Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2010, 04:38 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,753,748 times

Advertisements

Friday, December 17, 2010

Unemployment climbs in 21 states

The unemployment rate in 21 states and the District of Columbia rose last month, according to a government report out Friday, signaling the persistent joblessness that has plagued the recovery.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2010, 07:53 PM

4,585 posts, read 12,364,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
Friday, December 17, 2010

Unemployment climbs in 21 states

The unemployment rate in 21 states and the District of Columbia rose last month, according to a government report out Friday, signaling the persistent joblessness that has plagued the recovery.
Ugh, I live in Georgia...we had the biggest jump in unemployment. I have friends who for years took a part time seasonal job at places like Boarders and this year they didn't get hired back...there were very very few seasonal jobs available this year in my state.

Old 12-17-2010, 08:01 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,477,246 times
Wisconsin dropped to 7.6% from 7.8%, but I don't believe it. I'm reading about plant closings and layoffs down the road. Our illustrious super-intelligent GOP Gov. Elect just sent back $810 mill fed money to build high speed rail. Company which moved here from Spain to build the train is moving to Illinois. And this genius says he's going to create 250,000 new jobs in the next four years. We aren't called cheeseheads for nothin', sorry to say.

Old 12-17-2010, 10:39 PM

935 posts, read 2,411,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
Wisconsin dropped to 7.6% from 7.8%, but I don't believe it. I'm reading about plant closings and layoffs down the road. Our illustrious super-intelligent GOP Gov. Elect just sent back $810 mill fed money to build high speed rail. Company which moved here from Spain to build the train is moving to Illinois. And this genius says he's going to create 250,000 new jobs in the next four years. We aren't called cheeseheads for nothin', sorry to say.
Don't worry, my area had some residents who had to pay $700 a month for electricity during the winter b/c the electric company kept raising rates even when oil went down. The average household income for the region is about $26,000 now (up a little higher from $22,000). The same people turned down a wind turbine project which would have created hundreds of jobs b/c they thought it would interfere with tourism. Tourism?! In this region?! I know of maybe one person who works in a "tourism" area about 30 minutes away from here, but the majority of our population works in fast food in retail (if they can find work). They also elected someone who basically spits in the face of renewable energy and thinks the entire nation should run on coal and oil with little to no pollution limits. I have nothing against coal, but we could have created more jobs!

I wish they would start building high speed rails throughout the country. It would make it a lot easier for many of us to find jobs that didn't require spending tons of money on a car, gas, wear and tear on vehicles, insurance, traffic, etc. It might take longer, but I love looking out the window and admiring the scenery. I took Eurorail when I was traveling in Europe and my friend and I even slept in compartments with built-in beds. It wasn't the most comfortable experience, but it was pretty cool to say I did it and see Madrid in the process.

Old 12-17-2010, 10:44 PM

Also, does anyone have the complete list of the states? I want to see if Massachusetts is one of the states who gained, lost, or remained the same. I guess I could check my state as well.

Old 12-17-2010, 10:59 PM

126 posts, read 467,636 times
MA is 8.2% and triggerred OFF Tier 4.

Old 12-17-2010, 11:00 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,477,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kattwoman2 View Post
Also, does anyone have the complete list of the states? I want to see if Massachusetts is one of the states who gained, lost, or remained the same. I guess I could check my state as well.
Here you go:

Regional and State Employment and Unemployment Summary

Old 12-17-2010, 11:13 PM

Thanks, MASSun and Ariadne22 .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment