Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2010, 03:14 PM

15 posts, read 54,355 times

Advertisements

I will be exhausting my regular benefits on November 16th, that is the day i can file for my last check. Will i qualify for tier in time or even at all. The people at the unemployment office said they could not give me an exact answer, but they made it seem as all tiers were going to be cut off on November 30th. Any help clarification would be appreciated. I don not live in NJ but collect from the state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2010, 04:48 PM

3,814 posts, read 11,973,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killbill3 View Post
I will be exhausting my regular benefits on November 16th, that is the day i can file for my last check. Will i qualify for tier in time or even at all. The people at the unemployment office said they could not give me an exact answer, but they made it seem as all tiers were going to be cut off on November 30th. Any help clarification would be appreciated. I don not live in NJ but collect from the state.
The short answer is yes -- you will be able to begin Tier I before the eligibility cut-off date for the EUC Tiers.

You say that you file your last claim for benefits on November 16 (Tuesday) -- but you actually exhaust your regular benefits on the previous Saturday, November 13. That means that you will begin Tier I on Sunday, November 14.

Unemployment weeks run from Sunday to Saturday in all states -- regardless of the day on which you actually file for benefits. Check your stubs -- you'll see that your benefit weeks end on Saturday.

The cut-off dates are the day you exhaust a level (Saturday) and the day you begin a new level (Sunday) -- not the day you file.

To begin Tier I, you must exhaust your regular benefits no later than Saturday, November 20; Sunday, November 21, is the last day you can begin Tier I. If you exhaust your benefits in a Tier no later than Saturday, November 27 (regardless of when you file in the subsequent week), you can move to the next Tier on Sunday, November 28. Tier I has always had an earlier cut-off date than Tiers II, III, and IV.

You will be able to collect the full 20 weeks of Tier I, because you will have begun this Tier before the cut-off date. But unless Congress extends the current eligibility cut-off dates past the end of November, you will not be able to proceed to Tier II. At that time, you may be eligible for EB.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment