Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2010, 03:17 AM

6,612 posts, read 12,841,462 times

Advertisements

Not that those of us in this category weren't already well aware of it.......

Quote:
The typical unemployed worker spends about eight months out of a job, but for people over 50, finding a new job can take a lot longer — if it happens at all.
Jobless After 50? You May Be Out of Luck : NPR
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2010, 06:57 AM

4,585 posts, read 12,365,699 times
Yup, no surprise to those of us over 50 I'll be 60 years old tomorrow BTW). I have great up to date computer skills, still type 55wpm, re-educated myself to a profession where there are jobs - Phlebotomist, and still nothing. I was getting interviews for phlebotomy but now I'm not even getting those as I live in a rural area and I've interviewed at all the local places. The best I've gotten so far is "you were/are one of the top candidates" That doesn't put food on the table or pay my bills.

We can't turn back the clock, what are we supposed to do? One job I'd applied for that I was more than qualified for, had good references and it was also a "network", one of my refrences goes to church with the hiring manager - yet still no job, it went to a 20 something that has no clue as to how to do the job that requires a legal background in real estate (I have over 7 years of experience). My reference was and is furious that I didn't get the job and is going to support me in a EEOC complaint, he's a real estate/foreclosure lawyer so he does know what he's talking about. It still won't get me a job though.

In my culture, elders are considered a wealth of knowledge and are honored and listened to, most are thrilled that an elder will take the time to talk to them and teach them.

Just because we are older doesn't mean we can not do the job, I'm not asking for additional pay because of my experience, I'm willing to start at the bottom again.

According to some statistics 85% or more of the 99ers are over 50 and this doesn't bode well for us.

Old 10-10-2010, 10:27 AM

3,727 posts, read 7,034,543 times
Over 40 isn't doing well either.

Old 10-10-2010, 10:51 AM

61 posts, read 182,051 times
^ +1

Old 10-10-2010, 11:11 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,364,053 times
That is pretty true. My Mom got fired a few years ago, and just collected her pension and coasted until she started social security this year at age 62. She could not find a job at all, that and dealing with the depression of losing her career (she was forced out and just overwhelmed with having to look for work). I kept trying to help her, but she was so bitter about the whole thing she did not want to even deal with anything. She is working now, at such a menial job, it breaks my heart. She is a smart woman, with a masters degree...Worked 20 years at the same job. Then, new management, and tossed out like trash. The new reality of work.

Old 10-10-2010, 11:15 AM

2,499 posts, read 3,248,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
That is pretty true. My Mom got fired a few years ago, and just collected her pension and coasted until she started social security this year at age 62. She could not find a job at all, that and dealing with the depression of losing her career (she was forced out and just overwhelmed with having to look for work). I kept trying to help her, but she was so bitter about the whole thing she did not want to even deal with anything. She is working now, at such a menial job, it breaks my heart. She is a smart woman, with a masters degree...Worked 20 years at the same job. Then, new management, and tossed out like trash. The new reality of work.
You cant collect a pension if you're fired, was she laid off???

Old 10-10-2010, 11:19 AM

2,499 posts, read 3,248,183 times
I saw a news blip about the over-55's job woes. I'm 56 myself and not getting many interviews.
I may just get by and collect SS when Im 62. Im fortunate to have some cash reserves I can stretch...ya gotta take what life hands you!!
BTW I also read the top 2% of Americans are doing very well with all the tax breaks from the previous administration..thats criminal.

Old 10-10-2010, 12:15 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,482,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquaboy View Post
You cant collect a pension if you're fired, was she laid off???
That depends on the provisions of the pension plan. Fired for gross misconduct like embezzlement would probably disqualify her from collecting a pension. Fired/terminated because of restructuring, management/ownership change, or position elimination through no fault of the employee - she is entitled to her benefit. Perhaps in this case, fired has too strong of a connotation. During my former employer's restructuring, positions were eliminated and those of retirement age were classified as "retired," albeit involuntary.

Old 10-10-2010, 01:10 PM

7,975 posts, read 7,351,944 times
I'm 50, and have applied for all the jobs I could from menial (dietary aide and dollar store), to medical records clerk in a hospital, to part-time "Administrative Assistant", to legal assistant (my former field). The only job I winded up getting in eight months of searching? A seasonal vegetable picking job at a local farm. But I was told I "put those young kids to shame," and "why don't you take breaks?" I did take breaks, but not as often. I found that drinking water instead of pop and wearing white cotton keeps you cooler in the hot sun, longer. And I learned how to shift positions to save wear and tear on my back. I was the oldest female out there, probably the oldest of all the workers.

It's too bad an office couldn't give me such a chance to prove myself.

Old 10-11-2010, 06:22 AM

306 posts, read 605,507 times
More sobering news!!!

Unemployed find old jobs now require more skills - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20101011/ap_on_bi_ge/us_tougher_jobs - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment