Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2010, 09:32 PM

3,814 posts, read 11,973,430 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
Emergency Unemployment Compensation (EUC) Extended to November 30, 2010
FYI -- November 30, 2010 is the deadline set in the legislation. That does not mean that a claimant is entitled to qualify for these benefits through November 30 -- it means that the states cannot accept candidates for these benefits any later than November 30.

As with all federal legislation of this kind, that legal deadline is subject to practical application by the states. Accordingly, all the states have always based EUC Tier program eligibility cut-offs on the UI week -- which starts on Sunday and ends on Saturday.

In addition, because the states have determined that more processing time is required to move a claimant from regular benefits to Tier I, the states set the standard eligibility cut-off date for Tier I one week earlier that the cut-off dates for Tiers II, III, and IV.

These eligibility cut-off dates for the EUC Tiers should be specified on your state's UI website.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2010, 06:55 PM

1 posts, read 1,820 times
I dont understand any of this i dont know what tier im on or when my benefits expire or anything I have been on unemployment since December, thats when my claim went through and payments began I was laid off officially as of November 27th or 2009. I got my first six months then that ran out and I had to wait for the extension to pass. It did and I began receiving payments in I think August retroactive to when it ended. I just received something in the mail that said "last week of payment 4-30-2011". Now it sounds like that may not be true or apply to me. I threw that paper out accidently. I have basically been on UE come december for a year. Is the 4-30-11 date true? I dont give a crap about tiers and all that it makes ZERO sense. Why the heck isn't it the same for all in your state regardless of when you were laid off. Some people get 99 weeks everyone should. I am in Illinois. Please help me make sense of all this. I am totally clueless. Everyone should get the same amount of time.

Old 11-05-2010, 08:22 PM

25,578 posts, read 56,455,902 times
April 30, 2011 is the date all payments under any of the Tiers can be made. You are probably by now beginning Tier 2. You can collect all benefits on that tier anytime before April 30, 2011 even if EUC is not extended past November 30, 2010.

Here are two good posts. They should answer most of your questions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by diorgirl View Post
The maximum number of weeks of unemployment benefits which is currently available is 99:
• Regular benefits
- up to 26 weeks
• EUC Tier I
- up to 20 weeks
• EUC Tier II
- up to 14 weeks
• EUC Tier III
- up to 13 weeks (state must have a three-month average unemployment rate of at least 6%).
• EUC Tier IV - up to 6 weeks (state must have a three-month average unemployment rate of at least 8.5%).
• EB - up to 13 weeks (state must have a three-month average unemployment rate of at least 6%).
• High EB - up to an additional 7 weeks (state must have a three-month average unemployment rate of at least 8%).

The unemployment rate triggers for EB can vary from state to state. However, most states opt for the three-month average unemployment rate triggers listed above. In addition, most states discontinue EB when the 100% federal funding expires for EB, and the funding formula reverts to the traditional split of 50% federal/50% state.

New Jersey currently meets the triggers to provide up to the maximum of 99 weeks of benefits. In addition, NJ continues to provide EB after the 100% federal funding expires -- the state automatically reverts to the traditional 50% federal/50% state formula.
Quote:
Originally Posted by diorgirl View Post
There has been continuing confusion about eligibility cut-off dates versus expiration dates for federal unemployment benefits. In summary:

(1) EUC Tiers/Eligibility cut-off dates - The most recently passed federal legislation extended the eligibility cut-off dates for the EUC Tiers to the end of November 2010. The latest you can move from regular benefits to Tier I is on or before Sunday, November 21; that means you must exhaust your regular benefits no later than Saturday, November 20. The latest that you can move from one Tier to the next is Sunday, November 28. That means you must exhaust your current Tier on or before Saturday, November 27, because Sunday, November 28 is the last day you can start a new Tier.

(2) EUC Tiers/Expiration date - The expiration date of the EUC Tiers program is different than the eligibility cut-off dates. The expiration date is the last day on which benefits will be paid by the program -- currently that is April 30, 2011. Typically, the expiration date is about five months after the eligibility cut-off dates -- which gives anyone who starts the longest Tier (20 weeks) on the last eligible date enough time to collect all 20 weeks, assuming you collect your full benefit each week.

(3) EB/Expiration date - At this time, EB is 100% federally funded through December 4, 2010. This December 4 expiration date is the EB equivalent of the April 30, 2011, expiration date set for the EUC Tiers. Many states discontinue EB when the 100% federal funding expires; other states revert to the traditional funding split of 50% federal/50% states, and continue to provide EB.

(4) FAC/Expiration date - The FAC program was not extended by the recent legislation, so you must have filed your claim for regular unemployment benefits before the end of May 2010 to qualify for the $25 weekly FAC payment. If you are already collecting the FAC, that program will expire on December 11, 2010 -- no further FAC payments will be made after that date.

The eligibility cut-off dates and expiration dates I have noted above are all current. For these dates to be extended, Congress must enact new legislation with new dates.

Old 11-06-2010, 07:36 AM

3,814 posts, read 11,973,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tristateelectrician View Post
for the states that payout EB regardless of fed funding after the cutoff dates, there is no end date for those state programs.
Not true. All states -- even those for whom the source of funding is not a criterion for EB -- are held to the mandatory three-month average unemployment rate triggers in order to continue to offer EB.

EB must be triggered by a three-month average unemployment rate of at least 6%; High EB must be triggered by a three-month average unemployment rate of at least 8%. When a state's TUR falls below one of those triggers, that level of EB is no longer offered in that state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment