too old, or too young, or too overqualified or too underqualified and because they don't believe they should be hired, they can't project to anyone that they should be hired. They're no longer on top of their game.

The biggest thing to getting hired when the competition for jobs is fierce is to convince the employer that you're the right one for the job - but in order to convince the employer, you must be convinced yourself that you're the best candidate. That takes some self-esteem and self-confidence. Confidence in yourself, your experience, your ability.

Sometimes it's hard to recapture all that when it's been knocked out of you.

 
Old 09-07-2010, 11:52 PM
 
8,119 posts, read 8,747,859 times
Reputation: 11601
To quote Eleanor Roosevelt " No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
 
Old 09-08-2010, 04:06 AM
Status: "Merry Christmas" (set 17 days ago)
 
Location: Starbase
1,963 posts, read 843,724 times
Reputation: 1084
For some incredulous reason it can never be that there aren't any jobs out there, instead it just has to be the fault of the incompetent unemployed.

Did the OP ever enumerate the so-called “Plan B”?
 
Old 09-08-2010, 06:36 AM
 
Location: Stuck in NE GA right now
4,552 posts, read 6,322,513 times
Reputation: 6365
The OP and his "friend" seems to have that same old math problem that so many trolls have with that well publicized fact....There are 5-6 people for every 1 job, so that means THERE AREN'T ENOUGH JOBS

The OP, who is apparently employed has come to the unemployment forum again to start something with a worthless, useless thread. Does the OP and his "friend" have nothing better to do than come to this forum with a BS statement and NO facts to back it up.

Me thinks I've found another one to put on my ignor list.
 
Old 09-08-2010, 07:40 AM
 
239 posts, read 456,573 times
Reputation: 161
I said in my orginal posting that I know it is tough out there and there are tons of applicants for every open job. THERE ARE NOT ENOUGH JOBS TO GO AROUND! I admit that.

But most people who look at the situation logically knows that even in today's tough job market thousands of people are being hired every month in America and most people are working and most people who lose their jobs find one within a few months. The long term unemployed for some reason do not find a new job as quickly as most other people. I have to think a good part of the reason is that they have a poorly crafted resume, poor interview skills and need to rethink their job search strategy. (I know that this is not the case all the time but in general a good percentage of the blame for the LONG TERM unemployed is not the economy but the person.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturningWest View Post
The OP and his "friend" seems to have that same old math problem that so many trolls have with that well publicized fact....There are 5-6 people for every 1 job, so that means THERE AREN'T ENOUGH JOBS

The OP, who is apparently employed has come to the unemployment forum again to start something with a worthless, useless thread. Does the OP and his "friend" have nothing better to do than come to this forum with a BS statement and NO facts to back it up.

Me thinks I've found another one to put on my ignor list.
 
Old 09-08-2010, 07:53 AM
 
269 posts, read 374,094 times
Reputation: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Outcast View Post
A friend who works for the employment industry and I were talking about the problem of the long term unemployed. He told me that while he agrees that it is really tough out there he also thinks that many long term unemployed do not sell themselves well to employers. They have a weak resume, poor job search strategy and do not really understand how to promote themselves.

While I know YOU are not like that nor are your friends or relatives who have been unemployed for a long time. But will you accept my friends suggestion that many of the long term unemployed have weak job search skills including a poorly designed resume and weak interview skills. (At least weaker than the typical applicant)
Starting a flame war are we? Get off your pedestal, your poop stinks like everyone else's. Nobody here is looking for over-used, cliché-ridden job search tips from a pretentious, condescending know-nothing. Your "friend" can take along walk off a short pier.
 
Old 09-08-2010, 08:12 AM
 
9,856 posts, read 7,963,291 times
Reputation: 5320
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post
What's Plan B?

I looked only for jobs in Houston the 1st 6 months. Then after only a job in Chicago. Just a rare few nationwide jobs. After my Philippines vacation I will do a nationwide hunt, but maybe exclude CA.

The only thing I don't do is network because I don't believe in ass kissing or using people for jobs.
You have been out of work for 107 weeks and are going on vacation to the Philippines???

You might want to learn how to network. People get hired 40% because of their skills and 60% because of their personality. Show someone your personality by networking and you boost your chance at getting a job.
 
Old 09-08-2010, 08:14 AM
 
87 posts, read 259,105 times
Reputation: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Outcast View Post
A friend who works for the employment industry and I were talking about the problem of the long term unemployed. He told me that while he agrees that it is really tough out there he also thinks that many long term unemployed do not sell themselves well to employers. They have a weak resume, poor job search strategy and do not really understand how to promote themselves.

While I know YOU are not like that nor are your friends or relatives who have been unemployed for a long time. But will you accept my friends suggestion that many of the long term unemployed have weak job search skills including a poorly designed resume and weak interview skills. (At least weaker than the typical applicant)

A "friend" who works in the "employment industry"? What the 'ell is the "employment industry" exactly?

I'm not buyin' what yer sellin'.
 
Old 09-08-2010, 09:48 AM
 
Location: Live in NY State, (sometimes) work in CT
6,642 posts, read 8,401,189 times
Reputation: 2263
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
You have been out of work for 107 weeks and are going on vacation to the Philippines???

You might want to learn how to network. People get hired 40% because of their skills and 60% because of their personality. Show someone your personality by networking and you boost your chance at getting a job.
Uh, if you've read some of this guy's past posts he is originally from the Philippines and has family there, I think it's good to have family to rely on (and that family is probably helping pay for a trip there).
 
Old 09-08-2010, 10:13 AM
Status: "Merry Christmas" (set 17 days ago)
 
Location: Starbase
1,963 posts, read 843,724 times
Reputation: 1084
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Outcast View Post
I said in my orginal posting that I know it is tough out there and there are tons of applicants for every open job. THERE ARE NOT ENOUGH JOBS TO GO AROUND! I admit that.
And how exactly is a redesigned resume going to solve, remedy or do anything about THERE ARE NOT ENOUGH JOBS TO GO AROUND!. It won’t do a thing yet you still seem to feel that a redesigned resume is going to somehow create jobs that ARE NOT THERE.

Where is your “Plan B”?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:07 AM.

© 2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top