Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 03:03 AM

71 posts, read 80,489 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemorse View Post
well some good points in your post.

Listen here is the one thing no one said yet, YOU CAN INVEST IN that CORP!! You can do what some have done and start right after college investing in some corps., hold the stock and wait for the long haul!! I mean dont panic and hold and then wait. In 30 years I am sure you will be on the plus side! Now I know it takes money to invest so thats the hard part. But we can INVEST IN THAT GREEDY CORP! You have a choice.
Sure, you can invest in banks that rip off people with mortgage fraud, you can invest in oil companies that defy environmental laws and then pay the fines as part of their routine cost of doing business, you can invest in companies like Monsanto that pollute the earth and destroy our seed bank... etc. etc. ad nauseum... if that's what you want to do... for profit...
if you can sleep at night knowing you're screwing up the planet and its people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2010, 11:21 AM

3,120 posts, read 8,049,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielpalos View Post
Solving official poverty via market friendly means could solve the dilemma you present and render this issue a moot point. It could be accomplished with unemployment compensation that conforms to the federal at-will employment doctrine and state at-will employment laws.
Could you please elaborate on that? How will it address the problem?

Will it somehow dramatically reduce the supply of labor worldwide? Will it end the nation's trade deficit? What are the "market friendly means" that will solve the problem?

How is unemployment compensation going to prevent the nation from becoming poorer? Where will the money to provide the unemployment compensation come from?

Do you even understand the nature of the problem? The problem is, if the supply of labor increases dramatically relative to capital (the demand), the supply curve shifts out and intersects the demand curve at a lower price point (wages, standard of living, purchasing power, etc.). I don't see how any sort of "market friendly means" can address that fundamental problem. The only solution is for the government to enact policies to insulate us from global labor arbitrage.

Old 11-05-2010, 09:47 AM

2,794 posts, read 3,673,413 times
The goal is to actually solve official poverty via market friendly means instead of simply paying tribute to the evil poverty empire for over thirty years. The federal at-will employment doctrine and state at-will employment laws are already existing solutions to the phenomena of a "natural" unemployment rate and economics normally associated with that lack of income that would normally be obtained by providing labor input to a more efficient economy. Thus, official poverty can be solved when due to a simple lack of income that is normally associated with employment through recourse to unemployment compensation whenever a person can claim to be naturally unemployed.

Such a public policy will not need to address the issue of labor from foreign States since that issue should be addressed with a market friendly work visa that could require minimum standards provisions for catastrophic forms of insurance.

As a social safety net, unemployment compensation that actually solves poverty sets a limit on how "poor" our republic can be; if we achieve the public policy goal of eliminating official poverty via metrics established for the Union. As that form of income redistribution, it is more market friendly than welfare, as we currently know it, and provides metrics that are useful to the private sector. It can also have the effect of increasing the circulation of money in money based markets; which will benefit Commerce. Most of the money would come from where it has come from traditionally, the private sector; because, private sector metrics are a requirement in a mixed-market economy. The public sector would only make up shortfalls, like it does now. Revenue could be generated with a market friendly work visa and could fund poverty elimination public policy schemes, raised from foreign labor participating in US markets.

Why should it matter much, where that new equilibrium is, if native US labor can be subsidized on an at-will basis whenever they can claim to be naturally unemployed? With recourse to an income on the same at-will basis as employment relationships, native US labor could go to school to become more marketable, learn a new and more marketable vocation, or simply pursue Happiness while stimulating our economy with market friendly transactions and paying general forms of taxes on those transactions.

Old 11-06-2010, 05:48 PM

71 posts, read 80,489 times
One thing I would like to add to the discussion above is that major economists state that extending unemployment insurance will contribute to the recovery of the economy because all the money given to people who are living at or near poverty level on UI benefits, goes right back into the economy for things like food, clothing, rent and so on.
  • Lawrence Summers, Director of the White House National Economic Council was quoted as saying, “The reality is that the most important economic impact of extending relief through unemployment insurance is to increase consumer spending, thereby contributing to employment, not to prolong joblessness.” According to the Labor Department, Unemployment grew in more than half of U.S. states in August, the largest number in six months.
  • According to the USA TODAY’s quarterly survey of 46 leading economists, “their median estimates are for a 9.4% jobless rate at year’s end and 8.5% at the end of 2011. More than 80% say the U.S. won’t regain all jobs lost in the recession until 2013 or later”.
  • The Census numbers have revealed that 1 in 7 Americans live in poverty, the highest percentage since 1994. Douglas Besharov, a University of Maryland public policy professor and former scholar at the conservative American Enterprise Institute said,” Given all the unemployment we saw, it's the government safety net that's keeping people above the poverty line”.
The American 99’ers Union recognizes that America’s economic system is based upon the laws of supply and demand. We now have a nation with over 5 million Americans, and an additional 91,000 each month no longer able to invest in our Country's economy through the purchase of goods and services. How will America ever return to profitability, in turn saving American businesses and preserving the jobs of those Americans currently on the brink of joining the ranks of the unemployed? Extending unemployment insurance as S.3706 (The Americans Want To Work Act) provides will allow for an immediate return on Washington’s investment by allowing Americans to invest back in America.

Old 11-08-2010, 09:23 AM

50 posts, read 240,294 times
This is all my points, we are YEARS away from recovery so how the hell can the stick to this Nov 21st 2010 CUTOFF DATE for extensions, etc, on the unemployed such as myself. I lost my job this May 2010 and now after my 26weeks are up they are basically going to be saying to me, "Oh well goodbye you are past the Nov21st deadline so your beat".... this is BS !!! Start worrying about the people and do the right thing, this State (NJ) and country are still awaysssssssss away from getting out of this RECCESION !

Old 11-08-2010, 10:13 AM

3,814 posts, read 11,963,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menace7 View Post
This is all my points, we are YEARS away from recovery so how the hell can the stick to this Nov 21st 2010 CUTOFF DATE for extensions, etc, on the unemployed such as myself. I lost my job this May 2010 and now after my 26weeks are up they are basically going to be saying to me, "Oh well goodbye you are past the Nov21st deadline so your beat".... this is BS !!! Start worrying about the people and do the right thing, this State (NJ) and country are still awaysssssssss away from getting out of this RECCESION !
As previously explained to you on several other threads here, in New Jersey you are not completely cut off on November 21 -- you may still be eligible to collect EB if you exhaust your regular benefits after November 21...
Quote:
Originally Posted by diorgirl View Post
Many states discontinue EB when the 100% federal funding for those benefits expires. New Jersey does NOT discontinue EB at that time.

As long as New Jersey continues to meet the three-month average unemployment rates required to trigger EB, the state continues to offer those benefits. When 100% federal funding expires, the funding reverts to 50% federal/50% state. New Jersey then pays the 50% state funding and the state does continue EB.

Old 11-08-2010, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee021362 View Post
It looks like just getting the current deadlines extended is going to be a battle:

Republicans draw line on tax cut; say no compromising with Democrats

They are doing this while Obama stated just yesterday that he would compromise on the tax cuts for the rich. The Repub's are saying you want the UB extensions, give the tax cuts for the rich. Obama is willing to give the tax break for couple of years, but not ten. This is exactly why they were elected, to look out for their party, not the people.
Historically, during times of war, taxes were raised (not lowered) on the rich for the duration of the armed conflict.

If we can afford to lower taxes, are we really at "War". If we can afford to lower taxes because we are not "really" at war; then why not simply end our wars on abstractions and then lower taxes? According to some proponents of lower taxes as a panacea for economic recovery, by ending our wars on abstractions and lowering taxes through that reduction in government, we can enjoy the bliss of the general prosperity.

Such friction in the market for labor can be ameliorated by unemployment compensation on the same at-will basis as employment relationships.

Old 11-10-2010, 10:55 AM

Anything new on unemployment legislation lately, even in the states?

Old 11-11-2010, 12:19 AM

2,887 posts, read 2,629,098 times
I recently watched the 60 Minutes episode and have to say that it was depressing and information I’m already painfully well aware of. The OP mentioned the haters and hopefully it might change a few of their tunes and attitudes out there but I’m not holding my breath. I spoke to an individual in person who vehemently believes that we’ve gone through economic downturns and prolonged joblessness exactly like this many times before in the past 25 years. Incredible. This family friend actually believes or more accurately chooses to deny that we are in the worst economic recession since the Great Depression. I myself wish his ill informed and sadly misguided claims were true but unfortunately the facts and figures represent otherwise.

Old 11-11-2010, 09:44 AM

Maybe we can work on our bumper sticker philosophy while petitioning for redress of grievances. What are some objections to simply bearing true witness to our own laws and doctrines?

If we can afford to lower taxes in this economic climate, do we really need the tax burden of our discretionary wars on abstractions if we are also running massive deficits?

The federal government should conduct its social experiments regarding income transfer schemes in DC and other federal property where our federal Congress can legislate, in all Cases whatsoever.

The several States of the Union should be free to pursue Happiness, in any manner that best promotes and provides for their general welfare. The States' delegated power to pay the debts should be more rigorously petitioned for by any State establishing federal metric for the Union. In my opinion, a simple majority of States should be enough to establish cause for federal assumptions for State debts; and especially for those States establishing federal metrics (as in the analogous example of interState highway funding.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment