Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 12:11 PM

239 posts, read 895,062 times

Advertisements

My sister in law who has been collecting unemployment benefits for 1 1/2 years on her way to being a 99'er just told me that she was able to get Food Stamps also after she lost her job last year. They give her about $250 a month in food stamps. As long as a single person makes less than $1000 a month in any type of income they can get food stamps. The rest of the family told her she should ask for the earned income tax credit also because she has so little income. Like most people on unemployment she works off the books for cash to supplement the income she gets from unemployment. (She cleans houses for CASH)

What other welfare programs can she get money or benefits while she is unemployed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2010, 12:13 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,839,560 times
Gosh , yet another thread about a "person you know" scamming the system...........

slow day at the office again?

Old 10-07-2010, 12:31 PM

She was qualified for food stamps and unemployment insurance benefits according to State Officals, no scam here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
Gosh , yet another thread about a "person you know" scamming the system...........

slow day at the office again?

Old 10-07-2010, 12:36 PM

She's "working under the table cleaning houses for CASH" - your words my dear - "no scam here"? think again.

Also I call BS - if she's your SIL, presumably she has a husband (your brother) - if he's working, no way her "household" would qualify for food stamps - sorry. Try again. IF she's "a single person" what state is she in that her UE for a month is less than $1000, and no WAY she'd qualify for $250 in FS per month on income of $1000 unless she has minor children.

Also this little sentence of yours
Quote:
Like most people on unemployment she works off the books for cash to supplement the income she gets from unemployment
is an obvious attempt to paint MOST of the UE with a wide brush. I don't know ANYone that is collecting UE benefits that's working "off the books" - YMMV

Old 10-07-2010, 01:14 PM

3,727 posts, read 7,033,188 times
Quote:
She's "working under the table cleaning houses for CASH" - your words my dear - "no scam here"? think again.

Also I call BS - if she's your SIL, presumably she has a husband (your brother) - if he's working, no way her "household" would qualify for food stamps - sorry. Try again. IF she's "a single person" what state is she in that her UE for a month is less than $1000, and no WAY she'd qualify for $250 in FS per month on income of $1000 unless she has minor children.

Also this little sentence of yours is an obvious attempt to paint MOST of the UE with a wide brush. I don't know ANYone that is collecting UE benefits that's working "off the books" - YMMV
Maybe her husband isn't workinger either?

Actually, I believe single people making 1,000 can get food stamps. I looked it up when I went on UI, but I make more than that so I can't get them now.

I WISH I could find an under the table job. I'd do it in a heartbeat. (On ui, off ui, working full-time, whatever)

Old 10-07-2010, 01:22 PM

Quote:
The rest of the family told her she should ask for the earned income tax credit also because she has so little income
fwiw - she cannot claim the EIC on UE benefits as for EIC purposes that is considered UNearned income, so your "family" is wrong.

Old 10-07-2010, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYChistorygal View Post
Maybe her husband isn't workinger either?

Actually, I believe single people making 1,000 can get food stamps. I looked it up when I went on UI, but I make more than that so I can't get them now.

I WISH I could find an under the table job. I'd do it in a heartbeat. (On ui, off ui, working full-time, whatever)
Yep, but it's not $250 a month - I checked my state's calculator and single with $1,000 income would only qualify you for $145 a month. They also include ALL in the household, so unless he's also not working AND has no income (even UE), it doesn't compute.

You mean you're also not one of the "most unemployed" that are working under the table? lol - I'm not even sure how people come across the under the table jobs tbh.

Old 10-07-2010, 01:32 PM

3,727 posts, read 7,033,188 times
Quote:
Yep, but it's not $250 a month - I checked my state's calculator and single with $1,000 income would only qualify you for $145 a month. They also include ALL in the household, so unless he's also not working AND has no income (even UE), it doesn't compute.

You mean you're also not one of the "most unemployed" that are working under the table? lol - I'm not even sure how people come across the under the table jobs tbh.
I wouldn't do it actually. I'm painfully honest and certainly wouldn't risk my UI checks to make a few bucks. I can see how some people would though.

The only under table jobs around here are taken by illegals anyway (whole 'nuther thread).

I'll have to check the calculator and see what i'm eligible for when ui runs out. I know I can only get a few hundred in food stamps. I don't have kids, so I'm punished for being responsible..

Old 10-07-2010, 01:34 PM

She is single with no children but lives with her sister. According the rules of the State of Maryland you can collect a little over $200 in food stamps if you have an income of under $1000 a month. She makes about $900 a month in unemployment. She is fine because she lives rent free with her sister and helps out with the kids. Here is a link for more information:

Eligibility

I was told that most people who are collecting unemployment will try to get some off the books income to supplement their earnings. She put up signs all over the place advertising she would clean people's homes and got some phone calls and now that she has done a good job some referrals. Cash only no one would know.

Quote:

Also this little sentence of yours is an obvious attempt to paint MOST of the UE with a wide brush. I don't know ANYone that is collecting UE benefits that's working "off the books" - YMMV

Old 10-07-2010, 02:33 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,524,243 times
Quote:

I can give you one state who's low earners are making less than $1000/month on UE; South Carolina. Imagine living on that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment