Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 07:04 PM

3,739 posts, read 4,633,514 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soda120 View Post
Perhaps Outcast is one of the many clueless, self-righteous employed who believe that they're indispensible.
The Outcast is one of the employed that jumps in and attacks the unemployed and tell them all of the things they are doing wrong. He never thinks that the employers are the ones in the wrong some of the time. After all, employers are just perfect and fair little angels aren't they?

Let's have it Outcast. What role does employers play in all of this? What are some of the unfair things employers do that is contributing to the huge amount of people that remain out of work?

Old 09-08-2010, 08:27 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Outcast View Post
Plan B is to keep trying new things when Plan A doesn't work. In one posters case he/she had been out of work for 18 months- (How is Plan A working for him/her?)

Plan B:

Try a Functional vs Chronological Resume

Hire a professional resume writer

Work with professional people to practice your skills in a mock interview

Look at NEW books on job hunting skills

Spend the day in silence in deep thought and write down everything you have accomplished in the last five years in your career.

Think about how your skills might be accepted in a new career.

Spend more time on the Internet investigating free job search resources

Look at the brochures at the State Job Service about job hunting

Take a class in acting and public speaking to work on your communications skills.

Keep thinking about how you can be a better job hunter, and admit that even in today's tough market people are getting hired mostly because they know how the game is played and work harder and smarter.
There's always Plan C. Plan C is where you admit defeat. You decide that because there are few jobs, you're never going to have one, you can't possibly compete, you're too young or you're too old, or you're too much in the middle age range. The employers do hire a few people - but they just aren't fair. There's no way you can network or improve your resume or approach. So you throw up your arms and the game's over.

And more than that, you're going to teach your kids that they might as well just give up before they start because everything is unfair and the system is rigged so don't bother.

So since the system is rigged and there aren't enough jobs - it comes down to NO ONE should try? Just everyone give up, accept permanent unemployment. We've already given up on changing the politics.

Obviously there are too few jobs - but that's why it's all the more important to try to get one.

Old 09-08-2010, 10:13 PM

2,210 posts, read 7,024,355 times
Quote:
So what would you suspect would be the result of the double blind test? Would the long term unemployed have as strong job hunting skills as the other applicants who happen to find a job sooner? Or is it just luck?
First of all, to be scientific, there shouldn't be a suspicion of an outcome but a null hypothesis which has to be disproven.

However, scientifically speaking, the length of time the average person is unemployed during this recession is more than triple the norm. So either the average person suddenly became 3 times more useless in the last couple of years, or there is a statistical reason why this is so (far too few jobs for qualified applicants).

Don't forget either, where there are 100 applicants for a job, most can be great at presenting themselves, but coming in 2nd still means no job.

Old 09-08-2010, 11:51 PM

2,887 posts, read 2,633,912 times
Quote:
the long term unemployed have poor job hunting skills.

This doesn’t account whatsoever for the employers currently discriminating against the long term unemployed. All the job search skills, interview techniques, revised resumes, assorted plans, etc. in the world isn’t helping anyone who has been out of work for up to 2 years. Unless or until the hostility and negativity currently directed towards the unemployed is rechanneled to see them as valuable resources instead of worthless, lazy bums getting a so-called “handout” employment prospects will continue to remain bleak.

Old 09-09-2010, 12:22 AM

4,432 posts, read 6,980,938 times
Quote:
A friend who works for the employment industry and I were talking about the problem of the long term unemployed. He told me that while he agrees that it is really tough out there he also thinks that many long term unemployed do not sell themselves well to employers. They have a weak resume, poor job search strategy and do not really understand how to promote themselves.

While I know YOU are not like that nor are your friends or relatives who have been unemployed for a long time. But will you accept my friends suggestion that many of the long term unemployed have weak job search skills including a poorly designed resume and weak interview skills. (At least weaker than the typical applicant)
I have been unemployed long term and I still get interviews yet there is so much competition in the job market out there and thats why I not got an job yet.

Old 09-09-2010, 12:25 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
applicant and employer, both in "lone star state of mind" when they walk in the interview room. both determined to not take less than what they think they deserve. both want the moon for five bucks. i will fault the applicants for one thing, they are thinking 2008 economy job market, not 2010.

Old 09-09-2010, 12:26 AM

4,432 posts, read 6,980,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JobZombie View Post
This doesn’t account whatsoever for the employers currently discriminating against the long term unemployed. All the job search skills, interview techniques, revised resumes, assorted plans, etc. in the world isn’t helping anyone who has been out of work for up to 2 years. Unless or until the hostility and negativity currently directed towards the unemployed is rechanneled to see them as valuable resources instead of worthless, lazy bums getting a so-called “handout” employment prospects will continue to remain bleak.
Well yes employers do discriminate against the long term unemployed. In all my interviews I been unemployed for long term and I always get that question, and last time I was asked that I said I could not get an job yet, he asked me do I want an job which I said yes, and he quickly finished the interview after that and never bothered to call me again.

Last edited by other99; 09-09-2010 at 12:28 AM.. Reason: edit

Old 09-09-2010, 02:19 AM

6,612 posts, read 12,837,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by other99 View Post
Well yes employers do discriminate against the long term unemployed. In all my interviews I been unemployed for long term and I always get that question, and last time I was asked that I said I could not get an job yet, he asked me do I want an job which I said yes, and he quickly finished the interview after that and never bothered to call me again.
Catch 22 - "well if you really WANTED a job, you'd have one"

Well yeah that's why I'm HERE you lamebrain - sheeeesh

Old 09-09-2010, 04:10 AM

239 posts, read 894,858 times
So many posters seem like they have just given up. They have told themselves that Plan B is a waste of time and so is Plan C. They assume that they will never get a job and likely show that attitude if they interview. That lack of drive is the number one reason that they can't get a job.

Old 09-09-2010, 07:00 AM

13,350 posts, read 39,938,649 times
The OP's point was made, and it's stirring up some rather strong emotions among some of the posters. This thread has run its course, time to close it.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment